Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Remembering 9/11 - Where were you twenty years ago?

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Remembering 9/11 - Where were you twenty years ago?

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:08 pm

I don't want this to become a political post, just share your memories of where you were when the planes hit on 9/11/2001. :?

I was working a day patrol shift, not my usual rotation, but I had been teaching in service that week, and preparing for an upcoming department firearms requalification. I dropped into dispatch to talk to a friend on the way back on the road, and they were repeating the video of the first strike. The dispatcher pointed at the screen and said: "This is real!"

I went down the hall and pulled the Chief and Day Sergeant out of a meeting in his office and into the briefing room and they caught the replay as well, then the second plane hit. I asked the Chief if we needed to start calling in people to secure Government buildings. "Get on it...." he ordered.

He left for meetings with the County Manager, Sheriff, etc. In less than an hour, all County buildings were secure and guarded. The security levels changed forever.
Last edited by BrokenolMarine on Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Remembering 9/11 - Where were you twenty years ago?

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:00 pm

I was at work. Someone ran out and bought a small tv and a lot of us watched the news all day.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:10 pm

I was working swing shift at the time getting off at midnight. We would typically get up around 9:00 am (pacific time) so we didn’t see the attack live but spent the day watching in horror. We went to work that afternoon and to this day my wife and I look at each other and wonder why did we go to work.
0 x

stickmaker

Post by stickmaker » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:22 pm

9/11 is as vivid in my mind and heart as the day JFK was shot. Both change our would. 11/22/63 I was siting in my car getting gas when the music stopped on the radio and they said the President was dead. 9/11 l had been working in the shop. I came in for a cup of coffee. My wife had tears in her eyes and pointed at the TV and I saw the second plane hit tower two. I now add 9/30/21 to that list of infamous days I will never forget. The President of the USA left Americans behind. I am a Marine and Vietnam vet that was unthinkable to me and is another act that will negatively change our world for ever.
Last edited by stickmaker on Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:53 pm

I was at an industry conference in Seattle and was awaken in the AM by my daughter back in Chicago telling me to turn on the tv that something bad was happening in New York. Since this was a national conference with people from all over including Canada it went on for two more days since nobody was going anywhere. My wife and I where originally going to stay and make a vacation out of the rest of the week so we had plans and reservations all over Seattle including going over to Vancouver by ferry. They didn't cancel and after getting off we were meant by Canadian soldiers with M-16's at the ready. As we walk around town, there were signed in windows expressing support and sympathy for the USA. We finally left Friday morning on our original flight. It was the first plane to leave Seattle post 9/11. It was a very wierd and aphrensive flight.
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:33 pm

Marine you were definitely in a position closer to the impact of that attack than I was. I am grateful that you and your brothers and sisters in uniform were ready and willing to run toward the danger.
I was retired from active duty for 8 years when that horrible day dawned. Had I been in uniform I would have had a mission by days end. As it was being a civilian on that day I felt lost. There was nothing I could do, no battle to gear up for. Some of the kids who worked for me in 1993 were still in uniform and would be going to war within days. All I could do for them was pray.
As for that day, I had a service call to a customer about 40 miles from home. Just after leaving the house I heard the news report of the first plane hitting the North Tower. I assumed that it was a small plane one of the tourist flights. A few minutes later the news reported that it was a commercial flight. I knew that something wasn’t right. Before I got to my customer the second plane hit the South Tower. I knew that we were under attack. I called my office to ask if they were listening to the news. They weren’t so I told them to turn on a news channel. If you were to visit me I could show you the exact places on the road where I was when each impact was reported. When I arrived at the customer site they had a tv on the front counter. And most of the employees and customers were gathered there. I was working on the machine they called in for service when the plane hit the Pentagon. I knew that we were going to war and I had no mission. I have never felt as helpless as I did then.
I live just outside of Charlotte North Carolina and our airport is always busy. There were no planes in the air that day following the first known report of the hijacks. It was odd to be aware that the sky was empty. That the aircraft that were always there and just part of every day life were now a threat.
Twenty years later I still wish that I had been able to gear up and go get some.
1 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:48 pm

Tomorrow is the 20th deal with this. I will NOT call it an anniversary. Hope we're geared for this. Excuse me if this comes close to political, but I don't EVER forget. EVER!
1 x

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:35 am

The phone rang waking us up and it was my youngest son telling me to turn on the TV. I watched in horror as the second plane hit.
I had been retired from the FAA for a year and a half.

When I was working at the Washington Air Route Traffic Control Center in Leesburg, Va. back in the seventies and eighties, we had worked on a plan to handle the air traffic in a national emergency. It was called SCANTANA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_ ... ation_Aids
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/87.395

It was very complicated and we all thought it would never work. In fact it worked very well. As an Air Traffic Supervisor we all made sure all of our radar positions had the SCANTANA book in place at all times and that it was current. It detailed which type Aircraft would be directed to which airport. It also contained the exact phraseology to be read on each of the frequencies.

Like many of you I had been very involved in my work, and now I sat helpless at home wondering what was happening. In time I learned that our plan did clear the air space, and did it a lot faster than we ever dreamed. I guess that in the long run it didn't save any lives, as the AC had already been hijacked, but it did provide a feeling of security for the nation.

The attack was horrific and I will never forget. NEVER!!!
0 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

GeoBoy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by GeoBoy » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:22 am

We were in church, my cousin’s 19 year old son had passed, when the priest asked us to pray for people in New York City. When we got home after the funeral services, we turned on the TV and then knew why the priest ask for the prayers.
0 x
Henry Hoo1T, Hoo9

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:50 am

I bought this hat from a fund raiser shortly after the attack. I wear it every 9/11 to honor all those who perished and all those who rushed into danger to help. I wore it yesterday on our trip to Utah and will wear it today on the way back home. I get lots of comments (always positive) when people see it.

F9B9F3C2-F871-48DF-8817-B8E0BE3A1E86.jpeg
F9B9F3C2-F871-48DF-8817-B8E0BE3A1E86.jpeg (287.1 KiB) Viewed 758 times
15259958-87BF-47ED-9726-E44D9BADBF6F.jpeg
15259958-87BF-47ED-9726-E44D9BADBF6F.jpeg (287.62 KiB) Viewed 758 times
1 x