Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Jury Duty

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Jury Duty

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:20 pm

I have never been eligible for jury duty in the past due to my previous two careers. As active duty military... Nope. Then law enforcement, double nope. Now that I am retired... I got a screening package from the district court back in June. Pages of questions. I filled them all out and didn't seek an exemption. I got a notice last week.... I am on call beginning Nov 2 for three months.

Anyone stood jury duty? Interesting cases, snooze fest? Liar vs. Liar?
I'm retired, other than doctor's appts, nothing much happening. If called, I'll be taking a trip to Muskogee.

;)
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Jury Duty

Post by JEBar » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:34 pm

my 30+ year old career in NC's prison system pretty well killed my jury service .... have been retired over 10 years and haven't been called .... wonder how long that will last :?:
0 x

Centaur
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Centaur » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:05 pm

Got voir dired a couple of times. Somehow, the defense didn’t want me on a jury. 28 years in law enforcement makes them a little gunshy, evidently.
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:59 pm

I've been called several times and have just sat and waited in the jury pool only to be told to go home a couple of hours later.
Jake
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:46 pm

Guess I'm different. Have had to deal with Jury duty call several times over many years and the last time was for Federal District court and got out of that one. Was NOT going to walk the streets of Richmond from parking to the court without my conceal carry!

Last month me and wife both got a jury questionaire for local duty for the 2022 session. Will see where that goes and if covid still running around no way can I sit in a room full of people wearing a mask all day....nope that won't happen! Come April 2022 at 68 I'll have only two more years to deal with the call then be exempt. Plenty of 20 somethings running around doing nothing they can pick from!
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:21 pm

I emailed the Jury supervisor, told them I was happy to serve but wanted to make sure my chair wouldn't be an access problem for the court, courtroom, or jury box; nor would my prescription pain meds if I'd be sitting all day. Didn't want to drive two hours to the district court and be told, "Nope: can't use you."

I haven't heard back yet, but...

I never sat on a jury in the Corps either, but did serve as a bailiff in a court martial. Guy went into a fellow Marine's room at 2am while he was sleeping, took money while he was sleeping. Woke up and caught him. His defense? Too drunk to have criminal intent. Didn't work.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:22 pm

My doctor gave me a letter for permanent exemption from jury duty. Didn't give the specific reason in the letter, but it was due to my BPH. Didn't think the judge would be too happy with frequent bathroom break requests.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:53 pm

Got called and served many many years ago on a petty theft case. Pretty much a yawner. :?
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:00 pm

Got called once when I lived in NJ just before I moved to Georgia. When I told the judge I was in the process of moving out of state and trying to get my house packed up. She said you're dismissed. Then a few years later in Georgia I had to report for jury duty in downtown Atlanta (ugh). I sat in the jury room all morning and we were finally dismissed at noon. About 2 years ago I got a questionnaire from Virginia and once I saw that I could opt out because of my age, I immediately checked that box.

Paul
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:23 pm

What is the age to opt out?, or does it vary from state to state?
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry