Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Tick Bites in Wisconsin

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Tick Bites in Wisconsin

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:47 am

I’ve found several ticks on me in the last week and after finding one in my belly button started a new procedure for coming in the house. First I strip bare naked outside and do a quick self examination. Then I put my clothes directly into the washing machine. Then I shower and do a complete examination. They can be anywhere and by anywhere I mean literally anywhere.

I’m also spraying myself with deet when I go outside. Ticks with Lyme disease are a real problem here.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Tick Bites in Wisconsin

Post by daytime dave » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:38 am

Here too. I try to stay out of the weeds and woods this time of year.
Mary had two on her back in early spring. We got them early and her doctor said it looked ok as she prescribed something.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:39 am

Took the dog for a hike on my trail yesterday. It’s very grown up and needs to be mowed. Wore long pants, tall socks and a long sleeve shirt. Of course the dog goes where he pleases but he’s treated with Frontline tick repellent that kills ticks if they attach. He was at the groomers several days ago and while they found no ticks on our dog the groomers told us they are seeing lots on other dogs.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:41 am

Lyme Disease can be devastating. It got it's name from the town in CT where it was first identified; about ten miles from my house.

I have a seven year old indoor cat that we adopted from the CT Humane Society when she was just 3 mos old. She's never felt the earth beneath her feet, but I treat her monthly with Revolution (a flea, tick, and heartworm medication) because -- while she may not go outside -- I do.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

graywolf
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by graywolf » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:03 am

Ticks and red bugs (chiggers). Almost a daily thing around here. Always had to check the kids at night. I've never known anyone to get sick or have to see a doctor, but I've seen dogs get down and paralyzed from a tick. One tick on a dog in the right places, can get a dog down.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:05 am

graywolf wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:03 am
Ticks and red bugs (chiggers). Almost a daily thing around here. Always had to check the kids at night. I've never known anyone to get sick or have to see a doctor, but I've seen dogs get down and paralyzed from a tick. One tick on a dog in the right places, can get a dog down.
My neighbor has Chronic Lyme Disease and it’s not fun.
0 x

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:11 am

I fight Ticks and Chiggers yearly in season. Chiggers won't hurt you, but itch like the devil. Most Ticks will itch as a warning sign that you have been bitten, around here anyway. Any time I have that certain itch, I'm checking on it. Most of the time it's nothing, but every once in a while it's there. Whenever working in the woods or un-mowed grass, I "suit up". I have special treated socks, spray #40 Deet at the bottom of my pant legs and tuck them into my high lased boots. This usually works pretty good. Years ago when not worrying about them, I would get bit 30-35 times a year. Being cautious like I do now has dropped to about 10-15. So far this year, it's been 8. The other good thing is they say if you pull them off within 24 to 48 hours, there is usually no problem. Although some experts dis-agree, Tick season is basically over in mid-July, around here anyway. But I believe different regions have different Ticks, different seasons and different problems.

Weather seems like it also makes a difference. I have learned that the heat will draw them out. Cool, cloudy days seem to be less of a problem. I avoid certain places in high heat.
0 x
NRA Member

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:29 am

Cowboy Gun Fan wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:11 am
I fight Ticks and Chiggers yearly in season. Chiggers won't hurt you, but itch like the devil. Most Ticks will itch as a warning sign that you have been bitten, around here anyway. Any time I have that certain itch, I'm checking on it. Most of the time it's nothing, but every once in a while it's there. Whenever working in the woods or un-mowed grass, I "suit up". I have special treated socks, spray #40 Deet at the bottom of my pant legs and tuck them into my high lased boots. This usually works pretty good. Years ago when not worrying about them, I would get bit 30-35 times a year. Being cautious like I do now has dropped to about 10-15. So far this year, it's been 8. The other good thing is they say if you pull them off within 24 to 48 hours, there is usually no problem. Although some experts dis-agree, Tick season is basically over in mid-July, around here anyway. But I believe different regions have different Ticks, different seasons and different problems.

Weather seems like it also makes a difference. I have learned that the heat will draw them out. Cool, cloudy days seem to be less of a problem. I avoid certain places in high heat.
Here ticks aren’t active when it’s cooler but the mosquitoes come out. When it’s to hot for mosquitoes the ticks are active.
1 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:53 pm

Yep I have a pair of these mesh stockings that you put on and they go all the way up and prevent ticks from latching on.Tuck my pants legs into my socks and my clothes and boots are sprayed down with Sawyers spray which kills ticks on contact. Treatment last about a month or so and seems to work. Now I have to watch out for fire ants too!
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:38 pm

fortyshooter wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:53 pm
Yep I have a pair of these mesh stockings that you put on and they go all the way up and prevent ticks from latching on.Tuck my pants legs into my socks and my clothes and boots are sprayed down with Sawyers spray which kills ticks on contact. Treatment last about a month or so and seems to work. Now I have to watch out for fire ants too!
Thanks. I just ordered some Sawyers. Never heard of it before.
0 x