Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Check Engine Light - Don't You Hate It.

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Check Engine Light - Don't You Hate It.

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:31 pm

Went to take Miss Fiona for her Evening Ride in the Polaris, and the Check Engine light came on. I turned around and went home. Fiona gave me stink eye and pouted the rest of the evening. :cry:

fiona loves to go zoom zoom comp.jpg
fiona loves to go zoom zoom comp.jpg (107.75 KiB) Viewed 327 times

I put in a call to the dealer and the next morning, loaded up the Ranger and took 'er in to be worked on. I would rather pay what it costs to have it fixed than what it would cost to buy one set up like ours today. The Ranger Northstars with the extras we have would run between $35k and $40k if you can find one. We got lucky and bought ours lightly used before covid hit and everything skyrocketed in price.

new wheels and tires on my Northstar comp.jpg
new wheels and tires on my Northstar comp.jpg (306.92 KiB) Viewed 327 times

The "Check Engine" light indicates a problem with Electronic Fuel Injection and you aren't supposed to drive the dang thing anymore. We use it everyday on the farm. It's not a toy we use to play in the mud or run the river. So, let's get 'er fixed. :cry: I loaded it up on the trailer and hauled 'er in and dropped it off.

I also told them that regardless of the selector position, it seems like we are stuck in 4wd lately. Let's look at that too. Please call me when it's ready.

Their showroom has been EMPTY for the last two years. They have finally started getting new UTVs in. THIS was sitting by the front door. It's the HI-Lifter model. They have customized it a bit with a set of truck wheels and tires, and a few other goodies. $29k. Looks sharp, would be nice for crossing the creeks and the like, but I'd need a ladder to get in and out of it. :D This thing is two feet off the ground.

Hi-Lifter.jpg
Hi-Lifter.jpg (175.91 KiB) Viewed 327 times

Look at the top of that rear tailgate, it's almost chest high. Those snorkels mean you can drive this in the river, and be sitting chest deep in the water while you are doing it. :lol: NOT that I would be doing that... It's cool looking. But it's not something Miss T and I would use. We work the farm with OURS... loading feed and grain in the bed, hauling stuff from place to place, towing the kayak trailer to the pond....

Hi-Lifter Rear View.jpg
Hi-Lifter Rear View.jpg (184.58 KiB) Viewed 327 times

Gotta admit, it does make my Red Neck burn. :twisted:
But, my Northstar is paid for, and has been. Fix it and call me.
But that looks nice. Nope, fix it.

They called a couple hours later.
A burned out fuse was the problem with the 4wd, and the Check Engine was a Misfire problem, easily corrected and reset.
Less than $200.

:P

I was IRON willed at the truck dealers as well. Those lifted short beds looked good, but MY trucks were both paid for.... :roll:
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Check Engine Light - Don't You Hate It.

Post by John E Davies » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:43 pm

0 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:11 pm

Paid off vehicles are very hard to beat. I have two.
2 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:21 pm

Dang 'Marine, you got out of there inexpensively! Nice to have an honest shop around.
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:26 pm

Does your Ranger have A/C and heat? I see you can get a new one with it but seems to start with the model with a $28,000 price.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:26 pm

dave77 wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:26 pm
Does your Ranger have A/C and heat? I see you can get a new one with it but seems to start with the model with a $28,000 price.
Mine has that, but also the lift kit, arched A arm kit for enhanced ground clearance, premium front and rear bumper kit, winch kit with remote, tinted glass package upgrade, aftermarket wheels, tires, suspension...

Doesnt take long to jump from 28k. The dealer told me a new one set up like the 2015 would be in that range, if they could get one. :? The only thing the new ones have I'd really love to have? Roll down windows. :)
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:52 pm

Makes two of us on the paid off vehicles. Im now making money on the Dodge Ram 3500. Glad you got an easy fix there Marine
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:57 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:52 pm
Makes two of us on the paid off vehicles. Im now making money on the Dodge Ram 3500. Glad you got an easy fix there Marine
Three of us.
1 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:05 pm

Geesh, for that price I'd find an old beater of a 4X4.
Jake
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:16 pm

You CAN buy a nice vehicle for the price of a UTV, but keep in mind the base models start around 8k. They are work vehicles for the farm, hunting vehicles, or trail vehicles. They will go places the trucks won't. Short narrow wheelbase lets you run forest trails, down embankments into the creek and back up the other side, or around tight switchbacks. Your winch pulls you out if you get stuck, and as you go up in price, you get things like enclosed cabin, heat, ac, windshield wipers and defrost.

We can even drive them on the road here, in the country farm community, and put plates on it, drive it in town. With street tires, mine will run fifty five all day with power to spare, eighty if you aren't careful. 😬😬
1 x