Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Wildlife at the range

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Wildlife at the range

Post by ditto1958 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:46 am

At the outdoor range where I shoot, deer have become pests. The range goes out to 100 yards, and the backstop is a steep hill that's at least 100 feet tall.

It's actually sort of humorous when several shooters are blasting away at targets at 100 yards and along come 8 or 10 deer across the hill behind the targets. They seem completely oblivious to the potential danger.

Today during a bit of ammo lull in the action about a half dozen deer decided to trot in to the 50 yard berm to have a look around. We yelled at them and they hightailed it back out to the hill.

Deer season isn't until next November, but sadly even if they were in season the range has a rule against shooting wildlife. Darn.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Wildlife at the range

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:50 am

Sounds like our range except ours goes out to 200 yards. They really can be pests when you want to shoot and they are attracted to the level grassy field instead of hanging out in the brush.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

shamaz
Tenderfoot

Post by shamaz » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:45 pm

The deer of all sizes, genders and ages hang out on my "range," which is basically my front yard. While enjoying the sunset every evening in my river canyon I take a few shots at hanging steel targets with my H001 and quiet ammo. "Pop....ding!" Through all this the deer don't even look up from their grazing. Of course they're already accustomed to seeing me on my walks in the woods, hearing various work noises and my voice and the occasional blues harmonica music and/or singing. Actually I've also got an H001Y and use them both mainly for quiet front yard plinking. Of course we know that these great Henry rifles are quite versatile and can step up to more powerful rounds for pest deterrence if needed.
0 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:14 pm

We had some fellas get in trouble for shooting a cow that wandered onto the range during qualifying with M16s.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)