Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Miss Tina's Forth of July Quilt

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Miss Tina's Forth of July Quilt

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:49 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:26 pm
I have a neighbor friend who has her whole basement set up with quilting machines. She belongs to a local club and they are very active and she travels to quilting shows in the area. Not sure what she actually sells, but she quilts for the love of it, same as I bike and shoot and play music out of love. As a friend once told me, the quickest way to kill a hobby is to try to make money from it.
I fully agree. I have shared exactly this sentiment before. When I was teaching firearms, the private classes were never about the money. I turned down about 80% of prospective students, sending them to other instructors.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:47 am

graywolf wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:51 pm
I showed my wife the pictures. She’s never quilted on anything like that but said are really nice. They used to have quilting bees here. The women would take turns quilting at each other’s houses. All hand made. Sadly though, my wife is last one, and misses all family and friends that used to quilt. She hasn’t made one in a long time. Post a picture of her quilts all along so I can show her. She knows how much time and work your wife puts in making them.
Here are a few more of the quilts. Some are complete, most are in progress pics so you can see the work involved. She has a special cloth thingee that hangs on the wall, where she can press the pieces in place to lay out the pattern. Then she pins the various pieces together to form to quilt. She'll pull pieces down and sew the blocks together to form bigger blocks, then sew the bigger blocks or strips together depending on the design. Eventually she ends up with the quilt, and it goes on the quilting machine. Before that, it was sewn together on the machine or sent out to the woman as noted above.

quilt 2.jpg
quilt 2.jpg (167.4 KiB) Viewed 209 times
quilt 6.jpg
quilt 6.jpg (143.07 KiB) Viewed 209 times
quilt 8.jpg
quilt 8.jpg (179.47 KiB) Viewed 209 times
butterfly quilt 2206.jpg
butterfly quilt 2206.jpg (134.88 KiB) Viewed 209 times

I have some others, but you can see the amount of work that goes into them. Some take her a couple weeks, others much longer. Often she sews the boarders on after quilting by hand, she likes the look of that type of boarder and it can't be machine sewn.
0 x

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:24 am

Those are very nice indeed. When I was younger my Mother and her Ladies Aid at the Church
would hold quilting bees and donate the money they made to veteran's charities. They made
some very nice quilts. I used to purchase for or five a year and give them as wedding gifts,
ect. City folks treasured them but country folks just took them for granted. We still have
one or two here at the house that we use from time to time.
0 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:14 am

Tina made me several, one stays with my recliner as poor circulation keeps my legs cold when sitting. The other travels with the wheelchair, as many buildings are kept way too cold. One stays in each truck for the same reason. She has quilted and crocheted for most of the family.

One of our paras in the veterans charity saw the chair blanket and admired it, so... Then his buddy saw his and... :D

She made a heavy quilt for my dad after his brain cancer surgery years ago, because he claimed he could never get warm. My step mom says half the time you could only see his bald dome peeking out the top. She enjoys making them, and they bring joy and comfort... The classic win/win.
2 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:17 am

I have to say that there sure is a lot of craftsmanship in your home. Very nice.

My cousin’s wife was very active in quilting with a group of ladies. Sadly she passed from cancer way too soon. At her service there was a nice display of her quilts. A very nice tribute to her.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:31 am

I'm sorry for your loss. Although Miss T and I are far from wealthy, I worked hard, and we can pay our way, for which I'm grateful. We don't sell the things we make often, though we have been known to barter. :D We believe in paying it forward. I remember a number of times in my life when friends held out a hand to help or offered kind words at just the right time. We have tried to do the same. "Thought you could use this," could be the nicest thing ever said. Whether the words accompany a bottle of cold water, or a desperately needed hug. ;)
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:07 am

My wife used to be into quilting. Boxes and boxes of quilt blocks. Even went to a couple quilting conventions. She spent a whole lot of time and money and energy on quilting.

Total number of finished quilts after several years in the hobby.

