Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Real life training lesson - Defensive pistol

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Real life training lesson - Defensive pistol

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:32 am

There isn't a training sub-forum here, so I felt this was important enough to post it in the lounge since I'm sure many of us carry regularly. What happened here is a very recent real life example of the need to be able to shoot with either hand and under extreme stress.

This officer was shot in his strong hand, but did not switch to his weak hand. During the fight, his gun continued to not cycle properly because of his weak grip from being wounded. If you carry you MUST be able to shoot with either hand whether you carry a pistol or a revolver.

Yes, the odds are low that any of us will be involved in a similar situation, but it's better to be prepared. That means appropriate defensive training and practice, and not just on the square range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3sJjQB8Y_8&t=1s
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Real life training lesson - Defensive pistol

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:57 am

Agreed. The range in Post Falls Id where I have had the good fortune to take a few handgun defensive classes really emphasizes shooting with your support hand. Gunny, this is a good reminder that I need to practice that when I go to the range. Thanks!
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:39 am

Great video, thanks for sharing.

I taught weak hand, I also trained them in night fire since 2/3 of my Officers worked either evenings or midnights. Prior to night qualifications, I had them practice loading magazines into the weapons in the dark, their draw and reholstering, etc. Those who obviously had problems got extra training. We worked on flashlight technique as well. Then we shot drills for practice before we shot for score. A few complained, most appreciated the skills drills rather than show up, qualify, leave.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:57 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:39 am

I taught weak hand, I also trained them in night fire since 2/3 of my Officers worked either evenings or midnights. Prior to night qualifications, I had them practice loading magazines into the weapons in the dark, their draw and reholstering, etc. Those who obviously had problems got extra training. We worked on flashlight technique as well. Then we shot drills for practice before we shot for score. A few complained, most appreciated the skills drills rather than show up, qualify, leave.
There is a part of this that isn't often discussed or understood. That is the term "Defensive" pistol. It puts an image in people's head that you must play by the rules of engagement (laws) - ie you're not supposed to draw, much less shoot, unless the other guy draws/shoots first. That almost guarantees you will loose the engagement unless you get real lucky, because your opponent is not going to play by any rules. So, the question arises: Do you draw/shoot first in anticipation of your opponents actions or do you take your chances? I can't answer that for anyone but myself. I do know this much; a half a second makes a difference.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:14 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:57 am
BrokenolMarine wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:39 am

There is a part of this that isn't often discussed or understood. That is the term "Defensive" pistol. It puts an image in people's head that you must play by the rules of engagement (laws) - ie you're not supposed to draw, much less shoot, unless the other guy draws/shoots first. That almost guarantees you will loose the engagement unless you get real lucky, because your opponent is not going to play by any rules. So, the question arises: Do you draw/shoot first in anticipation of your opponents actions or do you take your chances? I can't answer that for anyone but myself. I do know this much; a half a second makes a difference.
I often told my Officers, especially the night guys, if you have to draw to a threat, you are behind the curve. Of course, it was a different political climate back then.

On midnight shift, on a solo vehicle stop in a dark street or parking lot:

Drawing your weapon as you appoach,
with it held low out of sight,
the take down lights masking your actions,
then discreetly holstering after your accessment,
no problem.

Daylight stops, less threat to the Officers, less need for a ready weapon.I
Officer Safety, and no one offended or threatened.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:22 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:14 pm

I often told my Officers, especially the night guys, if you have to draw to a threat, you are behind the curve. Of course, it was a different political climate back then.

On midnight shift, on a solo vehicle stop in a dark street or parking lot:

Drawing your weapon as you appoach,
with it held low out of sight,
the take down lights masking your actions,
then discreetly holstering after your accessment,
no problem.

Daylight stops, less threat to the Officers, less need for a ready weapon.I
Officer Safety, and no one offended or threatened.
Jeff Cooper offered some good advice in this regard.

"Observe your cat. It is difficult to surprise him. Why? Naturally his superior hearing is part of the answer, but not all of it. He moves well, using his senses fully. He is not preoccupied with irrelevancies. He's not thinking about his job or his image or his income tax. He is putting first things first, principally his physical security. Do likewise."
2 x

Centaur
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Centaur » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:04 pm

As somebody who has been retired from LE for a long time, I still practice on a regular basis. What I don’t do enough is practice with my weak paw. The odds are favorable that I will never be involved in another gunfight, but it doesn’t hurt to be prepared. Situational awareness can keep you out of most scenarios that could lead to needing to draw a weapon, but if everything hits the fan, it would be comforting to know that you have trained for the worst.
I’m glad that I am not on the job in today’s climate, and I pray for those that are.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:50 pm

Exactly, which is why an old retired broken Marine was unloading the rr ties to build the berm for a 100 yard range on the new farm. I can set up any scenario I like. Falling Plates, Bullseye, Hostage Drill, Multiple Targets. I can coach without fear of holding up other shooters or feeling rushed. Or worse, having someone walk up and offer to "help."

I'll get the range built, and get my practice in eventually. Both hands. In PPC, we shot with both hands, multiple positions, 7 - 50 yards. 8-)
0 x

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:54 pm

A lot of great advice on how to be prepared. One of the reasons I still shoot action pistol competitively is to keep my skills prepared. Many stages require shooting weak handed within the stage. Although it's not allowed in competition I still practice one handed reloads. I'll run through a few drill when I'm at the range by myself.

Paul
0 x