Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Ruger Blackhawk 41 mag and about time!

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Ruger Blackhawk 41 mag and about time!

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:56 pm

It was some fifty years ago when I was shopping for my first centerfire handgun and in those days I was big into handgun hunting, so naturally I would have to have a magnum for deer hunting. Had to be a single action, of course, so I was debating between a Ruger 44 mag Super Blackhawk and a Ruger 41 mag Blackhawk. I really loved the idea of the 41 mag's balance of power and recoil, but couldn't find one in our town. I did find the 44 mag Super, though, and I've been shooting one ever since. In fact, I got my first ever deer with one. I never did get around to trying a 41 mag, though, but I've always wondered about it. Maybe if I found just the right 41 mag Blackhawk, I'd bring it home.

Well, today was the day. Just the perfect vintage (early NM, pre-warning), great balance, very shootable barrel length (and I will shoot this one), great trigger, shows very little evidence of being shot AND very, very good price! Just couldn't go home without it. Yup, about time I tried the 41 mag.

Got home and looked up the date via the serial number and it came out as a 1976 Blackhawk. 1976? That should have made it a Liberty Ruger, of course, and that would be frosting on the cake, since I have a nice Liberty Ruger collection going. Sure enough!

I was now feeling a little guilty, given the good price my friends at our local shop gave me. I don't think they noticed it was a Liberty Ruger, either, and since a Liberty Ruger adds value to an otherwise nice Ruger, I called the shop and offered to pay more. They declined, of course, and told me just to go out and shoot my Blackhawk 41 mag and enjoy.

That I will surely do and soon.
Last edited by North Country Gal on Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
9 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Ruger Blackhawk 41 mag and about time :)

Post by daytime dave » Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:32 pm

Awesome find NCG. I applaud your offer to pay them more incase they missed it. I'd like to think I would do the same thing. I've given more than asking a few times for things worth it.

I've never shot a .41 magnum, but think it would be a good in between (.357 and .44). I passed on a pristine model 58 nickel last year. Way too much asking price.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:39 pm

Thanks, Dave. Can't blame you on the Smith. Vintage S&W revolvers are crazy high priced, now.
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:50 pm

Nice snag there NCG, and congrats.
I've had a BH 41 for quite some time now, and
it is the cal. that actually got me off the ledge and into reloading.
It was the second pistol that I killed a deer with.
I wanted a Marlin 1894 to pair with it, but
I fooled around and let them get insane before I could grab one. :roll:
So when Henry decided to make one I jumped and got an early production one.

You'll like like the 41, other than sourcing some ammo.

RP
2 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:37 pm

My Single Action collection is growing as well. Nice looking BH...
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:46 am

Its about time. You know what Im gonna say. 41 mag is the king at my house. Congrats on the 200th year model. Id like to run across an old 3 screw myself. Can’t wait for a range report.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:48 am

Great find! 6.5" looks like? Have you settled on ammo yet? I shoot Underwood, usually 210grn XTP in my NMBH and my Henry. It's the most consistent (mv) factory ammo I've found. Hard to beat unless you cook your own. :)
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:30 am

Lotta love for the 41 around here. Back in the day with my S&W M/57 I killed hundreds of steel silhouette targets with mine but never killed a deer with it. And I did carry it hunting several times.

Nice find for you with both a desired revolver found and the icing on the cake with the fact it’s a Liberty model. Frankly, it couldn’t have found a better new owner than you with your appreciation of the model and the Liberty issue. It was meant to be.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:00 am

Congratulations! great find.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Ruger Blackhawk 41 mag and about time!

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:05 pm

Thanks again, guys.

My hunting days are long over. At my age, sitting still out in sub-zero cold any longer than maybe ten minutes and I'd be frozen solid. This is northern Wisconsin and single digits or less is the norm during rifle season. I still love a good venison steak, though, so now and then some of our younger friends who still hunt will supply us with some.

This will be a range gun, then, and I am still shooting as much as our weather allows. Thanks for the heads up on the Underwood factory ammo, Gunny. Yes, I've had great luck with that brand in other calibers, so I'll pick up a couple of boxes. Will try out some less expensive target loads for most of my range work, though, assuming I can find some.

I cleaned this Blackhawk up good last night and was amazed at just how little it's been shot. The cylinder face still looks like it came fresh out of the box, but even more amazing, there is not a single trace of flame cutting on the top strap. In fact, the bluing there is out of the box fresh and even. I suspect this gun spent most of the last fifty years sitting on a shelf or drawer. Yeah, home run on this one.
3 x