Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Drought...

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Drought...

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:47 pm

My part of missouri is in drought. On the national drought moniter map I was in a D2 " severe" catagory... its now up dated to a D3 " extreme" catagory...looks like I'm trying to catch up with the poor folks down and Texas and other points west.. have already sold some cows and may cull another 10 or 12 next week... still hopeful ( Like all farmers) that we might get some rain in the next few days and wint have to sell.... cause i can assure you that cows never sell at a good price in a drought time....( though hay and feed are ridiculouslyhigh ...)[..... I will pray on and deal with what happens......
2 x

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Re: Drought...

Post by cooperhawk » Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:31 pm

We were gone for a week and came home to dying flower beds and brown grass. We need rain badly as well.
I feel for you having to sell livestock. At least that is not a problem for us.
0 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

tarbe
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by tarbe » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:37 pm

Ozarkwoodswalker wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:47 pm
My part of missouri is in drought. On the national drought moniter map I was in a D2 " severe" catagory... its now up dated to a D3 " extreme" catagory...looks like I'm trying to catch up with the poor folks down and Texas and other points west.. have already sold some cows and may cull another 10 or 12 next week... still hopeful ( Like all farmers) that we might get some rain in the next few days and wint have to sell.... cause i can assure you that cows never sell at a good price in a drought time....( though hay and feed are ridiculouslyhigh ...)[..... I will pray on and deal with what happens......
My neighbor sold all his cows in July (Ozark County).

We got a little rain the first 10 days in August...but back to drought now.

Forecast has us possibly getting some rain this week.

Hope you can hold until the price firms!
0 x
USMC 1976 - 1980 0351

Henry H010
Henry H010CC
Savage M99 308 (born in '57 like me!)
Browning M53 32-20
336 30-30
No 1 300 H&H
No 1 375 H&H
1895 30-40 Krag
Ruger American 308
Several Nasty Black Rifles :o

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:55 am

No drought here on Timms Hill. It’s been raining here twice a week. Sometimes just a sprinkle and sometimes a downpour. One day we received four inches. It all came with good timing as I was leveling my driveway and camping area. I was able to see the low spots and fill them in. The last rain of a few inches left no puddles. Everything drained off under the gravel as planned.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:34 pm

We've been in the same weather pattern as you. We've gotten some rain the past week but are still in the extreme category (D3) but have not gone into the exceptional classification (D4) as of yet. The western part of our county is in the D4 category, but we've had enough rain to keep us out of it. There is supposed to be rain Thursday and Friday this week. I hope it does.
Jake
0 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:55 pm

We are the total opposite down under extremely wet and almost impossible to get around fields.
Its has rained everyday this month, about 8" so far for August. We have been wetter than average for 2 years and forecast is for it to continue through our spring and summer.
Regrettably that will probably mean dry conditions in the northern hemisphere as that seems to be the way it works. Have a look at the southern oscillation index it correlates very well with wet/dry conditions either side of the Pacific.

I have lived through enough droughts I understand exactly what you are all going through Early 90's we had 4 years in a row, place I was working on we were feeding the equivalent of 3000 small square bales a week for 6 months. In the end the decision was made to sell 1000 head of cattle keep the best of the breeding stock and hope we had enough feed to get to the end. The only certainty with drought is it will end and if there is any upside its that that rain hasnt just stopped falling but moved elsewhere for a time so someone else is having a record year.
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:19 am

Heard a disturbing report on the news this morning. Bear with me as I will get the names wrong but the premise is there. Lake Mead in Nevada is within 32 feet of not being able to supply water to the turbines that provide power. I forget the exact details but I believe this power is routed to California and for the last several years California had the opportunity to take measures to help with this but chose to ignore any fixes. Sorry, not a very detailed report but as said above, disturbing.
Last edited by Hatchdog on Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:41 am

I saw the same report. It looks like the entire California area is in danger as well Arizona. Water is
always a major problem out there and ignoring it won't make it go away.
0 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:36 pm

Happy days here... don't want to get crazy and say the drought is gone but we have got three good rains in last couple of weeks and the world sure does look different!!! The pastures are trying to heal up and things sure look more hopeful than they did! I will sit quiet and hope to not run off the changed weather.... sure is good to see that color green coming back!!!
3 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:14 am

I'm glad you got rain.
We needed some and got two days of on and off rain. The garden needed it for sure.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member