Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Finally Starting on the Berm

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Finally Starting on the Berm

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue May 24, 2022 12:08 pm

Easy so far... Rained every day since. :evil:
But thanks, we will take it slow and easy, and be careful. Those RR Ties are heavy. I plan to make the Kubota earn it's keep. :D
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Tue May 24, 2022 1:46 pm

Yeah, this will be nice project to watch. Going to be a nice range when finished Marine.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat May 28, 2022 10:37 am

This is the big day! No rain for the last three. Watch this space. Tina is bush hogging, and I'm heading to the shop after coffee to load the tools in the UTV.

Yes, this was a teaser... I know, mean, wasn't it? :twisted:
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sat May 28, 2022 10:39 am

I hope all goes well marine.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat May 28, 2022 1:34 pm

Got at it this morning, with Miss Tina heading down to bush hog around the area we wanted to work in to reduce the chance of snakes, and me finishing my coffee then heading out to load the tools into the UTV. I loaded up the things I thought we might need and turned out I made good choices. We used everything BUT the logging chain... that still might come later. ;)

01 tools.jpg
01 tools.jpg (232.24 KiB) Viewed 412 times

After a half hour spent laying out the exact location of the center of the lane, then deciding where I wanted the first Brick in the wall... (Hear it? I hear it.. the music.... "Just another brick in the wall.) Here she is, the first BRICK in the wall.

02 First Brick.jpg
02 First Brick.jpg (327.83 KiB) Viewed 412 times

That first spike was driven in with a fork on the pallet forks. Smooth as butter.

03 drive it.jpg
03 drive it.jpg (325.42 KiB) Viewed 412 times
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat May 28, 2022 1:44 pm

From there it was just a matter of laying out the wings on either side. Get at it, slip and slide the Rail Road Tie after dropping it with the pallet forks. Miss Tina was overly protective and didn't want me lifting or pushing as that right femur has that plate and all those screws in it. The doc warned that if I torque it, ... :shock: :o So... we used the tip of the forks to push and twist, or I levered with the big tamping bar, basically a giant pry bar. I have this cool technique whereas she pulls up and I stab that bar in the ground and when she backs off the RR tie spins against the bar to get the angle correct, then, dump it off. It slides easily on the forks. Work smarter, not harder. The first wing in place.

04 gettin at it.jpg
04 gettin at it.jpg (398.54 KiB) Viewed 412 times

As each base leg was placed, we drilled thru with the hammer drill and spiked them with 18" spikes. Finally all three were placed and spiked. Tah Dah, an idea what the WALL will look like in relation to the range.

05 base laid.jpg
05 base laid.jpg (401.3 KiB) Viewed 412 times

The first leg of the second layer was dropped and spiked into the layer below with a pair of 12" spikes. They will stagger to interlock. The weight of the design will keep them from tilting back toward the camera, and the dirt in front will keep them from going over forward. I plan to set two posts against this side of the center wall as well. Should be pretty stable.

06 a good start.jpg
06 a good start.jpg (391.18 KiB) Viewed 412 times

Miss T monitors the old guy pretty close and called it. I had begun to get tired and she said I couldn't chance working tired. There is no rush and we'll split the job up and spread it out rather than risk further injury. THAT, or hire it done. There are plenty more TIES to lay, so we quit for now.

07 plenty more to go.jpg
07 plenty more to go.jpg (328.43 KiB) Viewed 412 times

At least you have an idea where I'm going with this... you see the dirt pile we'll start with. Plenty more around the farm to bring in once we are done with the wall.

Stay tuned.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat May 28, 2022 2:59 pm

Of course, once the wall is completed, we will move the dirt back against the wall, filling tires with the dirt in the lowest levels to help prevent erosion. I can get the tires for free from tire shops. That way they charged customers the disposal fee, but don't have to pay it out... Pretty slick.

In watching some berm videos, some tire/mechanics shops charged the berm guys a couple bucks for tires because they were charging the customer a disposal fee, then selling the tires to recyclers who ground them up for various products. Win/Win for the business.
0 x

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Sat May 28, 2022 6:26 pm

I once built an berm out of tires just as the NRA design called for. Just be SURE you pack the tires solidly with
dirt. My problem was that 9mm rounds would bounce back off the tires!👀
0 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat May 28, 2022 6:30 pm

cooperhawk wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 6:26 pm
I once built an berm out of tires just as the NRA design called for. Just be SURE you pack the tires solidly with
dirt. My problem was that 9mm rounds would bounce back off the tires!👀
I had read that on several posts, and seen that comment in several videos of folks that put up HOW to build berm videos. :o
I have NO intention of having exposed tires in my berm. I will have tires along the bottom couple layers of the wall, packed with dirt to help HOLD the dirt in the base. I will pack dirt in FRONT of the tires and keep dirt packed in front of the tires for just that reason, but thanks for the warning, I don't need spent rounds flying back. THEY can still hurt. :evil:
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun May 29, 2022 9:50 am

Do plan a session on the range berm today, but have to wait by the phone first. We found someone willing to come cut / rake / bale our hayfield. He is going to come look at it today, and give us a quote. CAN'T miss that call. Hay is scarce with the spring drought this year, has doubled in price, almost triple in some areas. Some people are just selling their herds.

We'll work on the berm after that appointment. :D
0 x