Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Don't be embarrassed to ask!

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Don't be embarrassed to ask!

Post by markiver54 » Sun May 02, 2021 7:42 pm

I have been a firearms enthusiast mostly all of my life. I am in no way an expert on all aspects of firearms. Not even the ones that I own. Luckily, we are fortunate to have members here that are very knowledgable, such as NCG and others.
I started this thread, not only for myself, but for others who might have a question, but are embarrassed to ask...simply because they do not know, but feel that they should know, to fit in on a firearms forum.
Don't be embarrassed, or hesitate to ask the most basic of questions.....I, personally, will start;
What is the main outstanding difference between the .22 caliber and 223. I do believe they measure the same, but probably have different characteristics, such as distance accuracy... :?:
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: Don't be embarrassed to ask!

Post by GunnyGene » Sun May 02, 2021 8:28 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:42 pm
I have been a firearms enthusiast mostly all of my life. I am in no way an expert on all aspects of firearms. Not even the ones that I own. Luckily, we are fortunate to have members here that are very knowledgable, such as NCG and others.
I started this thread, not only for myself, but for others who might have a question, but are embarrassed to ask...simply because they do not know, but feel that they should know, to fit in on a firearms forum.
Don't be embarrassed, or hesitate to ask the most basic of questions.....I, personally, will start;
What is the main outstanding difference between the .22 caliber and 223. I do believe they measure the same, but probably have different characteristics, such as distance accuracy... :?:
If you're just talking about the projectile my opinion is the Ballistic Coefficients. .223 (and 5.56) G1 BC is approx double to triple that of the .22lr or wmr. That (BC) will vary depending on the specific bullet. .22 is generally around .110, while .223 is up around .295 or higher.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun May 02, 2021 8:39 pm

Thank you Gunny...starting to understand. Was wondering, because I was looking at .22 ammo online from one of the ammo suppliers and the spec for .22LR was 223. Diam. 🤔
I realize that the 22LR is straight walled ammo, and the .223 is bottle neck...hence more powder I guess. Guessing that contributes to distance and accuracy.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun May 02, 2021 9:01 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 8:39 pm
Thank you Gunny...starting to understand. Was wondering, because I was looking at .22 ammo online from one of the ammo suppliers and the spec for .22LR was 223. Diam. 🤔
I realize that the 22LR is straight walled ammo, and the .223 is bottle neck...hence more powder I guess. Guessing that contributes to distance and accuracy.
Take a look at the Hornady specs for .223/5.56 and compare that to .22lr or wmr. You'll notice there is a lot of BC difference even between bullets of the same caliber. This is because of the different weights and aerodynamics of the specific projectiles. And of course the cartridge powder load of the .223 family gives a much higher MV. These and other differences determine the design of the barrel (twist, etc.) to get the most out of the projectile in terms of accuracy, precision, effective range, trajectory, and so on. BTW, an M-16 has an effective range of 500yds+.

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/#!/
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun May 02, 2021 9:22 pm

Thank you very much Gunny! You have shed much light on this for me.
Part of why I asked, is that I have some interest in building an AR 15. I have the mil spec reciever that was given to me by a friend, and think, I want to go 223.
Then again, I do have a lot of 7.62 x 39 ammo for the SKS that I own. Hand me down from deceased BIL.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun May 02, 2021 9:51 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 9:22 pm
Thank you very much Gunny! You have shed much light on this for me.
Part of why I asked, is that I have some interest in building an AR 15. I have the mil spec reciever that was given to me by a friend, and think, I want to go 223.
Then again, I do have a lot of 7.62 x 39 ammo for the SKS that I own. Hand me down from deceased BIL.
You might enjoy the Sniper101 series of videos. Goes into considerable depth on ballistics, etc. His focus is on extreme long range but quite a lot of the info he presents applies to any rifle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwG-D0H ... vDCIcEPxUn
0 x

runnin n gunnin
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by runnin n gunnin » Sun May 02, 2021 11:18 pm

Hey markiver54, that's what I like about the forum and folks like you, Ranch roper, Gunny, Vaquero, 40 shooter, Rifletom, Big Al, Colefisher, Shakey Jake, JEbar, Mistered, BrokenOMarine, and many more.

These are quality, stand up folks that check their ego at the door and step up to share knowledge, and learn as well.

That is what makes this forum what it is. No egos or know it all's, just sharing information. Huh, maybe a lesson the younger generation could learn from.
5 x
I stand for the flag, and kneel for my fallen brothers.

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Sun May 02, 2021 11:54 pm

r-n-g, if we ever hook up, I'm gonna buy you a beer and a burger! That was pretty spot on. I liked that post.
2 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Mon May 03, 2021 1:49 am

.223/5.56 have a different ballistic coefficient, which will affect how much speed is lost in a given distance. They also have a muzzle velocity almost three times that of .22lr. Both of these were touched on in previous posts. As well, they normally have heavier bullets than .22lr.

Think about the muzzle velocity for a moment. CCI mini mags have a 36 grain bullet and a MV of 1260 fps. American Eagle .223 has a 55 grain bullet and a muzzle velocity of 3240 fps. We get all excited about .357 magnum having 1240 fps vs 899 fps from the same weight bullet in .38 spcl.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Mon May 03, 2021 5:05 am

Question #2

I read that you shouldn't shoot 5.56 in a .223 but you can safely shoot .223 in a 5.56 .. is that a pressure difference thing? I have a bull barrel .223. Can you shoot 5.56 in that? Or is it a chamber/head space thing or ???
And, i suppose i meant to ask could you do it safely, as of course, a person can try nearly anything... but, if its a mistake, you will crash and burn.... not interested in mad science experiments....
0 x