Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Gas Shortage

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Gas Shortage

Post by dave77 » Wed May 12, 2021 2:09 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:47 am
I guess this too shall pass. In the mean time though, don't ticket me for riding my 4-wheeler to the grocery store.😐
So I guess you're not allowed to ride your 4-wheeler on public roads in N Carolina

"Where are you permitted to operate an ATV or UTV in North Carolina

In North Carolina, you may not operate an ATV or UTV on any interstate or highway. You may also not ride on any public street, road, or highway except for purposes of crossing that street, road, or highway."

Washington allows them but does have requirements

"Typically, you are limited to roads where the speed limit is 35 mph or lower. Additionally, the actual roads where you are permitted to ride is governed by cities and counties so you have to check with your local authority to ensure you know what roads you may ride on.

Note that you must have a valid driver’s license to operate an ATV or UTV on a public road.

To qualify for an on-road tag, there are three steps you have to follow:

First, you have to ensure your ATV or UTV is equipped with the following:
Head lamp to be illuminated whenever you are driving on the road;
Tail lamp (2 are required for a UTV);
Stop lamps;
Reflectors;
Turn signals;
Brakes;
Mirror (2 are required for a UTV);
Horn or warning device;
Muffler and spark arrester;
Windshield (unless wearing face protection, like our favorite goggles);
Seatbelts (for UTVs only of course);
After making any necessary modifications, you must have your ATV or UTV inspected by a Washington licensed WATV dealer or repair shop. They will complete Part 1 and sign the Wheeled All-Terrain Vehicle Road Use Declaration form. You should be aware the maximum charge for such an inspection is $50.00.
Once you have the inspection completed, you need to take the following to a vehicle licensing office:
The WATV Road Use Declaration form;
A copy of the receipt showing you paid for the inspection – attached to form; and
The vehicle’s title."

One issue here is Wenatchee and E. Wenatchee are really one city, but in different counties and divided by the Columbia River. Both allow 4-wheelers but both bridge's speed limit is over 35MPH. Don't know how well it's enforced, I don't have a 4-wheeler but I would be OK with riding one over one of our bridges, but not the other one.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Wed May 12, 2021 2:19 pm

I see Colonial Pipeline has a posting out for a cyber security manager. Just a little late.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Wed May 12, 2021 2:43 pm

The Colonial Pipeline went into operation in 1964 so how was the system run before all the computer controls? Maybe hire more operators and go back to the old days as in nothing to digitaly corrupt!
3 x

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Wed May 12, 2021 3:24 pm

Gas prices jumped 10 cents a gallon here today as well.
0 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Wed May 12, 2021 3:49 pm

RanchRoper wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 2:19 pm
I see Colonial Pipeline has a posting out for a cyber security manager. Just a little late.
They're not the only ones with weak or non-existent cyber security. SCADA systems are notorious for lacking security, and everybody uses them. It's been a known issue for decades.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCADA

Also:

Excerpt:
https://www.hackernoon.com/scada-cyber- ... 36f56938cd

The data clearly shows that industrial control systems continue to be soft targets for adversaries. According to CyberX 2019 Global ICS & IIoT Risk Report:

40% of industrial sites have at least one direct connection to the public internet
53% of sites have obsolete Windows systems such as Windows XP
69% of sites have plain-text passwords traversing their ICS networks
57% of sites aren’t running anti-virus protections that update signatures automatically
16% of sites have at least one Wireless Access Point
84% of industrial sites have at least one remotely accessible device

NIST Special Publication 800–82 Guide to Industrial Control Systems (ICS) Security states that possible incidents an ICS may face include the following:

Blocked or delayed flow of information through ICS networks, which could disrupt ICS operation.
Unauthorised changes to instructions, commands, or alarm thresholds, which could damage, disable, or shut down equipment, create environmental impacts, and endanger human life.
Inaccurate information sent to system operators, either to disguise unauthorised changes or to cause the operators to initiate inappropriate actions, which could have various adverse effects.
ICS software or configuration settings modified, or ICS software infected with malware, which could have multiple negative effects.
Interference with the operation of equipment protection systems, which could endanger costly and difficult-to-replace equipment.
Interference with the operation of safety systems, which could endanger human life.
Last edited by GunnyGene on Wed May 12, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Wed May 12, 2021 4:08 pm

If we all buy electric cars we’ll be ok. CNN is working on the story as we speak. :)
0 x
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed May 12, 2021 4:11 pm

RanchRoper wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 4:08 pm
If we all buy electric cars we’ll be ok. CNN is working on the story as we speak. :)
Or horses!...
3 x
I'm your Huckleberry

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Wed May 12, 2021 4:25 pm

Yup Badger will have to go on active duty if that shortage reaches here.
Although according to something I saw it’s referred to as “just a supply crunch” which sounds a bit like Capt Crunch so maybe it’s not so bad.
2 x
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed May 12, 2021 5:40 pm

our small town has 4 places that sell gasoline .... we just drove through there and 3 of the 4 are out of gasoline .... there were 20+/- vehicles parked on each side of the road waiting to get to the pumps at the 4th station .... one fellow there had 6 portable gas cans (looked to be 5 or 6 gallons) that he was filling .... somehow that just doesn't seem right to me
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Wed May 12, 2021 6:16 pm

JEBar wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 5:40 pm
our small town has 4 places that sell gasoline .... we just drove through there and 3 of the 4 are out of gasoline .... there were 20+/- vehicles parked on each side of the road waiting to get to the pumps at the 4th station .... one fellow there had 6 portable gas cans (looked to be 5 or 6 gallons) that he was filling .... somehow that just doesn't seem right to me
That's how it starts. Then it progresses to siphoning gas from other people's vehicles at 2am. Speaking from experience. If you've got a garage use it. At the very least, have a locking gas cap.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.