Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Stopped in a Local Gun Shop Today

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Stopped in a Local Gun Shop Today

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:50 am

If you run across a Ruger Scout in .223 the scout rail can be removed and a scope can be mounted in the normal position on the receiver. I believe Ruger has discontinued it in .223 but there are some out there. Probably more expensive than the American however.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:23 am

Score!

Drove the wife up to OKC on Sunday to pick up an older Bernina she had seen on Craigslist. The mom had passed, the son was selling the house, and needed to clean out the sewing room. He had sold a Quilting Machine for a handsome profit, and a few other things, but mom loved the Bernina and he wanted it to go to someone who would use it. Tina sent a pic of Her sewing room, he gave her a great price, and then loaded the back of the truck with rubbermaid tubs of extras.
Tina Scored!

On the way in, Tina spotted an indoor shooting range/gun store, "We can check there on the way out, you might find something." ;) What a woman.

I walked thru the doors, and it was like Bass Pro for GUNS. I wandered around, and I think I might have drooled a little. The long guns were organized by caliber, and nestled there in the 223 case was the Ruger American Bolt Action 556/223 with magpull 10 round AR mag. Sweet.

Yup. They had a Vortex Copperhead scope 4x12 on sale, retail $209, sale price was $119. The gunsmith didn't work on Sunday so we are driving back up today. They will mount and boresight the scope at no charge.

So, to make sure, I made a loop around the store before my final purchase. :o
There, hiding in the handgun showcase... The elusive Uberti Birds Head Single Action 357. :P What to do? Two of the top guns on my bucket list. I wandered around the store for ten minutes in quiet contemplation, then did what any good Marine would do. I bought them both...

With today's situation... I might not see them again.
:?

Pics to follow...
The Ruger is utility, a working gun.
The Uberti is beautuful. Color case hardened, and blue.

Yup, Grumpy Scored Too
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:35 am

Congratulations times two!

Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Really, congratulations times three, Tina needs to be included.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:19 pm

We made it back up to OKC today. Tina went to the sewing shop to drop off two machines for maintenance. Dropped me at the Shooting Range to have the scope mounted. While they did that, she went on and checked out the sewing store and took care of HER thang... :) I checked out the ammo situation. They had bulk shotgun ammo on sale, by the case! :o They had bulk rifle ammo in various calibers on sale, by the case, but only in FMJ. Hunting ammo you are limited to ONE box in each caliber, per person, per day and the computerized register keeps track. Can't hack the system by going from one clerk to the other. :lol: BUT, I was able to get two boxes of 308 and two of 223 soft points because "I" bought one of each and Miss T bought one of each. We will both be shooting the yotes so fair is fair. ;)

I didn't need cases of 223 or 308 FMJ, so I didn't buy it... :?
Maybe I should have bought one case of 308 since I only have 100 rounds total?

Here is the Ruger American Ranch 556 with the Vortex Copperhead Scope. Hopefully I'll start on the berm next week and get to try 'er out.

ruger Ranch 556 c.jpg
ruger Ranch 556 c.jpg (229.13 KiB) Viewed 267 times

Tina said, "Eww, that things ugly." I told her it's a working gun, you don't need pretty wood and a bright shiny barrel. It will be beautiful if it shoots nice tight groups.

This is the Uberti Birds Head 357.

birds head c.jpg
birds head c.jpg (242.37 KiB) Viewed 267 times

Tina liked this one... "Beautiful" was her opinion. "Heavy" was the next comment.
"It's a short barreled 357." I said, "You'll like the way the grips are shaped and all that weight."
:D

Berm... need to get busy on the berm. One handed or not... that's what the tractor is for.
:P
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:08 pm

Congrats! Yes, you have a good woman, there. That Uberti is awesome. No way would I have passed it up. Can't wait to hear how it shoots.
0 x

brm4450
Drover
United States of America

Post by brm4450 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:41 pm

Sweet deal
0 x
H012C, 2 H004V, H001TMER, H004SV, H001TV, H001TLB, H003T, H005MG, H001V, H001TLP, Rossi Ranch Hand, Uberti 1860, Ubérti 1866 Goldenboy
"when you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk" Tuco

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:32 am

Haven’t had a centerfire American but I had a 22 wmr and my wife has a LR both Americans. Both ran flawlessly and are/were very accurate. Many a ground squirrel came to a sudden end with both.
0 x