I never complained. I have my own hobbies and output from the hobby is not a major consideration. I played around with woodworking hand tools for years. Going to flea markets, forging a closer relationship with my brother, rehabbing lots of old tools, some over 100 years old.

I never made a whole lot with those tools, but I had fun, and still have most of them in my shop. A rather old, large chisel came in real handy when the guy was installing the new shower base a couple months ago. The studs needed a little taken off in a couple spots. I went to the shop and brought back a monster chisel (a slick) which made short work of removing some wood in a corner. I didn't even complain that he ran it through a nail. I'll have to spend some time getting that huge nick honed out, but the shower got installed for my wife.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

graywolf
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by graywolf » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:00 pm

The time and work involved, you have to love doing it. The quilts my wife and her mom made were mostly for special occasions, like births, bridal showers. Most wouldn’t use them. Put in cedar chest and save. Show them off thru the years. Each pattern had a name.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:52 pm

clovishound wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:07 am
My wife used to be into quilting. Boxes and boxes of quilt blocks. Even went to a couple quilting conventions. She spent a whole lot of time and money and energy on quilting.

Total number of finished quilts after several years in the hobby.

I never complained. I have my own hobbies and output from the hobby is not a major consideration. I played around with woodworking hand tools for years. Going to flea markets, forging a closer relationship with my brother, rehabbing lots of old tools, some over 100 years old.

I never made a whole lot with those tools, but I had fun, and still have most of them in my shop. A rather old, large chisel came in real handy when the guy was installing the new shower base a couple months ago. The studs needed a little taken off in a couple spots. I went to the shop and brought back a monster chisel (a slick) which made short work of removing some wood in a corner. I didn't even complain that he ran it through a nail. I'll have to spend some time getting that huge nick honed out, but the shower got installed for my wife.
Shortly after we moved here, we met an older gentleman, well into his 80s. He was moving a hutch onto a trailer in front of his house and Tina wanted to stop and see if it was for sale. HE was actually taking it to the dump. We bought it. I repaired the water damaged bottom and removed the doors, remade the shelves and refinished a few things here and there and Tina painted it. It stands in her She Shed to this day. She stores all kinds of things in the cabinet. We invited the old fella over to see the transformation and had a friendship with him since.

hutch comp.jpg
hutch comp.jpg (62.53 KiB) Viewed 188 times

He admired the work that Tina had done over the first six months in the new sewing shop, and asked if she would be interested in a bunch of material and stuff his wife had left behind when she passed. He would make her a fair price on the collection. She went over to look. He had FIFTY rubbermaid tubs of material, crotchet needles, threads, yarn, etc. In one tub, lovingly packaged in ziploc gallon bags, were the blocks for a large quilt. "For my daughter," he said. She never got to make it.

Tina went thru the tubs and tossed what was dry rotted from the heat in the metal storage building, sorted the things for him to take to yard sale / flea markets and made an offer on the things that she and my daughter could use. He asked if she would be interested in turning those blocks into a quilt so he could give it to his daughter for Christmas that year... from her mother. They bought the various things needed, deciding on colors and styles for the border and backing, and she put it together, quilted it, and he had a quilt for the daughter in time for Christmas.

I didn't know I was up to bat next. I ended up making a shadowbox to display his original little league uniform he wore for an entire season, complete with the stockings. It was to be a gift for his son, a huge baseball fan. It turned out very well. Interesting projects both, and the look in his eyes when he saw them, was worth all the work. I put together the shadowbox from oak, with a plexiglass front with a thick foam background. He wanted the Uniform Jersey, pants and Stockings displayed as shown. Tina embroidered his name and number on the background, since you couldn't see the back of his shirt in the display.

finally finished.jpg
finally finished.jpg (176.58 KiB) Viewed 188 times

Both kids were thrilled.
2 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:04 pm

Marine, please tell Tina her quilts are beautiful. Her prices are extremely reasonable.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member