Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Not a Henry, but interesting .22 ammo change up

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
beaverislander
Cowhand
United States of America

Not a Henry, but interesting .22 ammo change up

Post by beaverislander » Sat May 08, 2021 7:41 am

I have a S&W 2206 that was giving me fits by shooting 2.5" low at 30' with the sight screw maxed out. I emailed S&W to see if they could recommend a different sight or what I should do to bring the POI up. They suggested increasing the velocity of the ammo if possible, so I went from CCI-Standard to CCI Mini-Mags and it put me close enough that I'm satisfied. While 30' is no big deal, it's about my limit with those sights anyway before they get all fuzzy so I'm going to call it good enough "considering who it's for."
What I find strange is that when switching ammo with a rifle at shorter distances I've never noticed a difference, it must have something to do with a shorter barrel I'd guess.
0 x

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Re: Not a Henry, but interesting .22 ammo change up

Post by cooperhawk » Sat May 08, 2021 9:12 am

It has to do with faster burning powder. With a short barrel if the powder burns too slow a lot of it is ejected into
the air behind the bullet without providing any propulsion. Faster powder will not be wasted. It will all burn
and provide propulsion. A rifle barrel provides more time for all the powder to burn.
1 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat May 08, 2021 9:13 am

interesting .... glad you found an answer you are OK with .... Mini Mags are my favorite 22LR ammo
1 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun May 09, 2021 1:28 am

Well, CCI standard velocity is my fav .22. It shoots the smallest groups in all of my .22 guns. Fortunately, I don't have an issue with POI in any of them and this ammo.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

beaverislander
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by beaverislander » Sun May 09, 2021 5:35 am

My Henry does fine with standards too, but then I haven't found anything it won't shoot.
This is an easy enough problem to handle now that I'm aware of it.
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Sun May 09, 2021 9:03 am

In my experience if a gun is not shooting well, the very first step is try Mini Mag .36 gr HPs. It is all I will buy, other than .22 Quiet Semi Auto for plinking cans without hearing protection with my 10/22.

I shot my best ever once in a lifetime group with Mini Mags in a CZ 452 Varmint (single set trigger) and it shoots well in all my .22s except for my CZ 455 which hates it. Go figure.

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x