Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

The 617-1 saw daylight today

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: The 617-1 saw daylight today

Post by GFK » Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:39 pm

To me, any day of shooting is a good day! Glad you got out!!
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:29 am

Dave if I ever find a pre-lock 617, I will grab it for sure, even though I have that current one. The 617 is such a great gun when you find one that works.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:36 am

Nice looking gun. I love the heavy barreled smiths.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:46 am

I second the need to keep 617s clean. They clog up fast if you don't. All revolvers need to be kept clean, of course, but the 617 just seems more inclined to foul than other revolvers. This is the 10 shot version. Not sure about the older 6 shot versions.

As for ammo, we use CCI SV a lot in our 617s. Browsing the S&W and target forums, CCI SV seems to be the ammo around which S&W builds their rimfire handguns, revolver and semi-autos like the Model 41.
1 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:16 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:46 am
I second the need to keep 617s clean. They clog up fast if you don't. All revolvers need to be kept clean, of course, but the 617 just seems more inclined to foul than other revolvers. This is the 10 shot version. Not sure about the older 6 shot versions.

As for ammo, we use CCI SV a lot in our 617s. Browsing the S&W and target forums, CCI SV seems to be the ammo around which S&W builds their rimfire handguns, revolver and semi-autos like the Model 41.
The six shot version was filthy. I used Balistol and a toothpick to remove solidified grime from the cylinder recesses and a few other areas where it was built up and solid. Balistol on a rag took care of the rest. Unless a gun is REALLY bad, I limit cylinder and barrel cleaning to bore snakes. I'm not putting too many rounds through them between cleanings.

My 4" ten shot 617 was purchased used also. It needed a pretty deep cleaning to get it acceptable if I recall. I' attribute it to people who believe .22 cal firearms don't need to be cleaned.

I'll have to watch each one to see if they foul more than others. I'm afraid they don't get out much. I'll have to change that.

Thanks for the information on the CCI SV. I have some of that too. I know how finicky some of my airguns are about pellets.
I have a fairly wide variety of .22 lr. People have offered me some here if they don't shoot but know I do. The zip lock bags of assorted .22 lr, l and shorts are my favorites. You can certainly call that a mixed bag. (Very rarely do I find a round that has failed to fire.)
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member