Drover
United States of America

Re: Benelli M2 for HD

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:18 pm

John E Davies wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:46 pm
GunnyGene wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:57 am
Just a reminder; campgrounds and rest stops are notoriously dangerous places after dark. I hope that you and others also carry a suitable handgun ( in addition to a long gun ) when traveling or camping. :)
I am curious about why you say campgrounds are dangerous. Would you mind elaborating?

In my decades of camping, I have found them to generally be very safe, except for those run down city RV parks and Walmart parking lots. Rest stops are indeed stupidly dangerous at night. In the woods, you definitely need to be aware of bears and moose, depending on the location, not so much of two legged predators. It is highly unlikely that you will be bothered at a State Park or Federal campground.

John Davies
Spokane WA
A few personal experiences. Theft, druggies, boozed up guys shooting up the woods. That said, I haven't been out in the woods since the mid '90s. Used to hike in to some fishing spots in the Olympics and Cascades when I lived up there and camp out for 3 or 4 days. Always went armed.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:54 pm

just as with most every location, some campgrounds are better than others .... over the years our travels have taken us though all of the lower 48 states .... from ocean to ocean and border to border .... we have heard stories of problems in various campgrounds .... while we've visited bunches and I do mean bunches the worst we've seen has been some local teenagers slip into a state park campground and steal coolers looking for beer .... they were caught a couple of nights later when they came in again .... while we have no substantive concerns about safety in campgrounds that we don't have at home and we take much the same precautions in both
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:46 pm

JEBar wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:54 pm
just as with most every location, some campgrounds are better than others .... over the years our travels have taken us though all of the lower 48 states .... from ocean to ocean and border to border .... we have heard stories of problems in various campgrounds .... while we've visited bunches and I do mean bunches the worst we've seen has been some local teenagers slip into a state park campground and steal coolers looking for beer .... they were caught a couple of nights later when they came in again .... while we have no substantive concerns about safety in campgrounds that we don't have at home and we take much the same precautions in both
I wasn't including the expected wildlife, btw. Most of my camping experience has not been in designated campgrounds, but just a spot near a lake or trout stream way off the beaten path. Just me and my dog. I never did like going to popular places with "stay on the trail" signs & over run with city folks with yappy little dogs riding in their daypack, and leaving their trash all over the place. My idea of a good camp is a few days living off the land and no people for at least 3 or 4 miles in any direction. I could deal with the occasional bear, etc..
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:30 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:46 pm
My idea of a good camp is a few days living off the land and no people for at least 3 or 4 miles in any direction.
understood because years ago (OK decades ago) that was the way I approached camping .... now days my idea of a good camp is one that is reasonably level, with 50 amp service, full hookups, in a reasonably quiet area yet close to shopping, with a strong cell phone and internet reception, and a clear view of the southern sky of satellite TV

:D 8-) :D
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:53 pm

JEBar wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:30 pm
GunnyGene wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:46 pm
My idea of a good camp is a few days living off the land and no people for at least 3 or 4 miles in any direction.
understood because years ago (OK decades ago) that was the way I approached camping .... now days my idea of a good camp is one that is reasonably level, with 50 amp service, full hookups, in a reasonably quiet area yet close to shopping, with a strong cell phone and internet reception, and a clear view of the southern sky of satellite TV

:D 8-) :D
Gee, sounds like my house here. :lol:
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:24 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:53 pm
Gee, sounds like my house here. :lol:
as it does ours .... ;)
0 x

Koyote
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Koyote » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:56 pm

Got my Taran Tactical lifter/carrier in the mail today. Now to look/see how difficult to change in my M2.

UPDATE Mar 3, 2021:
Not being mechanically inclined, I had to get up my courage to replace the Benelli Carrier with the Taran Tactical one. I looked on YouTube and found two different vids to help me out. It only took them 10 min. to change them out while it took me four hours. I had my laptop in one room and working on the trigger assembly in another. The Youtube guys were experienced and I am old, but I still was proud of myself for completing the job. My tools were a wooden chop stick (so I wouldn't scratch the finish), a thin flat blade screwdriver and a small pair of needle nose pliers. I had the most trouble with a tiny 'D'ring, but eventually got it back on when re-assembling. Upon completion, I loaded some shells and it went smoother then with the Benelli Carrier.
If anyone else tries it I am sure you will be more adept at it then me.
Good shootin' to y'all!
Last edited by Koyote on Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:14 am

Interesting: https://youtu.be/TXI6wjMLkfo . Hope it makes loading easier!
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Koyote
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Koyote » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:34 am

GFK, that was one of the vids I used to help me switch out the carrier.
1 x