Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Treed by coyotes

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Treed by coyotes

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:14 pm

Both VA and OK classify them as varmints, no permit needed on the farm for varmints, and no seasons, as long as you don't plan to sell the hides.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:18 am

Here they are an invasive species. DNR is practically begging hunters to take them, along with the feral hogs.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:39 am

Feral hogs are invasive in OK too, we are just lucky in our immediate area. Just a few miles away, they are dealing with their destructive nature.
0 x

Oldbrass
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Oldbrass » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:36 am

South Carolina classifies them as invasive species, encourage land owners to eradicate. no license no bag limit day or night, if given the opportunity I'll perform my civic duty
0 x
30-30, Helping bad fisherman eat since 1895

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:44 am

The only restriction at night here, (For Coyotes,) is that you can only use a shotgun, and no shot larger than #4. but, no restrictions on HOGS, so the wardens have been pushing to remove the restrictions on night shooting Coyotes as long as the farmers / hunters shoot responsibly like they do with hogs. I have the Shotgun set up with a Red Dog and a Mounted Light, and a Long Slide Glock 35 set up with a light. Coyotes prowling the Coop or the Barn will get greeted. (We have a Cow ready to drop a new calf any day.) A neighbor had a young heifer killed by a pack of coyotes last month while she was lying down cleaning her freshly dropped calf. The coyotes then dragged off the newborn.
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:18 pm

I frequently hear coyotes up the road but never see them around my property. I've almost always had goats but they've never bothered them, maybe they are deterred by the electric fence. Also when I had pygmy goats they were with my horse and I don't know if coyotes would take on a full grown horse.
1 x

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:30 pm

I was up at my friend's diesel shop this afternoon and a guy I know who shoots scores of coyotes every Winter
stopped in. He said that folks have been seeing a sow bear with a cub around our lake and wondered if I had
seen her. I have not but they did tear down my bird feeders last Fall. Also neighbors have been seeing a wolf
lately.
He gathers road kills which he puts in the field behind his house and then shoot the yotes out his kitchen window. :o
1 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

graywolf
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by graywolf » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:08 am

Don’t even say feral hogs to loud. Fortunately, I haven’t had them yet. They close, but no problems yet. I’ve had coyotes watch me cutting grass from the woods line. Sometimes one or two will step out, then go back in woods. I don’t usually cut close to the woods late in afternoon. I don’t think they would do anything, but why give them a chance.
1 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:38 pm

graywolf wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:08 am
Don’t even say feral hogs to loud. Fortunately, I haven’t had them yet. They close, but no problems yet. I’ve had coyotes watch me cutting grass from the woods line. Sometimes one or two will step out, then go back in woods. I don’t usually cut close to the woods late in afternoon. I don’t think they would do anything, but why give them a chance.
Back when we cows and I cut hay I usually had the Ruger Single-six, and all the years I only had one opportunity at one.
Large field with a small grove of trees up on one end of the field, with a fence row 60-70 yds away on one side.
As I was coming around the south end there was one that came out of the grove headed towards the fence.
But I barely cleared leather :lol: by the time it was gone. ;)

They just aren't that bold right around here, not yet anyway.
I did take a shot at one trotting across a field the other day with the 41 BBS, pretty sure I shot over the blame thing. :oops:

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012