Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Finally Starting on the Berm

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Finally Starting on the Berm

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon May 30, 2022 2:12 pm

We didn't get ANYTHING done yesterday because we spent the entire day waiting for the HAY guy to call to let us know he was coming to look at the fields and give us a price on cutting the hay. He never called. Guess he got caught up with Holiday stuff or tied up on a job, but it would have been nice if he had texted and let us know he WAS tied up. :roll:

Went down this morning with a goal in mind. I had given a lot of thought to the working area around the BERM site and decided I would move all the RR Ties out of the immediate area where we had originally unloaded them to make movement around the area easier. In the end it would make the work move faster and the job safer. Miss T would do what she needed to do and carry her phone to wait for the Hay Guy to text. She let him know she would be standing by AND we would be here but in and out of the pasture. Sometimes we don't get a signal. (Wasn't going to sit ON the phone all day again.) :evil:

So, this was MY view this morning... Can't believe she didn't boot me out of the seat and do the work herself, but the old man can't become a master unless he gets practice. ;)

my view.jpg
my view.jpg (242.48 KiB) Viewed 407 times

After a few hours of work, We got All the RR ties moved to the end of the pond drive... a short distance from the berm site but out of the way. I moved most of them, but then let Miss T finish while I guided from the ground. It goes much faster if you have a pair of eyes on the ground in front of the tractor. SHE is much better with the tractor, but I will get in some practice from now on. I have two hands again.

all moved.jpg
all moved.jpg (399.11 KiB) Viewed 407 times

I got them all lined up to make them easier to pick up as we use them. This will also make things go faster. The area around the berm is clear and clean now, allowing a much easier movement of the tractor to place the "bricks" for the wall.

freedom of movement.jpg
freedom of movement.jpg (334.86 KiB) Viewed 407 times

My next step would be to move that dirt pile and no more than mentioned it, and Miss T grabbed the key and headed down. I stayed here to monitor the phones. We will start laying ties in the wall again tomorrow.

the dirt pile is next.jpg
the dirt pile is next.jpg (377.48 KiB) Viewed 407 times
3 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Dahliathemeh
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Dahliathemeh » Tue May 31, 2022 12:55 pm

You two tire me out!!! Whew!
0 x
I never take myself seriously....

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue May 31, 2022 4:31 pm

Dahliathemeh wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 12:55 pm
You two tire me out!!! Whew!
I tire easily. From sitting on my A$$ for the last year. Miss T is the energizer bunny. Sitting around is the one thing she Doesn't Do. If she doesn't have a project, she invents one.

This morning, she was up at 6am as I was, but was out the door at 630 to take care of the critters, back in for a quick cup of coffee. She finished half the cup, then grabbed the keys for the tractor intending to finish clipping the rest of the pastures. NOT bushhogging, just tipping them. cutting them at about 12-14" in height. Cutting the tops off the weeds and flowers before they seed out. Here is Miss T at her happiest:

miss T at her happiest 220530.jpg
miss T at her happiest 220530.jpg (187.55 KiB) Viewed 392 times

The results of yesterday's labor... the north pasture freshly tipped.

north pasture freshly tipped 220530.jpg
north pasture freshly tipped 220530.jpg (222.26 KiB) Viewed 392 times

This morning, we worked on the berm wall again for an hour or so, maybe two hours. We got another row and a half in place. We are now 1/3 of the way done. No rush, and with my back and leg issues, I'm not pushing it. Of course, Miss T reattached the bush hog and went back out and finished cutting the areas that were left to tip. (Or as some call it, Top.) Took her a couple hours. ;)

moving along 220531.jpg
moving along 220531.jpg (372.03 KiB) Viewed 392 times

In the pic above, it's much easier to see the interlocking of the various ties. This will continue up the berm wall. Once a tie is laid, we take the hammer drill and an 16" bit and drill down thru the one tie and into the tie below it, one hole on one end and another on the other end. Making sure that the hole at the center locks the tie to the overlapping ties. We drive the rebar spike into the tie below. It's pretty stable, but to insure security of the 10' wall, I will put one vertical post behind each wing, and two behind the center berm wall, and have a brace extend back at about a thirty degree angle from the vertical support. Should be pretty stable. Stay tuned, the job continues. The hammer drill batteries AND the broken ol Marine are on the charger.
2 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:08 am

“The hammer drill batteries AND the broken ol Marine are on the charger.“

Ain’t that the truth! :D

Looking good.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:42 am

It's progressing very well it seems. Great photographs.
It's good to recharge occasionally.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:32 pm

Nice work there Marine. In this kind of weather slow but steady progress is a very good thing.

Paul
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:37 pm

No work on the berm today, the therapist tortured (I mean worked with ) me at physical therapy. :o :roll:
We should be back at it tomorrow. I'll hope to get another four rows done in the morning before the heat rolls in. :)
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:39 am

You’re sure making that twisted pile of RR ties we saw last year into a good looking backstop. Thanks for posting the pics.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:58 am

Hatchdog wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:39 am
You’re sure making that twisted pile of RR ties we saw last year into a good looking backstop. Thanks for posting the pics.
I'm getting even. :twisted:
That twisted pile broke my wrist in two places, so I'm driving two spikes through each one! :lol: I'm taking sick pleasure doing it. (Not really. Okay, maybe a little. ;) )

No work today, Mother Nature is messing with me. Rain, sunshine, Rain, Sunshine.
Tina had used the box blade to level the area up there and got it nice and smooth, not going to tear it up with the tractor while it's soft. Wait until tomorrow. :evil:
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:05 pm

Waited until we finished breakfast toast and coffee this morning and got down to the berm and got started this morning. While we were drinking our coffee the morning looked promising. Bright sunshine and the day was warming up. We were waiting for one of the gang to come by and pick up fresh milk. She showed and then Miss T headed down to ready the tractor, and I pulled the UTV down with all the tools. The sky turned dark off to the North. :( Didn't look good for the home team. We were able to knock out two more layers and then felt big drops begin to fall. I hurried to gather the tools, as Tina put away the tractor and we headed up to the farmhouse for cover. As black as the skies were it didn't look like a simple summer rain. We hit cover just as the skies fell. I didn't even get pics. :shock: Sorry.

It began raining buckets and Tina went out into her shop to work on a Quilt for one of the Granddaughters and I sat in the house, wishing I had my kindle. :) WeeWeeWee ... :? The weather service scanner alarm... "The National Weather Service has issued Severe Thunderstorm Warnings for xxxx until 1145am including heavy rains, dangerous winds and Flood Warnings. Do not drive through high rushing waters, LOOK up into heavy rains or you will drown. Hold metal rods into the air over your head during the thunderstorm... " :lol:

It's 1pm and the thunderstorms continue. Looks like the berm work is done for another couple days at least. :twisted:
I think my ex-wife IS mother nature....

Okay, one pic. Here is a view of the Big Screen with the four live views from the Security Cams during the Thunder Storms. I missed the HUGE Lightning Blast.

severe Tstorms 220605.jpg
severe Tstorms 220605.jpg (136.66 KiB) Viewed 329 times

The Camera system is good. All four cams are pretty good, Digital, Zoom, Night Vision. No Pan or Tilt. :cry: When I replace them down the road I'll add Pan, Tilt, and IR Lighting for Night Vision. You are only paranoid if they AREN'T out to get you.

You'd be surprised what we have caught on camera...

Gotcha.jpg
Gotcha.jpg (160.17 KiB) Viewed 329 times
0 x