Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Need help with fiction novel details

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
tillman
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Need help with fiction novel details

Post by tillman » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:29 pm

Hi,
I am new here. I am writing a fiction novel (young adult adventure sea tale / time travel theme), which involves a team of 21st century sailors travelling through a time-tunnel and ending up on a 19th century tropical island occupied by Viking invaders. They work with the island resistance group to procure weapons and ammo to fight the invaders. So, they sail back through the tunnel to procure weapons, ammo, medical supplies, etc... and return to train and help the islanders win back their freedom. I am featuring the Henry rifle in the novel. I would like some thoughts on type of weapons, accuracy, ammunition. If this is not the correct place to post this, please let me know. Thanks ahead for your help. - J
2 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: Need help with fiction novel details

Post by Cofisher » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:39 pm

Oh, this is going to be fun. Vikings won’t know what hit them. Literally. Go for it dude. 45 cal rimfire. Hah!
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:53 pm

I'd equip them with the All Weather Side Gate, Model- This one https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/big-boy ... side-gate/

For 2 reasons: Being on an island implies salt water, so corrosion would be an issue, and magazine capacity (10 rounds). I'd probably select the .38/.357 for caliber in a good JHP, which would be sufficiently powerful out to 100yds or so.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:40 pm

What weapons will the invaders have? Actual Vikings from long ago were very ferocious warriors, the resistance will need some serious firepower. For Henry info, watch a bunch of YouTube “Henry rifle review test” videos. Better yet, see if you can actually shoot one or more, do you know anybody who has one?

You need to understand that there is the Original Henry rifle, a more or less accurate reproduction of the very first Henry from 1860, and a whole bunch of modern designs. None of which are closely related to the first, other than in the basic layout. Have you explored the Henry website, ordered a catalog?

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

tillman
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by tillman » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:43 pm

Thanks to everyone for the quick replies. Thanks for bringing up all-weather weapons, suggestions for the caliber of ammo, and 10-round capacity. I have seen several vids on the Henry, but I will take your advice and investigate more. The Viking invaders are battle-hardened warriors with spears, battle axes, swords, bow and arrow, etc. They, too, passed through the time-tunnel long ago and ended up in the 19th century on this tropical island. They outnumber the resisters by a factor of about 10 to 1. The sailors do have an ex-Navy Seal among them, who is an expert in guerilla warfare tactics and knows how to create and rig incendiary devices on trip wires. The time-tunnel allows you to travel back and forth for a limited time, ending up on the same day, month, and year you left in either century. But the window of opportunity is very short (before the time-tunnel disappears). Thanks again for everyone's input and time.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:09 am

You might want to consider the Ammunition question. They would either have to bring cases of ammo, or supplies to reload. If not, once they run out of ammo, their modern weapons would be useless. I read a story years and years ago where a group going shooting in the desert time travelled back into cave man times, but their pickup went with them. They had cases of ammo, plus a single stage press and reloading supplies. They were armed with .45s and scoped rifles. The truck soon ran out of gas, but they set up their base camp in a cave, and ... took over.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:39 am

tillman wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:43 pm
Thanks to everyone for the quick replies. Thanks for bringing up all-weather weapons, suggestions for the caliber of ammo, and 10-round capacity. I have seen several vids on the Henry, but I will take your advice and investigate more. The Viking invaders are battle-hardened warriors with spears, battle axes, swords, bow and arrow, etc. They, too, passed through the time-tunnel long ago and ended up in the 19th century on this tropical island. They outnumber the resisters by a factor of about 10 to 1. The sailors do have an ex-Navy Seal among them, who is an expert in guerilla warfare tactics and knows how to create and rig incendiary devices on trip wires. The time-tunnel allows you to travel back and forth for a limited time, ending up on the same day, month, and year you left in either century. But the window of opportunity is very short (before the time-tunnel disappears). Thanks again for everyone's input and time.
Vikings weren't stupid, and would no doubt try to capture the modern weaponry for their own use. Tactics to do exactly that were well known to ancient peoples around the world, and often succeeded. I'll refer you to Sun Tzu's writings from 2000 years ago. :)
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:19 am

If you haven’t read the Saxon Chronicles, do so, at least the first few volumes. It will provide excellent background. Cornwell makes up some events and people, but his general facts are authentic.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Saxon_Stories

I haven’t watched the TV version, I am averse to excessive buckets of blood, impaled heads and sword lopped limbs, but that would also be an option.

I agree with the above comment, they were shrewd and savvy and most of them would not hesitate to use captured firearms.

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

tillman
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by tillman » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:51 am

Good thoughts. My primary research guide is The Age of the Vikings by Anders Winroth. An excellent history that digs deep into the culture, shipbuilding, exploration.
0 x

tillman
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by tillman » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:03 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:09 am
They would either have to bring cases of ammo, or supplies to reload. If not, once they run out of ammo, their modern weapons would be useless.
Great point. They will be loading a large, sea-going 42 foot cabin cruiser with supplies and cases of ammo. Is there a reference where I could find how many bullets in a case of a specific caliber and how much that case would weigh? Thanks!
0 x