Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Hate it when this happens!

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
The Happy Kaboomer
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Hate it when this happens!

Post by The Happy Kaboomer » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:35 pm

Or mount it on a short section of power pole about 4 ft. in the ground and 4 stikkin out.
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:34 pm

I live on a very narrow paved city street that was put in during the 1920's. I used to have trouble with folks across the street backing out at night and hitting my mailbox. Being in the building trade I got a ten foot 6X6 and put it four feet in the ground and cut the top off so the mailbox was at the proper height. Funny thing, no more damaged mailbox or post. If someone were to hit it they would need a tow truck.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:10 am

ONE thing to keep in mind. In some jurisdictions, they have regs on the size and material you MAY use for the pole your box is mounted on. If you put the wrong pole up and a driver is injured in a crash due to the pole or base, you could be liable. NOT that I care, but I saw a couple videos posted by attorneys warning about that when people posted about the cool ideas they had after vandals killed their box.

Usually these regs are in place in liberal cities rather than rural environs. But I'd ask my guy before I invested time and money or left it to chance.

My ex father in law in West VA lived at the bottom of a steep hill in Beckley and every winter for years, they took out his box sliding on the ice. HE finally mounted a section of phone pole in a hole he dug with a borrowed drill from the Mine. His property was thin topsoil over slate. Never lost another box but a lot of cars got crunched for the rest of the time he lived. Died of black lung.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:11 am

Not a mailbox but one winter night a car slid into the chain link fence at the school I worked at and did considerable damage. Cops came by the next morning and found a car bumper laying next to the fence with the license plate still attached.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:10 am

dave77 wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:11 am
Not a mailbox but one winter night a car slid into the chain link fence at the school I worked at and did considerable damage. Cops came by the next morning and found a car bumper laying next to the fence with the license plate still attached.
:lol: I think I would have at least retrieved my plate!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:29 am

I had that happen a few months ago. I attributed it to a new mail carrier. I live in the city limits, and there is only road in and out the neighborhood. Traffic usually consists of those interacting with the residents. Plus, I typically have a vehicle parked in front of the house. So, it was caused by someone who missed the vehicle but hit the mailbox. Whoever did it, placed the mailbox neatly in my yard. It probably was an accident. Yet, mail was not delivered, until I replace the mailbox. If it was a mail carrier, he/she covered himself/herself fairly well.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:18 am

Funny this came up now, just two weeks ago this happened. Our community has two roads in it, the one I live on is within one mile of the county road so we get mail delivered to our driveway mail boxes. The other road is greater than a mile so the carrier by rule does not deliver to the driveway. As more people have built up this road the mailbox collection was getting pretty unorganized and was located at the end of one residents driveway. Folks would pick up their mail and use his gravel driveway to turn around and were messing up the gravel. He requested the boxes be moved further up the road to prevent this. So we built this stand and immediately had to put an extension on it due to more folks moving in.

Two weeks ago we had our community clean up day and shortly after we were finished this happened. I am pretty sure I know who did it but have no proof. This guy is the messiest person in the community and is confrontational so we just filed a report with the sheriffs dept. Fortunately the stand was able to be repaired at little cost and only one box was destroyed beyond repair.

Every community has at least one POS living in it and we do too. :(

9EA9E87A-C423-41B2-9D1A-E7202BE777EF.jpeg
9EA9E87A-C423-41B2-9D1A-E7202BE777EF.jpeg (572.84 KiB) Viewed 147 times
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:41 am

Yup, ours is a nice, well kept, safe neighborhood, but we have one of those types also. His house is not within my view, but you should see it. Amazing it has not been condemned.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry