Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

I don't like Kimber 1911's

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

I don't like Kimber 1911's

Post by ditto1958 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:00 pm

I'm not sure why, but I do not like Kimber 1911's. Some people love them. Kimber fans are some of the most brand-loyal gun owners around. Me? Not so much. In fact, not at all. I think if someone gave me one, I'd sell it and buy something else.

So, today at the range a Kimber gave me all the more reason to dislike them. A guy was gonna shoot his son's Kimber, but when he racked the slide back to chamber a round, a razor sharp edge on the ejection port cut his thumb. I felt the area that was the culprit, and immediately said, "that's just wrong." That gun probably cost about $1,000. When you pay that much for a gun, it shouldn't have things like that on it. While it is something easily fixed, a gun buyer shouldn't have to do that.
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: I don't like Kimber 1911's

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:31 pm

Fit & finish matter for sure, and for that money I'd expect more.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Hitman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hitman » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:58 pm

I own 2 Kimber 1911's and the fit and finish is perfect.
1 x
Henry H004 Golden Boy
Henry H006 Big Boy 44
Henry H010B 45-70
NRA Benefactor Member

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:37 pm

I own one Kimber and I would never spend the money for another. I have 2 Sig 1911's that cost less than the Kimber and will shoot circles around my Kimber. There over rated for the price. Al
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:18 am

Have owned one Kimber 1911 and no complaints. No company bats a thousand, though, on their guns.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:33 am

Half the fun of buying a new firearm is making it range ready.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bugs » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:50 pm

Years ago Kimber made a nice gun. Then Steve Cohen climbed aboard and ramped up their advertising and production numbers whilst sacrificing quality and product control. He made Kimber a lot of $$$. There is not a gun rag on the planet that does not have a full 2 page color ad for Kimber. That cost gets passed along to the consumer. I was also never a fan of their Schwartz safety mechanism. There are a lot of 1911's which offer much more bang for the buck IMHO and I've played with this platform for a long time. Mr. Cohen is now bastagizing Sig Sauer. The best buys for a quality, well built 1911 now is a Baer or Dan Wesson unless you want to go full custom.
0 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:42 pm

Most of my dislike for Kimber 1911's is subjective. For some reason, I just don't like the way they look. I don't like the name, either. It's kind of a girl's name. Not manly and American sounding (Colt, Remington, Winchester, Smith & Wesson...).

I do have objective reasons, too:
1. I don't like full length guide rods in 1911's
2. They are over priced
3. They tend to come with one crappy magazine
4. They tend to have plastic mainspring housings
5. The plastic mainspring housings LOOK plastic*

*Plastic mainspring housings work fine, and are okay with me (I guess) on cheaper guns. The problem I have with Kimber is two-fold. First, they use them on $1,000 guns, when other companies use metal ones on 1911's costing half as much. Second, they use plastic that looks like plastic. At least get some plastic that looks like metal.
0 x

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:08 am

Disclaimer:

I never owned a Kimber and I never owned a 45acp caliber pistol either.

I would never Buy or Accept a NIB gun if it was rough and not smooth in fit and finish. It would have to not only LOOK good out of the box but it would have to feel good and have smooth edges and be just about perfect.

Can things go wrong at a factory? Yes, but the company, whoever IT is, better make it right if you find an issue.

And in my opinion if you spend a Lot of money or Not so much money on a GUN or any other tool or thing... if you are buying something NIB- new in box... you should NOT accept it if it is NOT right from your FFL dealer.

But I only bought NIB guns and I did not have issues with any of my former or present guns. I know that some of you may think (?) that I am full of it but I am being blunt here on what I owned in the past and the few rifles that I still shoot.

Maybe I lucked out and/or maybe the DEALER checked it all over when HE received the gun from his distributor and he would not accept a crapola gun. Beats me.

KIMBER should make it right for the buyer. The dealer should make it right for the buyer too.

The BUYER of any new gun should check it over at the FFL dealer Before he fills out his paperwork and Pays for the gun. Later on, if something is wrong with the new gun found out at the range or some other issue comes up... the buyer should contact his dealer and/or the gun company.

One of our friends recently shot some OLDER pistol from overseas and it BIT him at the range. He was not holding it right plus it did not have something on the pistol which I can't remember the name for it now. My husband is asleep so I can't ask him the term now. But it is ON most 45 acp semi automatic pistols and that OLDER pistol did not have it. Plus the shooter was not used to shooting that older pistol. IT bit our friend, he bled, and my husband showed him how to hold and handle that specific pistol after he saw it happen. They were at the range together that day. After that, our friend had NO issue and it was the shooter's fault. Plus it would have been easier for him if it had the THING ON IT that I can't think of now. Our friend tried some of my husband's Kimber and Glock pistols even though my husband is much taller (6'1") and has longer fingers. That man could tell the difference immediately even with the size difference in hands PLUS he handled the pistol properly.

