Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

The new bridge

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Re: The new bridge

Post by cooperhawk » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:27 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:48 am
Rails, even rr ties along the edges will rock.
The plan is to make supports out of pipe and then use debarked timbers for rails.
I want it to look rustic.
0 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:36 am

well done indeed 8-)
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:00 am

cooperhawk wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:27 am
BrokenolMarine wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:48 am
Rails, even rr ties along the edges will rock.
The plan is to make supports out of pipe and then use debarked timbers for rails.
I want it to look rustic.
I'll bet that would look good.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:22 am

Looks great Coop.

A culvert story. The property up north my wife inherited from her uncle has a year round creek that is close to the county road. Originally her uncle had a wooden bridge across it and when he passed and we were going thru his stuff we found a picture of his pickup nose down in the middle of the bridge which had collapsed. I didn’t know him then and he never mentioned it to me later. So he illegally built an earthen dam with a 2’ culvert and created a pond on his place. When we got the place and started to spend time up there the pond was just a mess and a mosquito breeding ground. In 2008 the Washington State wildlife dept came out with a fish recovery project with the goal of eliminating fish passage blockages such as this dam. We applied and were approved for funds to remove the dam and install a culvert. I was amazed at the size of the culvert, it is a 12 footer called a squash pipe. It is oval shaped instead of round and is placed below the creek bottom and filled with gravel and other natural materials. The theory is the fish can swim thru it and not be aware of the difference.

We were thrilled to be able to get this project done and are very happy the pond is gone. It took the banks that were submerged several years to dry out. I have some pictures somewhere and in one my wife and her mother are standing in the culvert before it was placed in the creek. Both are only 5 footers but they look very small standing in it.

You’re bridge looks wonderful and I bet it’s comforting to know that it will be there for decades…
2 x