Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Remembering 9/11 - Where were you twenty years ago?

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Remembering 9/11 - Where were you twenty years ago?

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:24 pm

I remember it like yesterday. Wife and I were starting our vacation and headed up to Michigan the next day. I had just arrived at a barber shop to get a haircut that morning and had heard on the radio about a plane crashing into one of the towers. I get in the shop and everyone is watching the TV.
Everyone had thought it was a terrible plane accident at first until we all saw the second plane hit the tower and everybody went quiet!
We then knew that the unthinkable was going on....a terrorist attack.
I got home quickly and my wife was watching TV and on the phone with her boss...she was working at the local military base at the time and learned they were locking it all down. That afternoon I was just sitting on the porch trying to take it all in and noticing that no planes were flying at all which is was a strange thing being in the flight path of a large airport. Man it was a terrible day. Oh and we of course cancelled the trip not knowing what all might happen next.
0 x

Centaur
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Centaur » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:52 pm

I was working at the Sheridan, Wy VA helping vets. Didn’t get a lot of work done. Watched and got more and more enraged as the day went on. Still gets me PO’d.
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:17 am

I was home getting ready to go to work. They were showing the fire in the first tower but hadn't said anything about a plane yet. Some early arriving teachers had their classroom TV's on so it got around pretty quickly when they had videos of the planes impacting the towers. Teachers had their TV's off before the kids started arriving, no telling how 500 K-4 kids would react. We did have a TV on in the staff room so we could keep informed.
0 x

runnin n gunnin
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by runnin n gunnin » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:55 pm

Hey Marine. I was on a day off and was the dive master on live aboard for a two day dive at Catalina. Brought my son with me so we could get some dive time in together. Skipper knew me pretty well and what I did. He had a crew member bring me up to the bridge and told me about the first plane. While I was there listening, the second one hit tower two.

Didn't hesitate, told the skipper to turn the boat around and head back to port. I called ahead and had a cruiser pick me up at port and take me downtown, sent my son home. I rallied up my platoon and we deployed on some of the critical infrastructure.

More to say, but we are none political so .......
0 x
I stand for the flag, and kneel for my fallen brothers.

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:12 pm

I was working days for a change. On my way to work I heard about the first plane on the radio. No one knew what was really going on then. By the time I got to work the second plane had hit. Everyone at work had one eye on the TV that day. I had been retired from the AF Reserves for only a few years. I kept expecting a call back. Never happened.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya