Drover
United States of America

Re: So, I’m thinking about........

Post by GunnyGene » Fri May 07, 2021 11:41 am

JEBar wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 11:23 am
GunnyGene wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 8:05 am
That's a pretty good run down of what's available in new guns. I wouldn't write off older designs tho, such as the old slam fire pumps, The Ithaca Model 37 for example, which among other things loaded and ejected from the bottom - good for lefties and righties.
I had an Ithaca Model 37 Featherweight pump slug gun .... out to 100 yards it grouped well firing Winchester 2 3/4" rifled slugs .... I let it go because it was the kicking long gun I've ever fired .... for manageable recoil, starting with a semi auto makes a great deal of sense .... our vintage Remington 11-87 performs well
Recoil is a problem for some folks. I think for some it's a technique issue. I've never had an issue with it in shotguns or other firearms, even as a kid.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri May 07, 2021 1:05 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 11:41 am
Recoil is a problem for some folks. I think for some it's a technique issue. I've never had an issue with it in shotguns or other firearms, even as a kid.
for me, it didn't used to be a problem with any long or short gun .... for big game hunting I used to carry a Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag, 300 WBY Mag, or Ithaca 12 ga slug gun .... all were and still are hard kickers .... after developing heart trouble and being on blood thinners that changed and the onset of arthritic joints added another level of discomfort .... any significant recoil resulted in pain and bruising .... I got rid of the Ithaca and still have the other tow .... on them I've spent considerably more in felt recoil reducing mods than they cost .... I've also developed low power loads which allow me to continue to fire them .... that is a process I'm just beginning with our Bond Roughneck derringer
0 x

armycat
Wrangler
Canada

Post by armycat » Fri May 07, 2021 1:52 pm

I shoot quite a few slugs in 3 gun and such. I think if I was dedicating a shotgun for potential self defence I would use a pump shotgun with smooth bore 20" barrel with interchangeable chokes. Slugs can be fired through a few different chokes and the tighter chokes give more flexibility for putting meat on the table.

I would take a pump because semi autos are restricted to 5 rounds in Canada. I am fond of Mossberg 500 or 590 and Benelli Nova. I would stay away from any Remington 870 Express. I had the 870 Tactical and it let me down on several occasions during competition.

For sights I would go with rifle sights or ghost ring sights. I have had some bad luck wth red dots and the Vortex Spitfire prism scope on shotguns. The red dot would not turn off after a match. Repaired under warranty but a pain in the ass to deal with and you are screwed if you run out of batteries.

The Spitfire illuminated reticle would turn off during the recoil impulse. This is apparently due to the battery being inline with the bore and during recoil it compresses the spring and the breaks contact with the other terminal of the battery compartment. Putting a ball of tin foil under the spring will fix the problem. It has an etched reticle so you can still aim but I found shooting in shadows at targets in shadows (in the woods) the etched reticle is difficult to pick up quickly.

Bead sights don't give the required accuracy for longer shots. I have no problem hitting IPSC targets at 100m with XS Ghost ring sights.

I would like to try a ported barrel just to see the difference in recoil.

I normally use Score Competition Slugs and have no problems with feeding, extracting, etc. Accuracy is good and these are lighter recoil which allows for faster follow up shots. In a self defence scenario I might want a harder hitting slug.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat May 08, 2021 9:22 am

There’s a local guy selling a Stoeger M/3000 semi-auto with a 24” barrel and a 10 shot tube magazine. I’m somewhat tempted to take a look at this gun, not sure if it is drilled and tapped for a rail. The factory website shows it available with and without this feature.

armycat, thanks for the input on red dot sights and the recoil of a 12 ga shotgun, I hadn’t considered that.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat May 08, 2021 4:51 pm

GFK wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 7:11 am
Late to the party. But, this may help. I would go for a smooth barrel with rifled slugs as well. It seems more versatile. I prefer a HP slug for two legged threats, and a solid slug for your legged ones. I figured more energy and penetration is required for four legged ones.

https://gunpros.com/best-tactical-shotgun-home-defense/
Companion link:

https://www.gun-tests.com/ammo/slugs-fo ... ds-rock-3/
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun May 09, 2021 10:00 am

Thanks for the link GFK. I’m a slug dummy so you’re info is appreciated.

Yesterday I found and bought two more boxes of slugs. Can’t remember off hand the brand (maybe Zero?) but they are 1 1/8 oz. So for now I have 14 Federal 1 oz and 10 of the 1 1/8 oz. I think I’ll keep trying to get some slugs and make a shotgun decision later.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun May 09, 2021 11:43 am

Hatchdog wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 10:00 am
Thanks for the link GFK. I’m a slug dummy so you’re info is appreciated.
You are welcome. Me too, I am still learning about shotgun shells. It is a wide range. The one thing that I find interesting is the sizes available (2 3/4", 3" and 3 1/2" shells). Each seems to have its purpose. Yet, I like looking at them as standard, magnum, and super magnum. I found a few of each. But, I think that I will get a couple more boxes of 2 3/4" slugs as well. 1 oz seems to be the more readily available than other weights. But lately, I came across a few 1 oz hollow points. Even with that, I found more 00 buck shells locally than slugs. Slugs go quickly around here.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).