Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Wrangler Holster

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Wrangler Holster

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:19 pm

Some of you may remember the pouch I made for .22s so I could wander around the farm and plink.

22 completed.jpg
22 completed.jpg (116.53 KiB) Viewed 671 times

It was always my intention to make an accompanying holster for the Ruger Wrangler .22 to go along with that pouch. A knock around gun in case we came across a varmint, an evil Tin Can that needed shootin'; whatever. The dreadful triple digit heat and some other medical issues have kept me from it, but I have been out in the shop every couple days playing with the design, especially after seeing a fellow leatherworker show off a nice holster project recently.

My first shot went well, to start. I got the holster cut out and the test "fold" looked good. I laid out the area for tooling and got started. My Gimp hand started to hurt after the cutting out and layout but I thought I could finish the basket weave. A mistake. :evil: It got away from me. Nope. I put it aside and quit for the day. Note the loss of the pattern.

nope.jpg
nope.jpg (166.72 KiB) Viewed 671 times

It's okay, I had stamped this version with my new maker's mark stamp and applied a bit too much force in my stroke blurring the lettering.
Guess I'll strike a tad lighter in the next application. It should read: "BrokenolMarine" if I hadn't blurred it.

makers mark.jpg
makers mark.jpg (160.52 KiB) Viewed 671 times

I had appointments the next day, so the day after I recut the pattern. I took my time and then laid 'er out again. Then quit for the day. I came out the next morning and tooled HALF the basketweave and quit. Tooled the rest the following day. I was pleased with that.

second shot at basket weave.jpg
second shot at basket weave.jpg (157.15 KiB) Viewed 671 times

I went out this morning and tossed the rough strap I had cut out, and using an old high end gunbelt strap as a template, I cut out a new strap, adapting the length to fit my needs, placing holes where I needed them, and then tooling the strap to accent my pattern. I was pretty happy with it.

retention strap.jpg
retention strap.jpg (168.98 KiB) Viewed 671 times

Here is the Ruger Wrangler laid on the rough.

wrangler.jpg
wrangler.jpg (159.57 KiB) Viewed 671 times

There is still quite a bit to do. I'll have to line the holster to protect the gun from the hardware, finish the edges of the strap and the holster, make and sew the belt loop on the back, after deciding on cross draw or strong side. Yup, lots to do. I'll dye the holster and strap before most of the above....

Busy.. beats zoning in the recliner.
7 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Wrangler Holster

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:32 pm

Can't wait to see the finished product, Marine, as well as a range report on the Wrangler. Keep us posted.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:23 pm

Nice work Jim! As NCG said...looking forward to the finished project.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:38 am

That’s a very nice looking holster! I like the Wranglers too. Carry permits are very hard to get here, so I have little to no use for handguns anymore, or I’d have a Wrangler and likely a Vaquero as well.
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:13 am

Beautiful leather work Marine! Your work is very nice. Great idea to take a .22 along on trips around the property "just in case" .
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:15 am

That “BOM” logo is great. That’s a nice touch.
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:14 pm

Looking good and what a talent to have!
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:50 pm

While I was in the shop working on the Rifle Rest, I worked on the Wrangler Holster again. I formed the belt loop for the back of the holster. This entails cutting out the shape then wet forming it over a scrap piece of belt the right size.

07 forming belt loop.jpg
07 forming belt loop.jpg (96.38 KiB) Viewed 460 times

After that I burnished ALL the edges. The holster, strap edges, and the belt Loop edges. You dampen the edges and apply Japanese burnishing gum, and buff lightly with a burnishing tool. You can even use a screwdriver handle, or the shaft of one. It's not about pressure but friction. Burnishing seals the edges of the leather grain to keep out the dirt and moisture that can cause the leather to peel apart with use.

08 burnished all edges.jpg
08 burnished all edges.jpg (210.63 KiB) Viewed 460 times

Once everything dries and sets, I'll sew down the belt loop, attach the tie down to the back with the Chicago Screw, and screw on the stud on the front side. Then it will be time to glue in the lining. After trimming everything , I'll antique the panel and strap. Then I can sew up the holster. Once that's done, I can put on the final finish. She'll be done and ready to use. It should match up with the 22 ammo pouch rather nicely.

;)
2 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:50 pm

Back out, and stained the back of the strap, and the belt loop brown for contrast. Added a second maker's mark to the loop.
Then glued the belt loop in place with contact cement and clamped it to let it set up. Once that is done I'll stitch it in place. :)

09 glue up.jpg
09 glue up.jpg (107.01 KiB) Viewed 419 times

Slowly but surely. This thing may not be perfect, but it's a learning experience. The next one will have inlays, and be for the Birds Head .357 with a matching belt and knife sheath. THAT will be a project I'll enjoy. ;)
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:19 pm

Went out this morning after breakfast to work on the holster. Took it out of the clamps and slipped a belt scrap in the loop and set up the Cowboy machine. I took a deep breath and sewed down the edges of the loop. I took my time, sewed at the slowest rate the machine would go and was really happy that all my practice had paid off.

10 sewn.jpg
10 sewn.jpg (143.7 KiB) Viewed 382 times

Time to cut off the Irish Pennants, as we called them in the Corps. Some call them tag ends. I guess with Cancel Culture these days, Irish Pennants would be "Wrong." I'm Scots-Irish and Indian.. and not offended, but ... :? I added a handy little battery powered tool to the drawer not too long ago. Works great. A cauterizing tool. Cuts and burns the thread ends at the same time.

11 cuts and burns.jpg
11 cuts and burns.jpg (103.41 KiB) Viewed 382 times

I am very pleased with the way this turned out. NOT perfect, but a lot better than previous attempts and practice runs. I hope when I sew the holster together it looks as good. :)

12 Im happy.jpg
12 Im happy.jpg (111.86 KiB) Viewed 382 times

I coated the finished sides of the leather with a top coat, to put a barrier between the leather and the antiquing to come. That way the excess will wipe off clean. Left it to dry. When I go out in an hour or so the final look will start to show. I'll antique it, then wipe it and get the look I want and leave it to dry. When I go back out I'll put on the finish, and leave it to dry again. Then when I come back out I'll glue in the lining.

13 top coat.jpg
13 top coat.jpg (141.3 KiB) Viewed 382 times
2 x