Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

The day the earth went dark

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

The day the earth went dark

Post by Hatchdog » Wed May 18, 2022 10:04 am

42 years ago today Mt. St. Helen’s (a volcano) blew up. It’s located in Southwest Washington State and the prevailing wind from there usually heads right to Spokane which is located in central Eastern Washington State. I believe it blew around 9 or 10 am and at around mid-day here in Spokane it got completely dark. I remember looking to the west and thinking that “that’s one mother of a storm coming” which surprised me as there was no storm in the forecast. It was the ash cloud from the volcano and it remained dark for over two hours. The ash was falling like rain and everything, ground, buildings, cars, streets, etc. was a grayish white like a dirty snow. Pretty crazy times back then as nobody and I mean nobody including scientists and government agencies knew what to expect. In the end all was good and for several years the crops in central Washington were bumper crops. The theory was that the layer of ash helped retain the available moisture leading to the great harvests.

C97ACFBB-7D01-425C-A006-FB37B58266C7.jpeg
C97ACFBB-7D01-425C-A006-FB37B58266C7.jpeg (46.83 KiB) Viewed 390 times
1 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: The day the earth went dark

Post by Cofisher » Wed May 18, 2022 12:57 pm

Incredible event
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Wed May 18, 2022 1:25 pm

I remember that day all too clearly.
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Wed May 18, 2022 1:55 pm

Here in Wenatchee it didn't get much darker than a overcast day, we got less than a ¼inch of ash. I was playing tennis that morning and no one knew St. Helen's had blown, the ash fall was so light you couldn't see it coming down but we started seeing little marks where the balls where hitting the courts. Someone went in and listened to the radio and heard what had happened.

Mt. Rainer, along with most of the Cacade peaks are still active volcanoes and if (when) it erupts the mud and water flow from the west slopes could (will) cause some major damage.

https://www.wired.com/2015/05/volcanoes ... et-lately/
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Wed May 18, 2022 2:21 pm

My sister had just moved to Portland OR to start a new geology career as a hydrologist when the mountain blew. What a welcome.....! I live in Spokane now, but I was 2500 miles away back then.

https://www.inlander.com/spokane/blast- ... d=19607738

I feel pretty safe here, at least from St Helens, but there is no guarantee that Hood or Rainier of one of the Three Sisters in Oregon won't pop in my lifetime. But I am safer than all those hundreds of thousands of folks living on the high risk lahar floodplains.

https://www.usgs.gov/media/images/mt-ra ... hazard-map

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Wed May 18, 2022 3:13 pm

John E Davies wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 2:21 pm

I feel pretty safe here, at least from St Helens, but there is no guarantee that Hood or Rainier of one of the Three Sisters in Oregon won't pop in my lifetime. But I am safer than all those hundreds of thousands of folks living on the high risk lahar floodplains.

John Davies
Spokane WA
A lot less frequent but they say at some point in time Yellowstone's super volcano will blow and then we're all likely screwed. I've heard the time line is around 300,000 years between eruptions and we're overdue for one.
0 x

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Wed May 18, 2022 4:43 pm

I remember that, it was a rather big event. I plan on missing the Yellowstone eruption.
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Wed May 18, 2022 6:58 pm

Yep, the Yellowstone Caldera is about 40 MILES wide. If that pops, the world will be back in the Stone Age. I hope you guys have plenty of primers…. and I hope we have established colonies on other planets and moons by then. Now image if a city sized asteroid hit dead center in that caldera….😳… Time to rewatch The Expanse for the third time. Or one of these other Asteroid Kills Everybody flicks.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/vissiniti ... id/%3famp

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Wed May 18, 2022 8:34 pm

John E Davies wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 6:58 pm
Yep, the Yellowstone Caldera is about 40 MILES wide. If that pops, the world will be back in the Stone Age. I hope you guys have plenty of primers…. and I hope we have established colonies on other planets and moons by then. Now image if a city sized asteroid hit dead center in that caldera….😳… Time to rewatch The Expanse for the third time. Or one of these other Asteroid Kills Everybody flicks.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/vissiniti ... id/%3famp

John Davies
Spokane WA
If any one of those events happen, not worrying about. Nothing we can do. Enjoy what you do while you are still able.
0 x

Centaur
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Centaur » Thu May 19, 2022 8:48 am

We were camping near Dubois, Wyoming that day, and we woke to find ash over everything. That’s a long way from St Helens. I can only imagine what it was like nearby.
0 x