Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

So, I’m thinking about........

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

So, I’m thinking about........

Post by Hatchdog » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:56 am

Putting together a dedicated slug semi-auto shotgun.

I have no experience shooting slugs and I am wondering if anybody here has some input to share. I’m thinking a semi-auto either magazine fed or extended tube and using a red-dot or open sights. I figured I would sight it in at 50 yards and call that good. My thought is if I no longer have access to semi-auto self defense rifles a fast shooting hard hitting shotgun might be a option. In my scenario this would be an outdoor in the country battle, not in the city.

The likelihood of this ever happening my my lifetime is unlikely but what the hell, it’s a good reason to develop a new gun and skill using it. :D

So, any slug shooters out there to offer advice?
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: So, I’m thinking about........

Post by JEBar » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:13 am

right up front, lets stay away from straying into political commentary and keep this an entertaining and educational discussion of slug guns

the finest slug gun I've ever owned was an Ithaca Model 37 Deer Slayer it was very accurate .... longest one shot deer taken was at 75-80 yards ... with its light weight and pump action it was also the hardest kicking shotgun I've ever fired .... if I wanted a slug gun today, all I'd do is first purchase a slug choke for our Remington 11-87 .... by doing so, a simple choke tube change would open the door for buckshot .... if a rifled tube didn't yield the level of performance I desired, I'd purchase a slug barrel .... extended tube magazines are available
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:35 am

Have you given any thought to ammo? There's several different slug types. Foster, Sabot, Brenneke, and any number of oddball slugs. All depends on what you want the slug to do; some require a rifled barrel, some don't. Take a look at the Brenneke line:

https://www.brennekeusa.com/

I use Brenneke Green Lightening in my old Mossy pump gun.

3 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:40 pm

I have usually hunted deer in an area that is shotgun only. That means slugs. I have a preference for smooth bore barrels with no choke. I do not like the rifled barrels. Like Gunny, I prefer to use Brenneke slugs if I have them. I prefer 20 ga over 12 ga. I just received a 12 ga vintage Remington 1100 last Christmas that was the deer hunter set up. It has a small Leupold scope tapped into it. I have shot it to 100 yds with great accuracy. I also have a 12 ga Mossberg 930 semi auto that is very accurate. It wears a smooth barrel with a door breaching end and an extended tube underneath. It was a Walmart model I saw on the Mossberg forum years ago. I added the tube extension.

Take a look at the Mossberg 930. See what Jerry Miculek can do with one. That might be what you are looking for.

(I usually hunt deer with a Remington 870 in 20 ga. The 1100 will get a try this season.)
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Achigan
Tenderfoot
Lithuania

Post by Achigan » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:48 pm

For reliable minute of torso at 50+ yards I’d go with a rifled barrel and sabots. I just hung up my 870 20 ga that I’ve taken dozens of Hoosier deer with. For me, any 12ga slug gun, even the reduced recoil rounds, is punishing and would take you way off target for a follow up shot. Both 1100s and 1187s have rifled barrels available, some with a cantilever mount for scopes.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:10 pm

I attended an NRA shotgun class at Quantico, and the winner in accuracy was shooting a pump, peep sights, and put two five round groups at fifty yards on top of one another in a fist sized ragged hole in the x-ring of a B27 training target.

I forgot to mention he was a State Trooper from some New England State that wouldn't have tipped the scales above a buck fifty in full gear including body armor. Techniques and practice will allow shooting slugs and/or buck without pain or bruising. The NRA instructor taught one. Worked for me ever since. If you can find someone to shoot shotgun with, who has experience, it will make all the difference.

I carried a Mossberg 500 in various models. Then a 590 upgrade. Now the shockwave 12 rides in the ranger around the farm.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:22 am

Thanks for all the input and I welcome more. I’ve tabled my looking for now mostly due to lack of slugs available. I did buy two boxes of five Federal 12 ga 1 oz rifled slugs and I’m keeping my eye open for more. I wish I had decided to look into this a few months ago as a local guy had a 930 set up for three gun listed for sale. That would have been the perfect set up for me. There are some off brand semi’s available at my LGS with pistol grips and sights/rails but I’m kinda of a traditionalist and would prefer a more classic line gun.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Fri May 07, 2021 7:11 am

Late to the party. But, this may help. I would go for a smooth barrel with rifled slugs as well. It seems more versatile. I prefer a HP slug for two legged threats, and a solid slug for your legged ones. I figured more energy and penetration is required for four legged ones.

https://gunpros.com/best-tactical-shotgun-home-defense/
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Fri May 07, 2021 8:05 am

GFK wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 7:11 am
Late to the party. But, this may help. I would go for a smooth barrel with rifled slugs as well. It seems more versatile. I prefer a HP slug for two legged threats, and a solid slug for your legged ones. I figured more energy and penetration is required for four legged ones.

https://gunpros.com/best-tactical-shotgun-home-defense/
That's a pretty good run down of what's available in new guns. I wouldn't write off older designs tho, such as the old slam fire pumps, The Ithaca Model 37 for example, which among other things loaded and ejected from the bottom - good for lefties and righties.
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri May 07, 2021 11:23 am

GunnyGene wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 8:05 am
That's a pretty good run down of what's available in new guns. I wouldn't write off older designs tho, such as the old slam fire pumps, The Ithaca Model 37 for example, which among other things loaded and ejected from the bottom - good for lefties and righties.
I had an Ithaca Model 37 Featherweight pump slug gun .... out to 100 yards it grouped well firing Winchester 2 3/4" rifled slugs .... I let it go because it was the kicking long gun I've ever fired .... for manageable recoil, starting with a semi auto makes a great deal of sense .... our vintage Remington 11-87 performs well
0 x