Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

For the diabetics and caregivers

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
clovishound
Drover
United States of America

For the diabetics and caregivers

Post by clovishound » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:16 pm

Well, Abbot has released a new version of their Libre CGMs. It is the Libre 3 and they are currently at pharmacies.

For those of you not familiar with CGMs, they are constant glucose monitors. These are sensors that you apply to the back of the arm and they continously monitor glucose levels without the need to stick your fingers. They also give graphs and reports on glucose levels without the need for constant testing and data compilation.

My wife has been using the Libre 14 day for the last year. Each sensor lasts 14 days and you have to use either a dedicated reader, or a smartphone with the app to read the sensor. That just involves putting the reader or phone up to the sensor and it will transmit the current glucose reading and a graph of the last 8 hours of levels. This has been a real asset in the regulation of her glucose levels. We can read her level anytime without worrying about sticking her fingers many multiple times a day. It also give us a history of the last 8 hours prior to a reading, which is extremely useful.

The newer Libre 3 uses bluetooth and will automatically transmit to the phone once a minute, as long as the app is running and the phone is in the bluetooth area. It can be set up to trigger an alarm for low or high events. It has a significantly smaller profile sensor and is currently the same price. It is supposed to be more accurate than the 14 day. This model is not compatible with insulin pumps.

I just put the first sensor on a little while ago, activated it, and am waiting the hour for it to start transmitting. I will post our experience with it over the next few days.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: For the diabetics and caregivers

Post by fortyshooter » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:36 pm

Will be watching your results and thanks for posting! Since my wife got on track of keeping all sugars and carbs down her numbers are much better but with some spikes over night during a morning check. Down in the 113 area today which is much better than the 200 range before. She is on a medication and not insulin.
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:57 pm

I've been using the Libre 14 day since it came out but lately I've not been happy with it's accuracy, too many times it has said I was very low and when I would do a finger stick it would say I was in the low to mid 100's. Wanted to change to the Dexcom system but Medicare required a new reader and they would only pay for one every 5 years. I was able to change from standard Medicare with supplemental health insurance to a much cheaper Medicare Advantage this year because of the new Medicare insulin coverage and found out Medicare Advantage will pay for a new reader every year if needed and also I can get them from my local pharmacy instead of having to get them through a mail order place.

Now I just have to wait a couple of weeks for my Libre sensor supply to run out. Have to decide if I want the Dexcom G6 or G7. Both are covered and there are some advantage to both systems. The G7 sensor is smaller but not compatible with a insulin pump which I'm hesitant to go to but I know my diabetes doctor would like me to start using. Also they want you to put the G7 sensors on the back of your upper arm like the Libre sensors and I often will catch it on something and have it come off.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:08 pm

Well, the hour is up and I got a signal loss error. I'm going to wait until tomorrow morning and if it still has the error, install a new sensor. If that's the case, I will have to call Abbott and get them to send a replacement sensor.

Dave, have you tried a sensor cover for your sensors. They make them specifically for the different model sensors. I just buy the 2.36 " x 2.75" transparent dressing at Walmart and cut a small hole in the center. I understand it is important not to block the vent in the sensor. It really helps keep the sensors from coming off early.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:10 pm

fortyshooter wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:36 pm
Will be watching your results and thanks for posting! Since my wife got on track of keeping all sugars and carbs down her numbers are much better but with some spikes over night during a morning check. Down in the 113 area today which is much better than the 200 range before. She is on a medication and not insulin.
That's the hard part of being diabetic for me, most of the food I really like has too many carbs. I'm able to cheat a little as I adjust my fast acting insulin dose according to the grams of carbs I eat but can't get carried away. Should limit my meal carbs to 40 grams but I'm often closer to 60.

Heard of a doctor that was able to get almost all of her patients completely off insulin. They were allowed 20 grams of carbs a day, that's 1 slice of bread.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:23 pm

My wife is almost completely off the long acting insulin. She has been very good with diet, with the occasional splurge on rice. As long as it's only occasional, and her blood sugar isn't too high, I'm OK with that. She has lost a lot of weight in the last year, which helps as well. If necessary, the doc can adjust her metformin as she is not at the max at this point. The big difference in her blood sugar control was when they started her on metformin. The fast acting insulin really didn't bring it down where it needed to be.
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:30 pm

clovishound wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:08 pm
Well, the hour is up and I got a signal loss error. I'm going to wait until tomorrow morning and if it still has the error, install a new sensor. If that's the case, I will have to call Abbott and get them to send a replacement sensor.

Dave, have you tried a sensor cover for your sensors. They make them specifically for the different model sensors. I just buy the 2.36 " x 2.75" transparent dressing at Walmart and cut a small hole in the center. I understand it is important not to block the vent in the sensor. It really helps keep the sensors from coming off early.
That's another issue I have with Abbot, they originally would send you a new sensor to replace a defective one but then they started sending a voucher for a replacement. The mail order place would not accept the voucher and since I didn't get them from a pharmacy they wouldn't take it either. I've heard Dexcom still sends a new sensor.

I tried a couple different sensor covers but the problem is I'm single and it's difficult to apply them on the back of my arm with one hand. And then if the cover started to come off before the 14 days was up I would have to have a friend help me as it's impossible for me to get the cover off without also removing the sensor. They have seemed to improve the adhesive as I haven't had them come off on their own lately, just when I catch a edge going through a door or not being careful taking off my T-shirt. That's why I'm leaning toward the G6, it goes on your abdomen so will have both hands to apply or remove a cover.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:33 pm

Well, it started working on the Pup's phone. It still won't read on mine. At least it's working.
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:44 pm

clovishound wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:23 pm
My wife is almost completely off the long acting insulin. She has been very good with diet, with the occasional splurge on rice. As long as it's only occasional, and her blood sugar isn't too high, I'm OK with that. She has lost a lot of weight in the last year, which helps as well. If necessary, the doc can adjust her metformin as she is not at the max at this point. The big difference in her blood sugar control was when they started her on metformin. The fast acting insulin really didn't bring it down where it needed to be.
I believe that's what insulin resistance is and why it's better to keep your blood sugar down mostly with your diet. When I started using fast acting insulin my dosage was 1/2 unit per gram of carbs, now it's 1 unit to a gram and sometimes I have to take a little more to get down to an acceptable level and I'm still taking a fairly large dose of long acting insulin.

My A1C's are not terrible but I need to get them down a little lower. I was in the low 8's but my last two were 7.1 and 7.3. Need to get below 7.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:38 am

Doc was very happy with her A1C the last couple of visits. It was sky high last year when she was diagnosed. My understanding is that Metformin decreases the amount of sugar the liver produces and the amount the intestines absorb from your food.

After a little research online, it appears you can't have the sensor feed two phones at once. I need to get it switched over to my phone. Tried a couple things last night, but couldn't get data on my phone. I'll play with it a little today and call Abbott if I need to. Probably shouldn't have scanned the Pup's phone after activating it with mine. That worked with the 14 day, but may be an issue with the 3.
0 x