Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Blueberry Apple Pie - my first try

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: Blueberry Apple Pie - my first try

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:13 am

Koyote wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:32 pm
Quick, call Marie Callendars and give tell them to start making them!
Nah, I'd rather DIY. Her's and other frozen factory stuff is always too much crust and not enough filling.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:57 pm

There's decent pies, good pies, and excellent pies but I don't think there's such a thing as a really bad pie. My mom was an excellent baker, worked as the pastry chef at a very popular restaurant. She would always make me a pie instead of a cake for my birthday.
0 x

Koyote
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Koyote » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:53 pm

Most of our moms and a few wives were/are excellent cooks/bakers/snack makers. My mom made everything from scratch. She would make a couple of dozen tortillas to last a week, no beans out of a can as she would soak in water then cook/smash them. Quesadillas were not that fancy, just shredded cheese sprinkled on top with sugar was a great snack. I miss Albondigas the most, meatball soup with fresh cut up veggies in the pot. My dad was a truck driver who delivered fruits and veggies to L.A.'s central market. He always brought home a box of fresh picked fruits/veggies. Chilaquilas was another great favorite of mine. During the holidays, she would get together with her mother, sisters and others and make tamales to last a couple of weeks through the holidays. Sure miss those days...
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:30 pm

Koyote wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:53 pm
...During the holidays, she would get together with her mother, sisters and others and make tamales to last a couple of weeks through the holidays. Sure miss those days...
My mom and her best friend/neighbor would make cookies every day for a couple of weeks before Christmas to give out as gifts. Was great getting home from school in the afternoon to find the kitchen table and counters covered with all kinds of cookies. My dad was in charge of making fudge and divinity candy in the evenings while mom was making rolls and sticky cinnamon buns.

They were different times, both my mom and dad were from large farm families (old time farms, mom was one of the youngest and she was born in 1911). At least a couple times a month there were birthday dinners and frequent Sunday dinners especially during Holidays. I was usually on my own as my mom was 40 before she had me so most of my cousins were considerably older than me and didn't want a little kid hanging around them.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:37 am

As a kid my mom worked M-Thru and was off on Friday. Friday was her baking day and we would come home from school to the aroma of fresh baked bread and cinnamon rolls. Once and a while my grandparents on my dad’s side would visit on Friday and I can remember coming home to the aroma and a bottle of bourbon on the kitchen table and the three of them having a nip! :lol:
0 x

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:14 am

Remember the Black Walnut flavored cakes with Black Walnut white frosting? My Mother used to make this a lot
as well as Black Walnut flavored chocolate chip cookies. Well, I guess you can't buy that cake mix anymore,
but we have a Black Walnut tree at the end of the drive and I collect the nuts. They are a bitch to crack,
but with a hammer I get it done and Carol makes me the cookies. She hasn't made the cake yet...........
but I'm hoping.............😋
0 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

Koyote
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Koyote » Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:59 pm

Post the recipe!!!
0 x

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:42 pm

Looks great!! Good job!
0 x

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:43 pm

...may be your first try at this particular pie, but it sure looks like you have made pies before!!@
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:26 pm

Ozarkwoodswalker wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:43 pm
...may be your first try at this particular pie, but it sure looks like you have made pies before!!@
I've only made a couple other pies and that was years ago. But I can read a recipe, which I've been doing a lot since my wife passed away last year. I can't afford restaurants these days. So it's either TV dinners, take out, or learn to cook for one.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.