Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Benelli Nova Tactical Pump

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Benelli Nova Tactical Pump

Post by GFK » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:57 pm

Well, I picked up one today. I had some time today and been wanting to check out some shops, to see what ammo was available. I did find some .357s and .38s for about $1 a round. I have been wanting a shotgun, and this Nova was just sitting in the rack. It looked nice. So, I went ahead and took it home. I like the idea of the Ghost Ring sight. Finding shells was a little challenging. The dealer did have bird shot. After a few stops, I did find some slugs at a gun range. Have not bought shells before. So, I assume the price was not too bad ($19 for the bird shot [25] and $14 for the slugs [5]). Plus, I wanted something to shoot, to get a feel of it. But, the slugs did seem high though. Yet, I did want to have a couple on hand. I will check availability online as well. However, I suspect prices will not go down, until the high priced stuff is sold. By then, it may be next in the rotation for a range trip.

Nova-1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GFK on Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Benelli Nova

Post by Ernie » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:06 am

Good shotgun. I have one that is my go to home defense. Added light, shell holder on butt stock, and extended magazine.
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:05 am

I seen there may be a recoil reduction kit. I will probably look at the possibility of getting one.

P.S.
Reviews varied about the recoil reduction kit. I will see how it shoots and may try a slip-on butt pad. It seems to use the same one that I have for my Marlin 336. So, it is worth a try.
Last edited by GFK on Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:09 am

That is a good looking shotgun, the sights are a nice addition. Doesn’t look like an extended magazine, what’s the capacity for that jewel?
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:33 pm

Thanks! 2 3/4" shell is 4+1, and 3 1/2" shell is 3+1. In a combat or law enforcement situation, more may be better. In a hunting or self-defense situation, 4 or 5 may and will have to do. It was not for sale at a discount though. The store wanted full retail. The dealer claimed to have had received 17 of the SupreNova Tactical Pump-Actions with the pistol grip earlier in the month, and only had one left. Also, he claimed to have had received two of the Nova Tactical Pump-Actions with the standard grip, and I take one of them home. There may have been about $100 difference. But, I do not care for the extended hand grip. It is not like that I will be in a combat zone. If so, we all are in trouble.
Last edited by GFK on Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:26 pm

I’ve never shot a pistol grip shotgun and have no desire to do so. You can add a slip on butt stock shell holder and add 5-6 shot shells to your total. Nice set up and it will serve you well should the need ever arise.
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:10 pm

Hatchdog wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:26 pm
I’ve never shot a pistol grip shotgun and have no desire to do so. You can add a slip on butt stock shell holder and add 5-6 shot shells to your total. Nice set up and it will serve you well should the need ever arise.
Thanks, and I agree. I did not type what I was thinking. I do not care for the pistol grip either. It is interesting that you mentioned the slip on shell holder. That was a 2019 Christmas present, from my wife. She must have figured that it would come in handy one day. Thanks for reminding me.

The shotgun is shipped with a 2 shell limiter. I was not aware of it; until, I loaded a couple of dummy shells, and they got stuck. The owner's manual discusses it in the Accessory section. I looked closer at that section, when I was looking for direction on disassembling the magazine tube. It was next to the magazine tube extension accessory area. I guess they are somewhat related. Nonetheless, the shells load fine, after cleaning and oiling of the magazine tube. What is interesting, the manual goes in detail about disassembling for cleaning. It even describes how to remove the firing pin. But, disassembling of the magazine tube is not mentioned. Since it is not subject gunpower residue, I suppose it does not require cleaning too often.
0 x

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:19 am

With the extended mag on mine and the extra shells on the stock the added weight is noticeable but not too bad. I also like the ghost ring sights, first shotgun I have owned with that option. Hope you enjoy your Benelli.
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:58 am

Ernie wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:19 am
With the extended mag on mine and the extra shells on the stock the added weight is noticeable but not too bad. I also like the ghost ring sights, first shotgun I have owned with that option. Hope you enjoy your Benelli.
Thanks! Me too! While in the Navy, I shot Remingtons during the qualifications shoots. Back then, we had to go through a session of annual small arm qualification: .45 ACP (changed to 9mm), 12ga and M14). Shotgun was considered primary for clearing a hallway. So, I thought it would be nice to have one. Benelli seems to be a pretty good product. I am looking forward to putting a few shells through it.
Last edited by GFK on Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:05 am

Pardon me if I’m stating the oblivious here but most shotgun manufacturers put limiters in the mag tube in order to make them legal for hunting. Here in Washington State we are limited to three total shot shells while hunting. Most shotguns have a simple “plug” in the tube that can be removed which would increase your capacity by two. I don’t know if that’s possible with your Benelli.
1 x