Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Mossberg 835 12 gauge

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Mossberg 835 12 gauge

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:54 pm

On my range evolution yesterday, I discovered that my injury to my left wrist / hand last year has caused lingering damage that will not allow me to shoot the Mossberg Shockwave without significant pain. :evil: :roll: It's the range of motion and weakness in the grip. I can't roll the hand far enough forward to grip the forearm. Let's just say I am NOT a happy camper. I had just gotten that "GUN" (not a shotgun.)... set up the way I wanted it. I mentioned to Miss T that I might just sell/trade it off and she was NOT a happy camper. She loves the Streamlight tracker forearm. the light in that thing Lights up everything and SHE can still handle it. It's staying.

light mounted c.jpg

Looking in the safe, I have a full size Mossberg 835. No idea where it came from, but I likely helped out a friend years ago and tucked it in the back of the safe and promptly forgot about it. I have other shotguns, a beautiful double barrel coach gun in fact. I shouldered the 835 and the stock extends the gun far enough out that the lack of range of motion on the wrist doesn't seem to matter. The barrel is marked 2-3/4 to 3-1/2" magnum, no slugs. ;) We use slugs on the bigger varmints. I have a bid in on a slug barrel on ebay as NO new barrels are available through the retail sources. Has this gun been discontinued for some reason? The action is smooth, it seems well made. Replaced by a nicer version, poor sales. Problems?

mossberg 835 12g.jpg

Any book lovers in the crowd look at the bottom shelf in the bookcase, the fifth or sixth book over, yellow cover. "Red Ryder and the Secret of Wolf Canyon." Found at a yard sale, copywrite 1941. Don't know how old the book is, but it's a hardback, with thick pages and older than I am. It belonged to the owners Grandfather. The book beside it was his too, "Two Years Before the Mast." Somewhere in the bookcase is the old man's copy of "Uncle Tom's Cabin." The pages are fragile and the book is small, about 4" x 6". I paid what she was asking. $1 per book.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Mossberg 835 12 gauge

Post by fortyshooter » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:19 pm

I have the 20 ga. Shockwave and it is real handy to have and is in the rotation of bedside guns. I have it setup for the Streamlight as well.
It's a good one to have around due to it's short length. The ATF paperwork that comes with it is cool!
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:57 pm

Yeah, yeah, rub it in. :D Why not just say, "I love my 20 gauge Shockwave gimpyone, too bad your wife stole-did your 12 Gauge." :lol:
2 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:56 am

Well, this has been interesting. I found a fiber optic sighted slug barrel on ebay, and placed a bid. But... it wasn't. contacted the seller and he said, "it's fine, you can shoot slugs out of it... it has an open choke and isn't overbored." :roll: :? Ah, the side of the barrel is MARKED "Not for slug use."

I started reading the various information on the various sources and finally found a post from Mossberg saying slugs could ONLY be used on the smooth barrels made for slug use. The Vent Rib barrels are all overbored and not safe for slug use. We withdrew the bid as mossberg warned the projectiles could turn sideways and cause the gun to ... um... blow. It might be on the next shot, or could be ten or fifty shots. NO slugs in vent ribbed guns. SLUG barrels only.

So I continued my search for SLUG barrels. I searched mossberg's site. ALL their barrels are out of stock. EVERY model. :o
Sheesh.

I might be better off trading the 3-1/2" chambered gun in on a basic 590 NOT marked NOT for Slugs. :)
1 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:26 pm

That might be the way to go Marine. Do you want a 3.5" chambered shotgun? If not, the 590 should work well. Let's see what happens here. Good luck.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:18 pm

Rifletom wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:26 pm
That might be the way to go Marine. Do you want a 3.5" chambered shotgun? If not, the 590 should work well. Let's see what happens here. Good luck.
I don't really have a need for the 3-1/2" chambered 12 gauge, I don't do any bird hunting. A good 500 or 590 may be the way to go.
I'll look harder at the availability in the area. I wouldn't really know how to go about selling guns other than thru the local shops. :lol:
1 x