Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

O/U Shotgun Search Concluded

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

O/U Shotgun Search Concluded

Post by ESquared » Sat May 25, 2019 3:45 pm

My long-gun hobby is taking a new turn, as I've recently taken delivery of a ca. 1968 Japanese-made (Kodensha) WInchester 101 Trap Over/Under. 30" barrels, Fixed chokes, both @ Full. Monte Carlo comb (but fixed). Knew I was going to have to have it fitted, so that's what's been going on for the past couple of weeks. Found a great fitter/gunsmith here in town and he sent me home to practice hundreds of "mounts" before he could/would figure out what it needed.

Not a big fan of the Graco "fixture", but it's a shooter, not a safe queen, so I'd rather have one that fits me.

Hard to believe it's a 51 year-old, as the finish is pretty pristine, except for the little surface scratches on the left side of the buttstock, which the fitter properly identified as "belt buckle" scratches. Otherwise, from the breech to the bluing to the mechanics, it's very solid.

While I wait for the rains to stop, it's more mounting practice in front of the mirror! Come Wednesday or so, it's off to the trap range.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
8 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: O/U Shotgun Search Concluded

Post by Ojaileveraction » Sat May 25, 2019 3:50 pm

Haven't caught the shotgunning affliction yet.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat May 25, 2019 5:46 pm

interesting .... I'd love to know more about the butt plate .... any plans to have it fitted for choke tubes .. :?: .. if so, Carlson does a good job
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat May 25, 2019 5:56 pm

It's a Graco bolt-on piece. Has to be shaped to fit the stock, but then is adjustable in a number of ways. He set it up based on watching me and the shape of my shoulder and the "pocket" and didn't change a thing when I picked it up. May need to tweak it once I get it into action, but much better than the 51 year old original equipment. I needed about another full inch of LOP.

https://graco-corp.com/product/575s/
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat May 25, 2019 6:03 pm

fascinating .... over time I've seen a few mounted on shotguns but really don't know anything about them ... info appreciated
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat May 25, 2019 7:22 pm

Beautiful wood on your O/U; especially the forend.
Doesn't show itself to be anywhere near 51 years old!

You must be a happy camper with this acquisition, ESquared.
Congrats. :)
1 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat May 25, 2019 7:32 pm

Good for you, Evan. You have entered the world of serious O/Us with that one. Those old Winchester 101s were great shotguns, often compared to the Browning Superposed which was considered the cream of the crop in O/Us in its day.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun May 26, 2019 6:44 am

Very nice. I thought about getting into trap/skeet again. I shot a bit in the Corps... But it can be addictive. I already have woodworking, flyfishing, handguns... And bilateral shoulder issues... So nah. ;) I do love a good shotgun though. I carried several over the years.

That one is beautiful.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sun May 26, 2019 9:04 am

Thanks, all, for you nice feedback. PT got me trying to figure out what kind of wood they used back in those days, and, with Bob's help, it looks like it's some sort of white oak.

Given when and where it was made, and the sort of unusual "speckling" that appears in the grain, I began researching "Japanese White Oak," which turns out to be an actual variant. Here's a pic I found of a sample of it in its unfinished state, so it's tough to tell for sure, since this s/g is 50+ years old and stained/varnished, but it's close.

The other interesting thing that Japanese White Oak Google searches turn up is that it's a very popular wood these days for making Drum Sticks!

https://www.amazon.com/PROMARK-6-Pair-J ... 167&sr=8-7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun May 26, 2019 9:44 am

CONGRATULATIONS Evan! Glad to see you made a decision..and what a beauty!!
I'm sure that will earn a lot of respect at the range. :D
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry