Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Fire resistant file cabinet oops

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Fire resistant file cabinet oops

Post by Ernie » Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:28 pm

Saturday I bought a used 2 drawer file cabinet that is fire resistant up to an hour at 1700º Got cement in the walls and weighs close to 300lbs. I am thinking I will store powder in it and put my ammo in the big safe which is cement lined as well. Even if the ammo starts to cook off it ain't going through all that steel and cement and I figure the cabinet isn't tight enough to be a bomb.
I asked the seller if they could help me load the cabinet into my suv and they agreed. It turned out to be a couple of energetic young men and in the process of loading, the end of my ring finger was pinched between the cabinet and the floor of the car. Fortunately I had a cargo blanket underneath so I did not break a bone but it popped the finger about half way around at the first joint. I pushed the stuff back in and pulled down the skin then wrapped it tightly in a shop rag and drove to the hospital with the hand raised. It pretty much stopped bleeding by the time I got to the hospital and I left it open. They insisted on x rays and then I sat there for a couple hours while the emergency room filled up. A nurses assistant poked at it and asked if I had glued it. I told her no and she said it would probably need a couple stitches anyway. After another half hour a lady came buy to collect my insurance information so I paid her my deductible and left. Never did get to see a doctor or get it cleaned up. Went home and washed it with some antibacterial soap, slathered on some Mupriacin ointment and wrapped it up. Twice a day I wash it up, rinse it with peroxide, add more ointment and wrap it up again. There is almost no swelling and today no bleeding after cleaning. I doesn't hurt unless I hit it and it is looking ok. I should have just gone home and taken care of it in the first place.
Today a friend and his brother helped me unload the beast and I have it on a furniture dolly until I decide where I wish to place it because I am not willingly moving it again . :lol:
1 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Fire resistant file cabinet oops

Post by Rifletom » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:07 pm

Glad you're doing better. The Beast that bit you. Ha, sounds like a song or something.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:29 pm

Ouch!! Ernie. Almost nothing hurts more than a finger tip injury. More nerve endings than anywhere else on the body. Been there, done that. Glad you're doing better. Hope you get that beast parked soon!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:11 pm

I have abused my hands terribly. I know what you are going through. Sounds like you have it well in hand. Pardon the pun. It always helps to keep it above your head, when practical. Be safe, my friend.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

TheBackyardRange
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TheBackyardRange » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:24 pm

Ouch. That doesn’t sound like any fun. About 5 years ago, I was helping my brother unload one of those all in one 3 station home gyms from his truck. He had taken it apart into sections. I grabbed a big piece not paying attention in the dark, lifted it up over the bedside. When I did, the weight shifted and an attached arm swung down. My thumb was in a pinch point. Whe it swung down, my brother said he heard the bones snap through my leather glove. Shattered my thumb into 7 pieces. Had I not had the leather glove on, it would have pinched it off.
0 x
“If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” ― Ronald Reagan

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:43 am

I had designed 8" steel plates to fit over rebar rods driven into the ground with the rebar sliding into closed pockets on the back of the 8" plates. You could set up a falling plate rack, but the plates would ring but not fall when shot. You could place individual plates along a walking trail as targets, again, they would ring, but not fall.

Setting up the plates for a shoot one morning, one of the two rods missed the pocket, and traveled up the inside edge to the solid steel cap across the two pockets on the back of the plates and broke the tip of my right pinky at the first (last) joint. I knew something was really wrong when the tip pointed 90 degrees to my right away from the hand. Nearly cut the tip off. :o

After the initial flash of pain, it didn't hurt too bad. :? Until I stuck it into the spigot for the 300' well and the COLD water woke up the nerves. :shock: :twisted:

Doc said more nerve endings there than most any other location. That's why they torture you by pulling fingernails. They were able to fix mine, but took a couple months. ;)
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:28 pm

I know better than moving something like that without hashing it over first, especially with people I don't know. My fault.
I think I will weld up a wheeled base for the cabinet. I have been adding wheels to my larger tools and it makes sense to keep this mobile as well.
2 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:06 pm

I have everything in the shop on mobile bases except the drillpress, too tall, too topheavy. My luck it would hit a dust particle and tip. That bad boy stays put.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:21 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:06 pm
I have everything in the shop on mobile bases except the drillpress, too tall, too topheavy. My luck it would hit a dust particle and tip. That bad boy stays put.
Yeah, the drill press is not on my wheel list for that reason.
0 x