Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Forcing Cone

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Forcing Cone

Post by tx gunrunner » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:34 pm

Here is a pic of a forcing cone after I cut to 11 degrees . It work great for cast bullet and jacket too . It stops most leading in most revolvers and most custom gun makers use the 11 degrees in all there revolvers .

click on pic to enlarge
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Forcing Cone

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:31 pm

TGR,
I have a few questions, being a complete novice who is in total awe of your knowledge and skill.
  • Why 11 degrees?
    How did you cut the forcing cone?
    What is the orientation of the cut?
    How did you determine the precision of the angle?
The entire idea of it is fascinating, but how and why you did it is a complete mystery to me.
Thanks.
4 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:19 pm

tx gunrunner wrote:Here is a pic of a forcing cone after I cut to 11 degrees . It work great for cast bullet and jacket too . It stops most leading in most revolvers and most custom gun makers use the 11 degrees in all there revolvers .

click on pic to enlarge

I ditto CT's questions, tx gunrunner....especially the whys & wherefores of this "mystery." And I have some Qs also.
  • ~~~If as you said, this "stops most leading in most revolvers," why isn't it a part of revolver production :?: :?: That would make sense to me.
    ~~~Would most professional gunsmiths, other than custom gun makers, know about this process?
    ~~~If this were available as a gunsmithing package, similar to projects like are done at Bowen Classic Firearms (BCA) located in TN, http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/about.html, is there any name to the process of cutting the forcing cone?
BCA lists numerous projects in their shop. It would be cool to find out if this forcing cone cut is done by their gunsmiths.

A most interesting post.
0 x

~Пока~

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:39 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:TGR,
I have a few questions, being a complete novice who is in total awe of your knowledge and skill.
  • Why 11 degrees?
    How did you cut the forcing cone?
    What is the orientation of the cut?
    How did you determine the precision of the angle?
The entire idea of it is fascinating, but how and why you did it is a complete mystery to me.
Thanks.
This should answer most your questions :D If you do a lot of cast bullet shooting it is worth cutting the forcing cone . I do it a little different then the video . The tool in video will do 32 cal to 45 cal and cost about $80 and it cuts the crown also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtIBv6VIQGE

A pic is worth a 1000 words . This is the only paper target I shot with this gun after cutting the forcing cone . I shoot this gun only on steel target for SASS/CAS practice :D...
click on pic to enlarge
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:50 am

Thank you for the video link. It was very helpful to watch the process and interesting to learn that the tools are available to rent.

Your target is quite impressive!!! Thanks for the picture.

Do you know if any revolver manufacturers already provide an 11 degree cut on the forcing cone?
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:12 am

This is something I had no idea about. Thanks for posting John.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:16 pm

I agree. This was a very interesting discovery. Thanks for introducing us to it, TGR.
0 x

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:45 pm

CT_Shooter wrote: Do you know if any revolver manufacturers already provide an 11 degree cut on the forcing cone?
All the high dollar guns and custom gun makes cut 11 degrees only .

Abilene , Seville

http://www.clementscustomguns.com/rugerrevolvers.html
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:27 pm

tx gunrunner wrote:
All the high dollar guns and custom gun makes cut 11 degrees only.
This is a fascinating and very new view of the shooting hobby. Thanks.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:12 pm

earlier today we dropped of two Remington 11-87 12 ga shotguns with a Texas gunsmith who I have come to trust .... also dropped off our Henry 45-70 for some recoil suppression upgrades .... after reading this thread several times and listening to his recommendation, he will be modifying the forcing cone in the 11-87's .... don't know the degree, am content to leave all that up to him .... looking forward to running some 3" Double-Ought buckshot through it to see how they perform
0 x