Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

The Supreme Court Decision is in.

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
BMCTED
Wrangler
United States of America

The Supreme Court Decision is in.

Post by BMCTED » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:15 am

This decision if VERY important for all firearm owners ... not just ccw handguns.

Just thought I'd share. https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/2 ... 3_7j80.pdf

This is a very good day.
7 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: The Supreme Court Decision is in.

Post by GFK » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:22 am

Thanks and hope this is not viewed as political.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:34 am

Of course it is very very political, but I think the thread should run, just don’t make any overt statements that might offend somebody who disagrees with you.

I hope this decision will ultimately help those of us who carry concealed, be able to do so in other states AND be less at risk of criminal prosecution.

John Davies
Spokane WA
Last edited by John E Davies on Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
5 x

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:39 am

Well, it certainly is very germane to this forum. It's very lengthy and full of lawyereze, but from what
I have read it affirms the right to carry a pistol. It clearly is a win for the 2cd amendment.
2 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:05 pm

There's more to this than just the ruling about May Issue. Strict scrutiny will be applied by lower Courts to all firearms laws, among other things. No more "balancing". Worth a careful read of the opinion. The opinion also made it very plain that "arms" are not restricted to "muskets". So to stretch this out a bit, it could also lead to the repeal of the GCA'68 and the NFA. How's that for a win? :D
Last edited by GunnyGene on Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Coach
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Coach » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:12 pm

Wow, I may be able to get a carry license in crazy California.

In the past I had my dad (Retired deputy sheriff) speak to the Sheriff on my behalf about me getting a license. The sheriff of Alameda county said absolutely not.

This is a good day.
3 x
Deplorable California 2A supporter.

BMCTED
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by BMCTED » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:09 pm

I sure do hope I didn't do something wrong, or set someone on edge.

As a new guy, I thought long and hard before posting this. I see it as a decision of a legal matter regarding firearms ... by non-elected officials. The ONLY job of the Supreme Court is to interrupt the Constitution of the United States ... not to make law or uphold the beliefs of one or the other political party.

If you see it otherwise ... I wouldn't be offended if you needed to have this thread taken down.
Last edited by BMCTED on Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:11 pm

As has been mentioned, this is a perfectly valid topic ... so long as political comments and/or post authored to insight political responses don't enter this conversation, all's good .... as with any topic, be it state, federal or local, if/when political commentary is injected, the thread dies

Jim
2 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:48 pm

The bottom line from SCOTUS:
"The constitutional right to bear arms in public for self defense is not “a second-class right, subject to an entirely different body of rules than the other Bill of Rights guarantees.” McDonald, 561 U. S., at 780 (plurality opinion). We know of no other constitutional right that an individual may exercise only after demonstrating to government officers some special need. That is not how the First Amendment works when it comes to unpopular speech or the free exercise of religion. It is not how the Sixth Amendment works when it comes to a defendant’s right to confront the witnesses against him. And it is not how the Second Amendment works when it comes to public carry for self defense. New York’s proper-cause requirement violates the Fourteenth Amendment in that it prevents law-abiding citizens with ordinary self-defense needs from exercising their right to keep and bear arms. We therefore reverse the judgment of the Court of Appeals and remand the case for further proceedings consistent with this opinion.

It is so ordered. "
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Centaur
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Centaur » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:59 pm

This is a much needed win for the Right to Bear Arms. Justice prevails!
2 x