Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Started on the Berm - Sorta

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Started on the Berm - Sorta

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:45 am

If y'all remember, about three months ago, I started on the berm for the range by purchasing 48 railroad ties. I was really happy, until I tripped, fell backwards, and tried to break my fall by extending my left arm. I didn't really break my fall all that well, but I did a good job of breaking my left wrist in two places, and doing severe nerve damage to my left hand. :? My Wife was really worried. She said, "Get up, Dumba$$." :lol:

not supposed to curve.jpg
not supposed to curve.jpg (115.58 KiB) Viewed 521 times

The wrist is pretty much healed. The hand? Not so much. Still can't make a fist, and put pressure on the fingers or thumb the wrong way and pain shoots up my arm to the shoulder. :evil: But, I am tired of sitting in the house and counting the pattern in the wallpaper. Especially since the walls are painted. :? So, I fired up the tractor and put the horse in the stall, and attacked the dirt pile left from installing the new tornado shelter.

berm dirt 1.jpg
berm dirt 1.jpg (311.02 KiB) Viewed 521 times

The goal was to move the dirt from it's current location behind the shelter to an area ON the range, about 20 to 30 feet in front of the prospective location of the wall formed by the railroad ties when they are placed to form the C shaped holding structure for the dirt berm. Once that is built, the dirt will be moved into place inside the C and additional dirt will be added forming a nice protective berm for my 100 yard range. A few hours work, driving buckets of dirt to the new location, and ...

berm dirt 3.jpg
berm dirt 3.jpg (364.05 KiB) Viewed 521 times

If you look OVER the dirt pile, you can look UP range and see the range house about 90 yards away. With the 100 degree plus heat, I thought carefully about this location and laid out my range in a shaded location. It's a good 20 to 30 degrees cooler in the shade here. I am NOT shooting competition here, and the targets can be placed in lighted patches if need be.

The post move pic shows the greatly reduced pile. I would have moved the last of the dirt into the final couple buckets with a shovel in my younger days, or even before the fall. ONE handed old gimps don't do shovels. I will make a later attempt to scrape and collect a bucket or two more, then spread the rest across the yard. The fall rains will do the rest.

berm dirt 2.jpg
berm dirt 2.jpg (247.75 KiB) Viewed 521 times

The pallet forks should allow us to start on the berm wall in the near future. I hope to use the pallet forks to drive rebar spikes thru the RR Ties as anchors. Wish me luck.

06 the ties.jpg
06 the ties.jpg (379.23 KiB) Viewed 521 times
4 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Started on the Berm - Sorta

Post by JEBar » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:19 am

great to hear you are on the way back .... looks like you are undertaking one heck of a project .... looking forward to following your progress
0 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:25 am

Good to hear you are able to get started. Just don’t pull another dumb ass stunt.
Looking forward to seeing your progress on the range.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:26 am

RetiredSeabee wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:25 am
Good to hear you are able to get started. Just don’t pull another dumb ass stunt.
Looking forward to seeing your progress on the range.
What, no gymnastics off the tractor when exiting. I thought a backflip. I was good on the trampoline in high school gym. :D That was just fifty years and 150 pounds ago. :?

Oh, wait. Good advice. :lol:
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:27 am

That looks like a very impressive range in the making. If I were closer, I'd be glad to give you a hand.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:09 am

I'm lucky enough to have a neighbor who will help when I'm ready. We went over the other night and helped them transfer some cows from their east pasture to their west. Funny, my utv makes a nice cutting horse. :D
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:50 pm

Nice berm. Sounds like you may have had a touch of cabin fever after your layup. I am heeding caution and trying to be careful.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:15 pm

BM your range is taking shape nicely! Looks like you have a good collection of materials and be careful as that is some heavy work with those ties.
Where did you find that large supple of railroad ties? There is a hardware store in the county that sells them here but they are expensive.
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:16 pm

BM, range work is looking good. Just take care of that wrist/hand problem. Do like your whole set-up.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:01 pm

I wishing all the luck you need. Great to have a neighbor that will assist you. I also have a great neighbor who watches our house when we are gone for the winter.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55