Anyway... I have no skin in the game and am just offering my opinion which may or may not count being I personally never owned a semi automatic pistol other than in the GLOCK brand and the Smith and Wesson Model 41 (Camp Perry people used them a lot.) and in a Smith and Wesson Model 22A. I Never even got to shoot my late husband's Ruger Mark something number (?) many, many years ago before he died of cancer.

Side note:

I shot a $$$ fancy policeman style shotgun $$$ at one of our shooting events that belonged to a close friend of ours. That shotgun had some CUSTOM work and stuff put on it. There was some dang spot on the shotgun where 'some custom work' was done and that freaking rough SPOT bit me HARD, I BLED and I immediately got a big blood blister. IT BROUGHT TEARS TO MY EYES - no kidding and I am usually a hard !!! and I can DEAL WITH PAIN on a daily basis.

OUR good friend was upset when he saw the rough spot on the gun and my bleeding and blistering BOO BOO on my hand but I told him not to worry and it eventually healed. It took some time to heal and I mean it hurt like the dickens. I was very careful not to get an infection too.

I never personally owned a shotgun, my late husband never owned one and my MT husband has owned several in the past. He owns one now (12 gauge) and LOVES IT. We may get a .410 shotgun that we can share.

That was the ONLY TIME in my 66 years that a ANY GUN BIT ME HARD and/or bothered me now that I think about it.

Disclaimer: I have only shot a few shotguns in my life too. Due to my old bad injuries and and arthritis. From the shoulder (LIGHTER gauge - .410) and from the side - waist/hip level shooting - 12 gauge.) I would have kept shooting his 12 gauge shotgun from the hip at those clay targets at a lower level IF that screw/part had not BIT me too.

I hope that Kimber fixes that man's pistol for him.

Many of our friends own Kimbers, Colts and Glocks. Several of them bought Kimber and Glock pistols like my husband's in the past and recently too. They are happy with them.

My husband only owns an older Kimber and one several years old. He does own Glock pistols too. He only shoots 45acp handguns now too. He has had no issues with his guns.

But poop happens in life and IF he did have an issue - he would have Kimber and his FFL dealer make it right from the gitgo or when a problem was discovered.

Cate
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:33 am

Not defending or criticizing Kimber, here, but I do see a lot of negativity aimed at the company, even though I myself have never had issues with the Kimbers I've owned. That includes one 1911 and a couple of their rifles and, recently, one of their new revolvers. Some of the negativity is well-deserved and some of it is not.

Kimber was one of the first companies to go with MIM parts in a big way and they took a ton of flak about it. Now, of course, most companies use MIM parts, routinely. No longer a big deal, but Kimber, being one of the first to use MIM, was heavily criticized for it. They should get a pass on this one.

Kimber has also had inconsistent and, sometimes, just lousy customer service. This is well-documented. Have heard that it is better, now, but there were times when you bought a Kimber and prayed you wouldn't need to call Kimber.

Kimber was one of the first big players in the resurgence of interest in 1911s and fell behind in their production at times. The guns during this period were sometimes less than stellar, to be sure. Fit and finish on the Kimbers I've seen, recently, though, has been excellent.

Great values, Kimbers are not. That's not their market niche. Not a fan of their plastic mainspring housings or their firing pin safeties and, yes, I think it's pretty cheap to only supply one mag with their guns. The TLE that I had, though, shot as well as any 1991 I have. Yes, I think there are better 1911s for the money, but Kimber 1911s do shoot. I think they should get a pass on this one, too, simply because you know these things, up front and Kimber doesn't make a secret of it.

More recently, knowing all this, I went way out on a limb and took a chance with the new Kimber K6s revolver in 357. Probably the riskiest new gun purchase I've ever made. The gun is superb, though. Fit and finish, both externally AND internally, is the best Iv'e seen on a small revolver, better than a few S&W Performance Center J frames I've owned. The DAO trigger is easily equal to the best S&W PC trigger. Ironically, no MIM parts, either. 6 shots instead of the usual 5 on a J frame or a similar Ruger. Accuracy is as good as it gets in a small snub nose. Very well thought out and executed design. Has ended my quest for a small carry revolver.

As I said, I neither love nor hate Kimber. Doubt I'll ever develop any real loyalty to the brand, but not afraid to buy one if it suits my need, either. As always, though, each to their own. Can't blame anyone for not liking them or liking them.
4 x