Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Over Under Noob

Cleveraction
Wrangler
United States of America

Over Under Noob

Post by Cleveraction » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:17 pm

Hi all! Last spring I picked up a shotgun (Affinity 3 12 ga.) and have been very happy with it. I was at a charity event and noticed a lot of the guys on skeet were shooting O/U guns. I have a dove hunt coming up and am thinking of branching out... into the O/U world. I could stick with the semi-auto and pick up a Montefeltro in 20 ga for about 1100, but would like to think about a more traditional sporting shotgun.

First off, I think a 20 ga. would suit the job (dove and clays) but would listen to other ideas if I am on the wrong track.

I don't want to spend a mint, but don't want junk either. This started when I saw the CZ Teal 16 ga on a blowout for 550 instead of 850. I went in to the store, and (while I am sure it is fine) it just kind of felt like a club. A Stevens around 800 felt OK. The Franchi Instinct I felt great and at 1299 could work. I could go this route: IFG FRSLX600N20 SLX 600 DE LUXE
which would push the budget to 1650 and I haven't been able to find much on IFG.

I understand you get what you pay for, but would like to be 800-1700ish. Any of these inspire comments? The Instinct seems to be in the sweet spot of Italian made/budget/feel, but are there other options I am not thinking of? Do I need to get up around $2k to even get in the game?

I just want something nice for dusting clays with my pals and the inaugural kick off to fall hunting season..the dove hunt.

Looking forward to your replies and thanks in advance.
CA
0 x
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land.
~Aldo Leopold

Cleveraction
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: Over Under Noob

Post by Cleveraction » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:19 pm

Oh, I did see this Browning Citori, but they only list it as "Special Steel" which I think is stamped on all (most?) Browning shotguns. They are asking 1700, but there may be room there. I need to know if it has the chokes, when it was made etc... looks a bit like a Hunter grade I, but the recoil pad is different so this may be older?

I will try to get the serial number and hopefully get more info. Thanks again!
brown.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land.
~Aldo Leopold

Jdl447
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Jdl447 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:42 pm

In my opinion you can’t go wrong with a Browning. I have a Citoti Lightning in 28ga. I bought it new 10 years ago and it came with invector choke tubes improved cylinder modified and full choke. Mine has no recoil pad.

https://www.browning.com/products/firea ... tning.html
0 x
When a clown moves into a palace, he doesn't become a king. The palace becomes a circus.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:47 pm

If it was me, just my .02. I would first decide what caliber and action I feel the most comfortable with. What feels the most controllable and what I think I can be most accurate with. I most certainly would not go spend a large amount of money on a whim.
Spend the money on something you enjoy shooting and feel confident with. O/U, SxS. SA, Pump, Semi Auto...whatever works best for you.

Or buy one of each...Yea, That's it. :lol:
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:53 am

Take a look at stevens 555 and 555e. Made in Turkey and light and fast. Chrome lined barrels, with nice walnut stocks and single selective trigger. Have one in 20 gauge. comes with 5 chokes and built in pad . For $600 you can't beat it. Not a red label but if you scratch it in the woods it's not as painful.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:10 am

Cleveraction wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:17 pm
I just want something nice for dusting clays with my pals and the inaugural kick off to fall hunting season..the dove hunt.

CA
my comment is directed at the type of shotgun, not the brand .... we currently own standard side-by-side as well as over/unders, pumps, and semi-autos .... 12 and 20 gauges ... both dusting clays and (hopefully) dove hunting can involve firing many shells .... even with firing low brass loads, the collective affect of felt recoil from firing a large number of shells can be a major factor .... based on personal experience, there is nothing a 20 ga can do that a 12 ga can't do better, for me it has become a matter of personal preference .... a simple fact is, by design almost all semi-autos have significantly less recoil .... for that reason, when I reach into the gun safe to take out a shotgun, I almost always take an old Remington 11-87 semi-auto
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:03 am

Assuming it fits (the most important feature on a shotgun for me) and the weight is reasonable to carry in the field, the Citori is a sure thing as to reliability - always. It's a Miroku made gun (Japan) and has been around for decades. I've owned a couple and have never had a single issue.

And I've tried to go cheap/going to a lesser brand on an O/U and paid for it in the field. The problem with two barrel guns is that you can only tell so much inspecting one in the store. How it functions means taking it out in the field and shooting and, of course, unlike a semi auto or pump , you cannot take an O/U action apart and work on it. Sure, you may get lucky and get a functioning O/U at a lesser price that shoots to POA, ejects reliably, has a reliably functioning trigger with a reasonable pull - or you may not. No quicker way spoil a hunt than a gun that throws your curve.

And, by the way, I used a Montefeltro 20 for dove hunting and loved it. Could carry it all day and worked with any ammo I fed it. Never a hiccup. Also nice to have more than two shots when the dove action was hot. My bird hunting days are long over, but if I ever decided to get out, again, I'd have no hesitation grabbing a Montefeltro. That's as sure a thing as it gets in a light, easy to carry and point 20 field gun for $1100.
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:46 pm

A friend has and enjoys his Franchi Instinct L in 20ga. It'a very nice looking and handling O/U. What NCG mentions about what you see in the store and what you get in the field CAN be two different things. The Browning's are pretty much a sure thing in the positive.
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:38 pm

I have an older Beretta O/U 12 ga. that I have used for Sporting clays and 2 pheasant hunts.
But if/when I get a chance for dove I'd grab one of the ole 1100's.
I have one in a 20, and 12 ga.

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:03 pm

Plus one on those old 1100s. Loved the ones I had over the years.
1 x