Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

2022 Hurricanes and Tropical Storms

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: 2022 Hurricanes and Tropical Storms

Post by fortyshooter » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:34 pm

Where do all those gators and huge snakes end up with all that flooding?
Attachments
gator in the house.jpg
gator in the house.jpg (38.46 KiB) Viewed 284 times
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:10 pm

I've been wondering about that
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:17 pm

Geez! If I saw that 'gator coming thru my kitchen door, that would just about be the end of my posting here. :o Lordy!
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:28 pm

Got a call from my aunt in Daytona. She said it was the worst storm she's ever been through. She's a life long resident of the area. The wind and rain are unrelenting, and she's got water coming up where it never has before. Still had power, but lots of her neighbors don't.

I've got several family members and friends in the area, it's where I grew up. Haven't touched bases with any others yet. Think I'll call a few this afternoon.

I went ahead and dug the generator out of the garage and tested it. Made sure I have the genset handy. Only been actually used once. Power came back on about 15 minutes after I hooked the genny up. It started on first pull, but died before I load tested it. Figured out I turned the fuel cutoff from off to on then to the other off. Turned it on and ran like a champ. Back yard has been decluttered of light objects, and I'm just watching the NOAA website. Right now it looks like it's going to be a hurricane and coming straight for us. Not my first rodeo, but I hate dealing with hurricanes.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:10 pm

My sister-in-law is getting ready to move to Punta Gorda, FL from NJ, next week. Her house was directly in the patch of Ian. Fortunately she had storm shutters on all outside windows and doors. Her house did receive some roof damage but only over the garage. Neighbors weren't so lucky. One had almost the entire roof torn off with extensive water damage.

Paul
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:09 am

as forecasted, rain and wind from Ian started moving through our area around 6AM ..... the storm is still out in the Atlantic and should come back over land near Myrtle Beach in the early afternoon .... they anticipate it coming ashore as a Cat 1 .... we have been told to anticipate up to 6" of rain with wind gust up to 60 mph .... some pictures coming out of Florida are horrendous
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:23 am

Looks like it may make landfall around Georgetown. We (Charleston SC) are supposed to be near the peak right now, and winds appear to be around the 40 mph forecast. Supposed to stay there for a couple hours and then die down. Rain hasn't been too bad, and there is another 1.5 in forecast for the day.

Things have strengthened somewhat in the last few minutes, but still aren't that bad. Yet. Sampling a few local weather stations on Weatherunderground shows the winds under 20. Color me skeptical, looks more like the upper 30s predicted. I hope their forecast for the rest of the day is accurate.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:54 am

as noted, Ian is still out in the Atlantic and isn't anticipated to make landfall near Myrtle Beach until around noon .... we already have rain and wind .... both are expected to increase as the day goes on
Attachments
220930 001 Ian still out in Atlantic 001.jpg
220930 001 Ian still out in Atlantic 001.jpg (91.61 KiB) Viewed 262 times
220930 001 Ian still out in Atlantic 001a.jpg
220930 001 Ian still out in Atlantic 001a.jpg (70.91 KiB) Viewed 262 times
220930 001 Ian still out in Atlantic 002.jpg
220930 001 Ian still out in Atlantic 002.jpg (73.75 KiB) Viewed 262 times
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:19 pm

Ian has made landfall near Georgetown, SC ..... our power at home flickered off a little while ago ... thankfully within a few minutes it came back on .... that motivated me go out and hook our camper to a propane line to a 500 gallon tank .... as has become our custom during such emergencies, if our power goes down and stays that way we will move into the camper .....
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:36 pm

our power flickered on and off several times during the post above and finally went out to stay sometime before 5PM .... a notice from Duke power said it would be back on by 6PM .... well its still out and we have moved into our camper .... its generator cranked easily and is running smoothly .... our youngest son's home is out of power so he has come buy and picked up our old portable generator .... our oldest son has his own generator and being without power he's got it going as well .... in short, Ian has knocked out the power at all of our family's homes
0 x