Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Stopped in a Local Gun Shop Today

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Stopped in a Local Gun Shop Today

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:35 pm

One of the girls lives about three hours away and called today to let us know that the goats she took to the butcher were ready. We could meet her halfway to pick up the fresh meat so neither of us would have to make a six hour round trip. On the drive back home with the meat safely iced down in a large cooler, we stopped at a local gun shop in a small town along the route to check for my Bucket List guns.

;)

Sadly, they didn't have any of the guns on my Bucket List but he did have a couple that were close.

He had a Used Ruger Single Six, unique in it's caliber. The Single Six is usually a .22; this one was a .32 caliber, nice and clean, with the Ruger Factory fake ivory grips. I don't reload .32, don't have any other guns in that caliber, and he didn't have any ammo on the shelves in .32. I don't intend to add additional calibers to the safe, but it was a nice little Single Action.

He didn't have the Ruger #1 or Ruger American Predator in 223, but he did have a Savage Axis in 223; an entry level Bolt gun that has some good reviews on line. Not what I was looking for however, NOT on my bucket list, but a Scoped 223 for $349 is a pretty good buy. Savage does have a model a little farther up their line that is very highly rated, but very hard to find.

The 223 Ruger American Predator will accept the AR magazines, I have a few. :? The #1 is just beautiful. Bucket List... not guns I have to have. Guns I just want.

He says he gets in all the time. I left my card, he'll call if any of the six on the list come in.
;)

I'm retired, it's a nice drive.
5 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Re: Stopped in a Local Gun Shop Today

Post by cooperhawk » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:13 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:35 pm
The #1 is just beautiful. Bucket List... not guns I have to have.
I also love the #1. I have one in .243 and one in 7MM Mauser. I also have a #3 in .22 Hornet.
They are well made with nice wood and shoot extremely well.
The 7MM is the light sporter and it's really nice to carry in the brush. I hand load the cartridge
to a higher velocity than off the shelf ammo.
0 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:27 am

cooperhawk wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:13 am
BrokenolMarine wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:35 pm
The #1 is just beautiful. Bucket List... not guns I have to have.
I also love the #1. I have one in .243 and one in 7MM Mauser. I also have a #3 in .22 Hornet.
They are well made with nice wood and shoot extremely well.
The 7MM is the light sporter and it's really nice to carry in the brush. I hand load the cartridge
to a higher velocity than off the shelf ammo.
I have a gun collection built over the years. I reload for several calibers on the dillon 550 progressive. Don't look to add another caliber at this stage. :roll:

I always wanted a #1 since I saw a friend's in 22-250. His has beautiful wood and was a tack driver. I want to get either the #1 or an accurate bolt gun platform in 223 since I have that caliber in my collection now. The Ruger American will take AR mags, convienant, since I have one or two laying around if I go that route. :?
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:40 am

Sure wish I was closer, recently I was looking for that exact Ruger in .32. I did end up with one in .327 which will shoot .32 of course but I liked the uniqueness of the .32 caliber.

Good choice on the American in .223 since it uses AR mags. I bought the Scout rifle in 5.56 and it’s a hoot to shoot. Unfortunately it takes ACIS mags which are much more expensive than P-mags. 223 bolt guns are just plain fun. Local guy has a 7.62x39 bolt gun for sale that’s tempting but I’m going to exercise some self control here………… like you, it would be a new caliber and even tho a set of dies are included I’m……I’m…….I’m going to pass! :o

The rifle is a CZ 527 Carbine. Sure is a good looking carbine. Comes with lots of ammo and a set of dies. He’s looking for a trade not a cash sale…….resist hatchdog, resist…… :lol:

As BOM says below, decide what you need a tool for and choose depending on that. (Man I hate common sense :lol: )

06CA4349-6C05-478B-801D-D89DC9A72BF2.jpeg
06CA4349-6C05-478B-801D-D89DC9A72BF2.jpeg (121.59 KiB) Viewed 609 times
Last edited by Hatchdog on Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:51 am

The original 32 cal Single Six was in 32 H&R Mag when that caliber first came out in 1984. It was actually called the Single Six Magnum. I had one and it was a delight to shoot in 32 H&R. There was also a much rarer Bisley Single Six in 32 H&R that was introduced a couple years, later, when Ruger introduced the Bisley. That one is on my bucket list.

More recently, there have been seven shot Single Sixes called Single Sevens in 327 mag and there have also been limited runs of a Bisley in 32 H&R. Had a Single Seven and it was a great shooter in 327, but I shot mostly 32 H&Rs with that gun.

The 32 H&R in a single action gets my vote as the moist pleasant and relaxing way to shoot a centerfire single action.
0 x

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:02 am

Hatchdog wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:40 am
Local guy has a 7.62x39 bolt gun for sale that’s tempting but I’m going to exercise some self control here………… like you, it would be a new caliber and even tho a set of dies are included I’m……I’m…….I’m going to pass! :o
Oh come on, you know you want it.😉 It's almost a 7x57.

The older Mausers probably should not be loaded up to higher velocities. Depending where they were made they
might not stand up to the pressures. Now if it was German made...........👀
0 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:02 pm

I have been looking at the Ruger line on line, they also make the bolt guns in a Ranch version, with a 16" barrel vs. the 22" barrel of the predator or varmint version. It would ride better in the utv or pickup. :) Although the Ranch wouldn't have the range of the varmint versions, I wouldn't be making/ taking shots over 100 yards on the farm anyway. I'm not a hunter, would be using the rifle for predator/varmint control.

An honest look at the use of the firearm will often help in the decision of what to purchase, or more importantly IF to purchase. :lol:
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:59 pm

Hatchdog wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:40 am
Sure wish I was closer, recently I was looking for that exact Ruger in .32. I did end up with one in .327 which will shoot .32 of course but I liked the uniqueness of the .32 caliber.

Good choice on the American in .223 since it uses AR mags. I bought the Scout rifle in 5.56 and it’s a hoot to shoot. Unfortunately it takes ACIS mags which are much more expensive than P-mags. 223 bolt guns are just plain fun. Local guy has a 7.62x39 bolt gun for sale that’s tempting but I’m going to exercise some self control here………… like you, it would be a new caliber and even tho a set of dies are included I’m……I’m…….I’m going to pass! :o

The rifle is a CZ 527 Carbine. Sure is a good looking carbine. Comes with lots of ammo and a set of dies. He’s looking for a trade not a cash sale…….resist hatchdog, resist…… :lol:

As BOM says below, decide what you need a tool for and choose depending on that. (Man I hate common sense :lol: )

06CA4349-6C05-478B-801D-D89DC9A72BF2.jpeg
If you want that I wouldnt pass on it. Mine shoots that cheap Russian ammo very well and the set trigger on that gun is awesome. I love mine and I dont know what they want for it but I know one thing if you shot one you would be grinning from ear to ear. There hows that for enabling
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:37 pm

Marine, man I would like to find one of those 32's around here.
As to the Axis, I picked one last year on the low, low without the scope.
Heck I have more in the scope than the rifle. :o :D
After a little work on the trigger, it's in the 3 lb range now.
And with some of my own loads, it'll group inside a quarter easily at a 100 yds. ;)

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:28 pm

I think I'm leaning toward the Ruger American Ranch bolt action in 223. With the 16" barrel it will fit the utv rack better. It's supposedly very accurate to 200 yards or so, and I don't need shots more than that on my farm. It will use the AR mags. If I can't find one, the savage axis 2 has an upgraded trigger for an extra $150, still in the $500 range.
0 x