Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Trying my hand at a bird feeder

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Trying my hand at a bird feeder

Post by clovishound » Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:14 pm

Been suffering a little from cabin fever, and with a new long tele burning a hole in my pocket, I thought I'd try my hand at attracting birds to the back yard for entertainment, and also as unpaid models for some pictures.

I didn't want to lay out a bunch of money on a whim, so I picked up a cheap tube feeder and some economy feed. After couple days with little response from the local avian population, I did some research on line. First off, it's not the best time of year for attracting birds. Nothing to be done about that. Secondly, the recommendation is to start with just black oil sunflower seeds, then move to a mix as visits increase. Bought a bag today, and emptied out the cheap stuff and refilled with sunflower seeds, putting some on the ground underneath, and a shallow open dish nearby. There has been some activity prior to this, and it looks like they went straight for the few sunflower seeds in the cheap mix.

The squirrels haven't discovered it. YET!

Any suggestions, experiences.

Just for interest, here's a gal I got a shot of in the front yard before this experiment.

_DAB0047-2.jpg
_DAB0047-2.jpg (131.9 KiB) Viewed 1092 times
And I guess squirrels can make decent models as well. Though I'd rather just deal with the birds.

_DAB0019.jpg
_DAB0019.jpg (190.87 KiB) Viewed 1092 times
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Re: Trying my hand at a bird feeder

Post by Vaquero » Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:24 pm

Well, once the squirrels do find it, it will be hard to keep them out of it.
Right now there is an abundance of food sources, but once they do find it they will visit often.
We have a couple but I usually don't mess with them much during the Summer mons.
But Fall, Winter and early Spring we try to keep them full.

Couple of good pics. there.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:38 pm

Vaquero wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:24 pm
Well, once the squirrels do find it, it will be hard to keep them out of it.
Right now there is an abundance of food sources, but once they do find it they will visit often.
We have a couple but I usually don't mess with them much during the Summer mons.
But Fall, Winter and early Spring we try to keep them full.

Couple of good pics. there.

RP
I would say the Henry H001 would take care of the squirrel issue, but living in a subdivision, they rather frown on that behavior. If I am enjoying the birds, and the squirrels become a problem, there are feeders/products that are advertised as squirrel proof. I'm hoping that by fall I'll be free to pursue photographic outings with some frequency.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

GeoBoy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by GeoBoy » Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:52 pm

I start feeding the birds on Thanksgiving day and I am going to give Wild Bills Feeding Frenzy bird feeder, made in the USA, on a pole mount. I use Lyric Supreme bird food. Go to squirrel-free.com .
0 x
Henry Hoo1T, Hoo9

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:37 pm

Even in the winter, it can take a day or two for the birds to "discover" your feeder when you first put it up, so that delay is nothing unusual.

Black oil sunflower is what we use almost exclusively. If you want birds to come to your feeder, nothing better. If the goal is to attract birds, it's actually cheaper in the long run.

Winter only feeding up here unless you like having bears in the yard. Even if you don't have bears, you can expect raccoons once they discover your feeder, unless you take the feeder in at night. Raccoons can be a problem around the yard and house, too.

As for the squirrels, there are two ways to deal with them. One is to use squirrel baffles on the feeder pole and/or go all out with squirrel proof feeders. The other way is to set up a squirrel feeder away from the bird feeder. As long as you keep the squirrel feeder full with corn, the squirrels will mostly ignore the bird feeder. Once the word gets out on the squirrel social media, though, you'll have every squirrel in the neighborhood in your back yard.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:24 pm

We use Sunflower chips. Put some out and every type of bird you can imagine loves them. We also use Black Oil seeds in one of our feeders. The Cardinals love them.
As far as Squirels go, I don't like them at all! They will go through your seed very quickly if you don't have baffles or some kind of deterrent. As far as I'm concerned, the only things squirrels do in life is plant Oak Trees where you don't want them. 😐
We also use Hot Pepper Suet. The birds all love it, but the squirrels won't touch it.
The only problem amongst the birds are the Starlings and Grackles, ( black birds ). They go through all the seed and suet like a buzz saw.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:42 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:24 pm
As far as Squirels go, I don't like them at all!
Have you tried them dredged in flour and spices then fried?
3 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:01 am

clovishound wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:42 pm
markiver54 wrote:
:lol: , not yet.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:06 am

Squirrels can also be very destructive to property. They get into attics, chew wires, etc. Back in VA they were called tree rats. We had problems with them on the farm getting into the coop and eating up chicken feed. Sniping worked, and the population would migrate to other properties for several months. When they returned, Miss Tina and the CZ would be waiting.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:17 pm

clovishound wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:42 pm
markiver54 wrote:
Yup, they are quite tasty. A little nutty though.😋
1 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66