Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Taking a Class

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Taking a Class

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:40 pm

Miss T and I will be taking a CCW class in the coming month though our VA permits don't expire for a couple years yet and OK is a Constitutional State. The VA permits, while not expired, are likely not valid since we moved out of state, and Constitutional Carry is valid in state, but is not valid out of state. Acquiring CCW permits from the state will get us Reciprocity with a number of other states where we may travel in the future. I know we dip into TX now and then, and I'll likely see TN next year.

I talked to the local instructor about her class before we signed up and we'll knock it out in a day. I have taught firearms off and on for the last 40 years and can qualify for an exemption, but I would like to learn the state laws. She'll waive the range time if I bring certain documentation, but Tina has to take the entire course, so we'll take it together. A friend said, "Don't roll your eyes in her class, and correct her during her teaching." :D He was joking, but, we have all been in classes where there were "Those Students."

Having taught for years, I wouldn't ever do that to an instructor during a class.  If I had a content question, I would ask them privately and professionally during a break. 

It brought to mind an article I wrote years ago, about attending / teaching classes:

There are several types of students professional or Amateur instructors, as well as the other students in the class - dislike;   I always hated taking a great class from a great instructor and finding one of these folks in the pack:

Your know it alls: 
They think they know more than you and take great joy in pointing it out all throughout the class... even if they don't.

The Joker:
These students think that standup makes the class more enjoyable, no matter the subject.  EMS, Shooting, Rocket Guidance theory. Often they aren't nearly as funny as they think they are.

The Writer/Documentarian: 
This is the student that has to document everything word for word, so they are forever asking you to repeat everything you say.... they throw off both the flow of the class and the timetable. Funny, they are so busy writing everything down, they usually do poorly on the tests at the end of class.

The What Ifs:
These guys have to propose alternate scenarios to the ones you offer, endless alternate scenarios. No matter how outlandish or improbable.

Your Plagiarist:
They start their comment or question with "When I was... or Don't you think that?" trying to sound intelligent, while striking a pose... but they are quoting the latest thing they read in this magazine or that one, or an interview they saw on YouTube. It's sometimes word for word.. Half the students in the classroom know it. 

Miss Tina and I will attend the class and leave with our certification; happy we can apply for the OK CCW. Funny, but I have always found that hidden among the reviews of basic materials I always seem to find gems of information that are new to me and I can use.

Feel free to share the ones I missed, I'm sure y'all have your pet peeves as well.

You can list your "Instructor Peeves" My biggest?
The ME ME instructor...

The class becomes more about the instructor than the subject matter.
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Taking a Class

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:35 pm

I need to find a place for Wisconsin. It will be good for 32 states.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:33 am

I used to work with a guy who always wanted to argue/debate. He started most of his comments with…

YA-BUT…

I simply told him (many times) that a ya-but was a little furry critter running around the woods.

:roll:
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:56 am

I forgot the:

One Uppers as one of my fellow instructors called them. No matter the subject, no matter the topic, when the anecdote or example was finished they jumped in with their example that would start out something like: "This one time, at band camp..." :o

Well, you get the drift...
1 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:21 pm

No class required for a CCW in Washington state, fill out the form, get fingerprinted, pay the fee and wait a few weeks.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:12 pm

Just remember, taking a class is not the same thing as having class.;)

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
2 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:58 pm

I have class....

Low...
And
No

Earned in bootcamp :twisted:
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:07 pm

Update:

I took the class this past weekend and couldn't have been more impressed. The instructor did a great job of passing on the necessary information, making all the students comfortable in the class and on the range and keeping the class entertaining and the students engaged. She knew my background from the previous month when I asked about the State's waiver policy, but then I decided to just take the class, and she joked and engaged with me all thru the class. She made it clear from the start that she was fine with input from me and I went out of my way to limit my input to that appropriate to the moment and nothing that was contradictory to her lesson, and only information that added to or supported her statements and was actually needed.

I didn't jump in just to Co-instruct and feed my ego.

I spoke with her on the first break to reassure myself that she was good with it and she reassured me that she welcomed appropriate input and was always willing to hear new information or input. At the end of the day she thanked me for a great class...

We have always had those that weren't so I didn't want to be the cause of one.
:D

Miss T was unable to attend with me due to an unexpected complication at the last minute but will go the first of next month.
1 x