Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Need help with fiction novel details

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: Need help with fiction novel details

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:06 am

John E Davies wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:19 am
If you haven’t read the Saxon Chronicles, do so, at least the first few volumes. It will provide excellent background. Cornwell makes up some events and people, but his general facts are authentic.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Saxon_Stories

I haven’t watched the TV version, I am averse to excessive buckets of blood, impaled heads and sword lopped limbs, but that would also be an option.

I agree with the above comment, they were shrewd and savvy and most of them would not hesitate to use captured firearms.

John Davies
Spokane WA
I guess what I'm curious about is the goal of the time traveling Vikings. They weren't the typical conqueror types such as the various empire builders in Europe (Alexander, etc.), but were raiders for loot, and explorers, from what little I know about them. The islanders obviously had a self sustaining population (women and kids), so how does this factor into the plot line? Also, in the 1800's there was a great deal of trans-Atlantic and trans-Pacific trade going on by the great powers of the day (British, American, China, Japan, Spain, France, Dutch, Muslim, etc.) so was this bunch of Vikings their first encounter with the outside world? I rather doubt it. One of my ancestors was a merchant ship captain in the late 1700's early 1800's who made many trips to Europe and parts of the Caribbean.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

tillman
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by tillman » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:28 pm

This is a fantasy, sci-fi adventure novel written for young people (ages 11-14). The mystical tropical islands where the story takes place are uncharted and on the "far side" of the known world. The Vikings were on an exploratory voyage from Scandinavia when they were pulled through the time-tunnel by a mysterious magnetic force. Decades later, the 21st century crew encounter the same time-tunnel.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:09 pm

Why not go airguns like Lewis & Clark? You can smelter the lead anywhere and air is everywhere too.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater