Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New Blackhawk

Centaur
Cowhand
United States of America

New Blackhawk

Post by Centaur » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:54 pm

Did some trading and picked up a new Ruger Blackhawk convertible in 45 Colt/45acp. Shot some warm HSM bear loads in it, and decided that the plastic grips had to go, so it now wears some nice walnut grips that are a bit easier on the hands with boomer loads. Shooting 45acp, the revolver is a pussy cat.
Forgot how nice Blackhawks are since I haven’t had one in a while, and the convertible aspect makes the gun that much better.
4 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: New Blackhawk

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:15 pm

I picked up a pair a little while ago, the 45 Colt / 45acp and 357 / 9mm. The weather hadn't cooperated, but I am finally shooting again. The 357 is on the range this week... Then the 45. Glad your gun is a shooter.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:31 pm

That's one of my favorite Blackhawks. You are so right about shooting 45 Colt bear loads, though. If you think those HSM loads are nasty, though, they are a picnic compared to some of the 45 Colt +P Ruger only Buffalo Bore loads I've shot.

If you are looking for some big, oversized grips to help with recoil, I'm using some https://badgercustomgrips.com/collectio ... -revolvers grips on my Blackhawk 41 mag and my 44 mag Super. Okay, not traditional, but at least they are still wood rather than rubber. They do help.

Top is Premium Macassar Ebony and bottom is American Black Walnut.
2 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:03 pm

And if you want some grips that dont change the look of the gun like those Badger Grips do check out some Bear Paw Grips. They are really well done and feel great. I have three sets of them. Not at all knocking the Badger grips its a personal preference thing for sure.
https://bearpawgrips.com/
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:05 pm

Oh yeah, a new BH in the house, I have one of those, but don't use the acp cylinder much.
But was pleasantly surprised with it fit and worked perfectly in my Vaquero also.
You didn't say, which barrel length did you buy?

RP
Last edited by Vaquero on Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by rickhem » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:00 am

I also have a Blackhawk in .45 Colt. I've hunted with it but so far have not taken a shot at a deer with it yet. Lower power loads with a 250 grain lead bullet are accurate and fun to shoot, but those heavy hunting loads are less fun. I find that recoil drives the pistol straight back before it rocks up (I have a Bisley frame on it at present). That ends up letting the back of the trigger guard pound into the middle segment of my middle finger in recoil. It hurts, and after 5 or 10 shots, starts impacting my focus. I realize that when hunting, I won't feel that, but sighting back in with the hunting ammo is less than pleasurable. Some of those grips pictured seem to alter hand placement enough that it would eliminate the issue completely. I may have to look into that as an option.
Thanks for posting!
1 x

Centaur
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Centaur » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:23 am

Checked out those Bearpaw grips. Very nice! Now I’m looking for a holster that doesn’t break the bank but is still good quality.
And I got the 5 1/2 barrel.
3 x