Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Winchester SXP questions

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Winchester SXP questions

Post by ruhler » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:57 pm

Im new to pumpaction shotguns but wondering if this is normal?
I have a Winchester SXP maybe fired 50rounds since new and when unloading some unfired shells of a cheaper brand for clayshooting the last round drops down back in the action as its unsupported underneath, While cycling I just see the shell drops down in the back from the bolt downwards. Same result with azoom snapcaps they just falls back in. a fired shell of same brand is longer and is supported by the chamber and probably reach some tension of the ejectorspring in the champer and it ejects fine. ive noticed that rimprofile on the failing shells is flared more and different and perhaps is better suited for over-under shotguns. My huntingshells and some other brand I have works perfect both fired as unfired. Is this normal that some brand of shells (perhaps out of spec rims?) just doesnt work or should I take the gun to a gunsmith?
Last edited by ruhler on Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: pumpshotgun issue?

Post by Cofisher » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:44 pm

Hey ruhler, I’ve never experienced the issue you are having. I’ve not heard of case rims being not similarly sized. In center fire rifles the ejector catchers the rim. Is that where you are having trouble?
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:32 pm

What maker of shells are you having issues with? There was one ammo maker here that some that people had problems with, but, I'll await your answer.
0 x

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Winchester SXP questions

Post by ruhler » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:15 pm

Forgot to mention the chamber is 3" and Shells är 2 3/4. The shells are of a brand named Gyttorp leadmax. Seems like the extractor dont get a firm grip on the rim the Shell just slides down from the bolt with unfired Shell. Same Shell thats fired are longer giving support from the chamber is ejected. Other brands seems to work.

Either the shell is out of spec or the extractor and/or extractorspring too weak I really cant see another cause.
Last edited by ruhler on Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:57 am

Is it 3” only? Have you tried the longer shells.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Winchester SXP questions

Post by ruhler » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:06 am

Its 2 3/4 and 3"
Ive tried different brands of shells but only 2 3/4 I dont have any 3" shells and found that is these brand/model that fails has a smaller, narrower, rounded rim. I think its ammorelated, these shells works great in ordinary over/under shotguns and most people around here use that kind of shotgun. Problem is that im ejecting a unfired shell, the solution is ofc the shell must be fired then it ejects correctly :), I think it may be a smaller out of spec rim in combination with 2 3/4" shell in a 3" chamber. So its really not an issue as long it ejects fired shells, just making sure that its nothing wrong with the shotgun if I need some warranty repair.
1 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Winchester SXP questions

Post by Rifletom » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:51 am

Hmm. I'd wager it's the ammo, not your shotgun. If it chambers and ejects other types of 2.75" shells, that should be your answer. Let us know what you find out. Curious.
1 x