New range toy/HD gun - Update w/Upgrades

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: New range toy/HD gun - Update Range report

Post by GunnyGene » Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:07 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:06 pm
Gunny, just curious if you care to share. How much $ did that set you back?
The TS12 was $1395 out the door at the local AF Base Exchange. The Manticore stuff was $196 (on-line order). I had flip up sights already. Not counting ammo, I'm into this for about $1600.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:20 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:07 pm
markiver54 wrote:
The TS12 was $1395 out the door at the local AF Base Exchange. The Manticore stuff was $196 (on-line order). I had flip up sights already. Not counting ammo, I'm into this for about $1600.
Wow! Thanks Gunny. As I said, was just curious.
Don't think I can justify that.😳
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:38 pm

You're welcome.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:57 am

markiver54 wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:20 pm
GunnyGene wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:07 pm
markiver54 wrote:
Wow! Thanks Gunny. As I said, was just curious.
Don't think I can justify that.😳
In case you ever change your mind, or for anyone else who might buy, or try out, one of these, I'll pass along some safety advise. This gun is not a toy, and deserves the utmost respect.

SAFETY WARNING FOR POTENTIAL OWNERS/USERS!

Because of the way this gun is designed and operates, NEVER ASSUME THERE ISN'T A ROUND IN THE CHAMBER JUST BECAUSE YOU DON'T SEE ANY SHELLS IN THE TUBES WHEN YOU ROTATE THEM. ALL 3 MAGAZINES CAN BE EMPTY AND THERE IS STILL A GOOD CHANCE THAT THERE IS ONE IN THE CHAMBER, OR ONE ON THE LIFTER READY TO GO IN! THE ONLY WAY TO BE SURE IT'S SAFE IS TO FIRE IT DOWN RANGE OR HAUL THAT CHARGING HANDLE BACK WITH AUTHORITY TO OPEN THE BOLT!
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:06 pm

Just tried out the muzzle brake, etc. Good news! With the gas piston set to High for full load slugs and 00, the new butt pad, and the muzzle brake, recoil was substantially reduced. Feels about the same as my .41mag Henry now. Very comfortable. Also wanted to find out if it would consistently cycle low brass Target ammo (Winchester) with these changes, which it did without any problem. BoomchukaBoomchukaBoomchukaBoomchukaBoomchuka. :D
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: New range toy/HD gun

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:46 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:31 pm
Ok, here's the first target from the TS12. Distance approx 25 yds. Shot 5 rounds of each of the below shown ammo, and left the gas piston set to Low. The Brenneke slugs were pretty stout as I expected, and I'll probably set the piston on High for slugs or heavy 00, next time out. 15 rounds wasn't too bad on my 77yo shoulder but I wouldn't want to shoot much more than that in a single session. I'll probably order the better butt pad from IWI.

Everything patterned well, but I need to crank in a couple inches of windage to get it centered based on the slug results. Doesn't make much difference at this short range, but it would matter at longer range, say 50yds or more. Elevation was good.

Ejection: This gun throws them pretty far and a little forward. I could only find 11 empties in the grass, so 4 of them probably disappeared in one of the stump holes that were near, never to be seen again.

There were no functional problems at all. Everything worked perfectly, even the low power target load (1200 fps, which is a little under the recommended 1250).

All in all, I had a good time.Weather was perfect T-shirt conditions. :D

This is the small (about 3/4 full size) silhouette.

Enjoy counting the holes. ;)

Oh, one other thing. Opened it up to see how dirty it was. It wasn't. Just a little powder residue in the barrel, and minute bit of carbon in the receiver area. Nothing to get excited about, so I'll probably not clean it at all unless it tells me it needs it.
Shoot to wound, good idea he may have info we need. That is a cool Man from Uncle gun.....
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: New range toy/HD gun - Update w/Upgrades

Post by GunnyGene » Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:54 pm

A couple new things. Put a red dot on it since the flip up BUIS weren't working for me. My very first red dot. I think I like it - old dogs, new tricks ;) . Also a decorative bit.

1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:26 pm

Nice!!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

dasmoeturhead
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dasmoeturhead » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:43 pm

Very timely report. Thanks,cuz I've been doing research on the ts12 for a week now, and this afternoon I'm going down to the LGS to check them out. I'm still having a hard time deciding which color, either black, FDE, or OD green.
0 x
I'm a Ship that can't be Salvaged!

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:54 pm

dasmoeturhead wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:43 pm
Very timely report. Thanks,cuz I've been doing research on the ts12 for a week now, and this afternoon I'm going down to the LGS to check them out. I'm still having a hard time deciding which color, either black, FDE, or OD green.
I didn't have a choice of color, but I'd have gotten black anyway. :) You're gonna want about $200 or more in ammo just to break it in. Mine's settled in now, and cycles reliably with anything that meets the minimum weight/muzzle velocity (1250fps, 1 1/8oz). Slugs are going to leave tracks in the bore, doesn't hurt anything but are ugly. I just run a mop with Hoppes bore cleaner thru when it gets too bad. The other things to keep an eye on are the gas piston and the screw in choke. I put a tiny dot of blue loctite on the choke threads, and it hasn't backed out yet, so I'm good I think. The gas piston get's nasty in a hurry so you should clean it after every session just to be safe - it's easy to do.

PS: Make sure you get the "B" model, IWI fixed the problems they had with cycling on the first model. It will say TS-12B on the box.

0 x