Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Trying my hand at a bird feeder

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Trying my hand at a bird feeder

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:24 pm

Keep in mind that there are differences in feeding behavior with the various species of birds that visit your feeders. Some species are more at ease feeding on the ground below the feeder and some some species much prefer being up on the feeder. Noting the differences makes watching the birds all the more fun.
1 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:37 pm

Decided to put a log under the feeder and put extra feed on it. Might not attract any better than feed on the ground, but makes a better looking backdrop. Birds are still scarce, but squirrels visit regularly. I set up the camera at the back door, thoroughly cleaned all glass surfaces. It's better, but still get a big reduction in contrast, saturation and resolution.

I had to clean this one up a good bit in Lightroom, and it still doesn't bear scrutiny at higher magnifications.

_DAB1881.jpg
_DAB1881.jpg (190.77 KiB) Viewed 394 times
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:53 pm

Yeah, but it looks great! Well done.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:45 pm

And then there are the headless birds.

_DAB0150.jpg
_DAB0150.jpg (219.18 KiB) Viewed 385 times
That's from the camera, not a Photoshop job. Bluejay shook his head just as I took the picture with a relatively slow shutter speed.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:08 pm

Well, after thoroughly cleaning all glass surfaces, and changing a few other things, I've got things better. I still see a noticeable degradation in image quality, but right now I can't get close enough to the birds outside to get good shots.

I am seeing an increase in traffic in both tree rats and birds. There are a handful of doves, some blue jays, and some cardinals. This is a fledgling with it's parent.

_DAB1980.jpg
_DAB1980.jpg (249.38 KiB) Viewed 374 times
The cardinal by itself.

_DAB1954.jpg
_DAB1954.jpg (256.04 KiB) Viewed 374 times
And one of the doves.

_DAB2007.jpg
_DAB2007.jpg (282.06 KiB) Viewed 374 times
And the blue jay, with it's head this time.

_DAB1989.jpg
_DAB1989.jpg (199.16 KiB) Viewed 374 times
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:31 pm

Looks like the feeder is finally attracting some customers. For the last few days we've seen some smaller birds on the feeder. Today they were here in much larger numbers. Unfortunately, most of them come and grab a seed and take off to the trees to consume it. Trying to figure out what I'm seeing. The cheap tube feeder doesn't make a great backdrop for pictures. Heavy overcast today, so I had to crank up the ASA to get sharp pictures. Oh well, I'd rather have a noisy sharp picture than a clean fuzzy one. I would have used the Z5, which would give me cleaner pictures at higher ASAs, but the crop frame DSLR gives me and extra 250mm on top of the 500. That really helps with the small birds.

I believe this is a Carolina Chickadee scolding what I think is a white breasted nuthatch.

_DAB0318.jpg
_DAB0318.jpg (172.43 KiB) Viewed 359 times

And here is the same nuthatch by it's self.

_DAB0321.jpg
_DAB0321.jpg (153.25 KiB) Viewed 359 times

I've been trying to somewhat discourage the squirrels. When they are eating on the log just under the feeder, the other birds stay mostly away. Opening the back door usually scatters them for a short while. I told them I was going to get my Henry out and that seemed to keep them away a while longer. I live in a subdivision, so the Henry is an empty threat. The squirrels don't know that, however.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:20 pm

Great pics!!
The squirrels will soon chew through that feeder though.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:20 pm

They are getting enough stuff on and around the log to leave the feeder alone right now. I hung the feeder from a tree branch on some wire, so it would be difficult for them to get to it. I know, they are clever and determined critters.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:31 pm

Wonderful pics. Thanks for sharing.

Those Chickadees can be a challenge to shoot the way they feed. They grab one seed from the feeder quick as they can then dash to a nearby branch to eat it. They love feeders, though, and will give you many chances.
0 x

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:06 pm

I thought I had a crow hunched up at the base of my feeder yesterday morning but looking closer I could tell it wasn't. Watched it trough the window and tried to get a picture with the phone but it was horrible. After a while it stood up and was walking around with it's neck extended and long legs so I knew it was a wading bird. It was an American Bittern according to my book. Apparently a juvenile because when I walked out a parent flew off the roof of my house and the youngster made it to the shed roof then up to the shop roof and finally flew off toward the creek. Maybe I should put some goldfish in the bird bath in case they return.
I am enjoying you pictures, they are great.
0 x