Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Original Remington XP-100 at last

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Original Remington XP-100 at last

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:24 pm

As some of you know, I'm a specialty pistol shooter and a collector. One of my grail guns has been the first model of the Remington experimental pistol number 100, better known as the Remington XP-100. These original models were chambered in 221 Fireball and had a shorter 10.5" barrel than the later 14.5" barrels. These first versions also had a bolt on nylon rib, which was more ornamental than functional, but add on ribs for handguns were popular in the 60s and 70s, so Remington thought it would add sales appeal. These first XP-100s were chambered in 221 Fireball, a cartridge specifically made for this pistol. Both were introduced in 1963.

One of the reasons I wanted one of these very first editions of the XP is all the history. When Remington announced the XP in 1963, to say it shocked the gun world is an understatement. Revolvers were the mainstay handgun in the 60s and this new experimental single shot bolt action pistol shooting a new hot long range varmint cartridge was about as far removed from a revolver as you could get. A bolt action pistol? Yes, this new XP pistol used the Remington 40x rifle action and was the very first pistol specifically designed for long range shooting all the way out to 200 yards with the new Fireball cartridge. That was truly revolutionary in the 60s. Most of all for a specialty pistol fan like me, the original XP-100 in 221 Fireball was the very first of them all, the grandparent of all specialty pistols to come, hitting the market a full four years before the TC Contender.

And speaking of history, since the XP-100 first appeared in 1963, the year of the JFK assassination, one of the many rumors about that event is that the "actual" shooter used an XP-100.

Even the cartridge used in these very first XPs is historical. Remington originally designed the XP to shoot the 222 Remington, but the 222 wasn't too efficient in the short 10.5" XP barrel, so Remington trimmed back a 222 case to reduced powder capacity more suitable for a 10.5" barrel, creating a new cartridge they called the 221 Fireball, Fireball because of the still impressive muzzle flash.The "Fireball" monicker was originally something of a joke with the Remington designers, but the name stuck. The cartridge is anything but a joke, though. The secret behind the Fireball is the higher pressure than the 222. This allows the Fireball to shoot at almost the same velocity as the 222 out of the 10.5" barrel, but doing it with less powder. That way of improving efficiency in a pistol barrel was later used in many of the cartridges designed specifically for the TC Contender 10" barrels. Historically speaking, then, in 1963 the 221 Fireball was the fastest "designed specifically for a pistol" cartridge with velocities that could exceed 3000 fps in a rifle barrel and 2600 fps in the original 10.5" barrel.

221 Fireball next to a 7mm-08 (also loaded in later versions of the XP)

As for this particular example of a 221 Fireball XP, this 1967 vintage XP is about as mint as you will ever find. No cracks in the nylon stock or rib and it even came with the original XP soft case, itself a collector item. I'll probably add a period correct vintage scope on this one in keeping with the XPs long range pedigree.

Yeah, traditional the XP is not, unless the tradition is that of the specialty pistol class. In that case, the XP is the most traditional of them all.
3 x

pennsylvaniapete
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: Original Remington XP-100 at last

Post by pennsylvaniapete » Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:37 pm

Wow, I wish I had any production year of the XP-100.
Yours is beautiful.
How much are those things worth?

Pennsylvaniapete
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:30 pm

Congraulations on obtaining a grail gun. It looks like it was well taken care of by the previous owner. It's so nice that you got the pouch with it. Those smalls make it just that much better.
I am very happy for you to have gotten one of the ones you've always wanted.
That was also a nice history of the model. I knew some of it, but you have given a wonderful education on the xp-100 and the .221 fireball. Thank you.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:36 pm

Pretty hard to find any XP version in decent shape for anything less than about $900 these days. Never were very common outside of the specialty pistol community and getting very scarce, now. The Custom Shop versions are especially rare. Over the years, XPs were re-barreled to different chambering by their owners, but standard factory offerings were 221 Fireball, 7mm BR and 223. I have all three of these. Custom shop offerings added even more with 7mm-08, 35 Remington, 22-250, 250-3000 Savage, 6mmBR and 308. There was even a XP-100R repeater version with a rear grip stock through the Custom Shop at the end of the XP run in the mid 90s. Remington did make a prototype in 22 LR in the 90s, but it never made it to the market.

Anyone wanting to get a long range specialty pistol in a centerfire or even rimfire will find a TC Encore or Contender a lot easier to find and more affordable, but even these are disappearing now that TC is no longer in production. Sad to say, the day and age of the specialty long range pistol is about at an end. Most of us grew up with these pistols and we're getting old and disappearing, too. :)
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:39 pm

And thank-you, Dave. We just happened to walk into one of our two local shops to buy some new gloves for the winter when I wandered over to the gun counter to chat with the guys and, yup, there it was. Couldn't believe it. Been hitting gun shows and shops in our area for years and years looking for a mint original Fireball version. You just never know.
4 x

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:31 pm

Sweet pistol. You never know what you might find if your timing is right. Thanks for the history.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:12 pm

You are very welcome. Glad you enjoyed the post.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:34 pm

Very interesting. I'm glad you were able to find yours.

My Holy Grail Gun ... well, there are two, and one I have mentioned several times here and won't beat that dead horse... it's a Colt Gold Cup National Match Stainless. I've covered the reasons.

The second, I don't talk about it much, would be a 4" Blued Colt Diamondback in 38 special to match my 80s era 4" Blued Colt Diamondback .22. That gun is the one all the kids learned to shoot on, and isn't going anywhere, but if I could find that 38 to match, I'd make a custom case for them, and order some custom matching grips. Just because. I found TWO over the years and both were WAY overpriced. I might get lucky before "I" expire.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:44 am

Once again the North Woods Gun Whisperer brings home a beauty that was waiting for her.
Thanks again for a great firearms history lesson.
Looking forward to a range report.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:53 am

I Second CB's request, we are waiting for the Range Report. We KNOW you are going to shoot that thang... as we say here in the south.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.