Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Coyote Medicine

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Coyote Medicine

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:45 am

As we have discussed on the forum several times, we have had a huge problem with coyotes here on the farm. It's legal to shoot them year round, no permit required, day or night. However, at night, you must use a shotgun... shot no larger than number 4. I ordered a lighted fore end for the Shockwave. It arrived yesterday, and I installed it. It's 1000 lumens and looks like the perfect mate to do the job. Matched with the red dot sight, we should handle the yotes we run across checking the barns and coop for night raiders. The Ruger American with the Vector Scope will handle the day raiders.

Here is the Shockwave before the mod:

shockwave before c.jpg

This is the Streamlight TL Tracker forend. Installation simply required removal of the barrel and the retaining nut for the fore end. This required a special spanner wrench, not included, but was noted in the ad, and mentioned in the various videos I watched. I ordered IT on amazon as well. Quick and easy install.

streamlight fore end c.jpg

Here is the fore end installed. The long logo across the top of the fore end is the on/off switch. Quick touch is momentary flash of light. Hard push is full on/full off. BRIGHT.
Note the red dot on the top of the shockwave. I added the single loop sling, which makes aiming easy. Push out against the properly adjusted sling, and it's like you have a full stocked shotgun.

light mounted c.jpg

View from the Muzzle. Two CR123A batteries are inserted from the back of the fore end using a penny as a tool to open the cover. Easy Peasy.

muzzle view c.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Coyote Medicine

Post by markiver54 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:14 am

Looks great! Look out Coyotes!! 😁
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:30 pm

Should also work well for late night alarm response. :twisted:
2 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:04 pm

I'll be waiting to hear a report on this one.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:17 pm

How do you like the red dot on your Shockwave? Was mostly wondering about holding it high enough to see the red dot, my Shockwave is a 12 gauge so it has a fair amount of kick. I did get it with the laser which is accurate at close range and you can hold it at waist height, I haven't really tried shooting at a target further away than around 10 yards. I suppose I should try it at some longer range targets. I didn't think of pushing against the strap, I can see how that would help with the recoil.

I guess I could try the red dot that's on my AR on the Shockwave. I do have a shell holder on it that has a Picatinny rail.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:41 pm

Adjust the sling so that it's tight when you push the shotgun out to your comfort zone at eye level. Use the sling as a pseudo stock, you can even get cheek weld.
Boom....
1 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:12 pm

Nice! I had my 20 ga. Shockwave out last week and found I can shoot it fairly well from the hip just point shooting with Birdshot and #4 shot.
Was fun blowing cans around and even a full size metal trash can. It is the bedside night gun with Stream Light attached.
2 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:46 pm

I've heard good things about Streamlights as far as gun mounted lights go. Thought about one for my EDC, however, as far as a defense weapon goes, I would have to be pointing my gun to light up what might be an un-armed intruder, which around here is considered assault.
Just sayn'.I can certainly see it for varmint control though!!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:36 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:46 pm
I've heard good things about Streamlights as far as gun mounted lights go. Thought about one for my EDC, however, as far as a defense weapon goes, I would have to be pointing my gun to light up what might be an un-armed intruder, which around here is considered assault.
Just sayn'.I can certainly see it for varmint control though!!
I don't think that applies to burglers in your house at zero dark thirty. ;). Besides, as you give them commands to keep their hands up, away from their person, get down and put their hands out, cross their ankles to await the police...

I had NO way of knowing if they were armed or not, I was certainly not going to risk an approach to search them as an untrained citizen. (Your Honor.... :? ). I had to detain them for police to protect myself, and protect my family, (Sir,) They had entered my house illegally under cover of darkness. :o
2 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:05 am

Thank you for painting a clear picture for me Jim. That makes sense.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry