Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

What I have been upto lately?

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

What I have been upto lately?

Post by DsGrouse » Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:09 pm

My son-in-law brought over his P80 lower. It is the first Glock frame that doesn't kink my wrist. He got it for 60 bucks plus shipping. Well damn, I've assembled AR's, VQ, 10/22, AR10s, and my own custom 1911s.... Why not a P80?

So, I ordered three. Two full-size g17 and one compact g19-sized frames. While researching slides and all that bruhaha, I accidentally ordered 3 G19-sized slides, not one and two g17 sized slides. Well, crap, the spousal unit said to order two more compact frames and two G17 sized slides.

A bit of searching later, and poof, everything is on the way. I am still waiting on my Suppressor height sights for the full-sized p80s.

Why a p80? A bit of boredom, a bit of curiosity, and a whole lot of can I do this?

The three compacts before breaking them in. The slides are the PSA dagger optic cut, with threaded barrel. One has a zev trigger, and the other two the standard glock triggers. After watching Johny Glocks video on polishing the trigger, go that route, as it is 85% of the zev triggers gains.

The P80 full size with the compact

The P80 full size with basic black slides. The slides have an RMR cut, but no sights as of now.

Range time to break them in. I ended up putting 700 rounds through the five guns and another hundred through my daily carry 365xl.

My range officer during the whole 3 hours of shooting. The dude hung around down by me and didn't seem to be bothered by me or the shooting.

Here is one of the compacts (the one with the zev trigger and a can)
I didn't realize it at the time, but the Nielson device in the can was seized, so it didn't perform as well as I had hoped. Now that the can is clean, I suspect I will not have any problems.

A note, Amend 2 magazines are not great in these p80 lowers. The lips flex too much. Stick with the Magpul or the factory Glock. The factory Glock fed the best out of the three types of mags I tested. I've never owned a Glock. I've shot plenty at ranges and detested the grip angle. These p80 frames alleviate all of that for me.

This is the amend two magazines in the compact
I bought them for the pinky swell and the base. The problem is the base pushes up against the frame, and under recoil, the magazine can self-eject as the next round is chambered. So you end up with no magazine and a stove-piped live round. I filed on the base to see if I could make it fit. It does, but I don't trust them after about 100 rounds using the 15 and the 17-round mag.

The red dot for the one compact with the zev trigger arrived. It looks good. It is a 3moa dot versus the smaller dot I prefer. How did it manage? Pretty good.
10 shots as soon as the dot settled. I hung the dot in the crook of the backward 7.
3 x

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: What I have been upto lately?

Post by DsGrouse » Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:29 pm

So, let's talk tolerance stacking.

First, the sights are on. They finally arrived after 3 fed ex delays. I ordered stuff from the same place 3 days later and that order arrived 5 days earlier.

As I said above, I've done a lot of owner gun mod, assembled my own 10/22, ar15s, ar10s, Ruger mk2, and mk3 guns, 1911s. This isn't exactly new for me. Yet, these two, specifically the full-sized G17, and to a lesser degree, the compact g19 guns, have taught me a lot.

Before I get to what I've learned and how I've dealt with it, here are the two 17-round groups with these two at 30ft.
Gun 1, is more on point, with its group being more spread out. I'll talk more about this in a moment.

Gun 2, a tighter group and fewer issues, I installed the sights a bit too far one way. (I've made adjustments after coming back inside.)

Now on to tolerance stacking. I specked out these guns to be cheap. I'm into these for about 380 shipped, give or take a few cents. So, all these parts were not the cheapest I could find, but the most accessible for the five-gun build. The exception is the wife wanted spiffy triggers on one of the compacts and on her full-size. So, that 380 price includes Zev triggers. I could have had it down to about 330 without those triggers. Given what I know now, I can achieve 85 to 90% of what Zev does on a stock trigger kit.

So what was my issue? the gun would hang up, 1/8 of an inch before going into full battery. If you tilted the gun down and it would go into battery. It did not take much for it to go into battery, but when I started out 80% of the time, it did not. I worked on the locking block/barrel-locking lugs at least five times. I tested the guns between each bit of work. I worked slowly and stopped when I felt I had made some improvement. Why not go whole hog until the gun worked perfectly? Well, the gun will mate together as it is used. In my experience, smaller improvements work better in the long run.

So, not the cheapest parts, but still cheaper. Case in point, the locking block from p80, and the 80% guns Barrel and slide. The barrel has some kind of finish, but the finished area of the locking lugs was thicker and rougher. I applied some bore bright to the locking block and locking lugs. I worked the action for quite a while and looked at where the wear was.

You can see how much of the finish and the rougher stippling on this barrel at the lock-up area.

So that was the barrel; here is the locking block on gun 1. You can see the pebbled finish on the locking block. I smoothed much of that out with some fabric 4k paper. Why did I do this? This combo of barrel, and locking block rubbed together on the left and right. It was one of the areas the bore bright cleaned up first. After a couple of thousand actuations the sides of the barrel locking lugs and the locking block were smoothed up.

Here are gun two's locking lugs. I've applied Sharpie before the shooting session to see where the mating surfaces are. This is an improvement on where I started. Like gun one, gun two's tolerances are stacked to the point of interference.

The locking lugs of barrel two from gun two.

Now gun two did not have the same problem with the sides of the barrels locking lugs binding with the locking block. It's issue was simply tilting back into place. Here you can see how thick and pebbled the barrel's locking lugs were.

So, how are they working now?

Well, both fired two hundred rounds pretty well. The last 150 out of each were without issue. What does that tell me? The guns are smoothing out, and I expect the more I shoot them, the smoother they will become. I am ready to find red dots to put on them and source some more mags (I've been working on three types of compact mags, and two types of g17 mags.

I have stronger spring kits coming, and both will receive an upgraded spring. (I'll start with the 18lbs and work my way up).

A note on the triggers, slides, and all of those mating surfaces. They also needed checking. All 3 zev triggers did not engage the strikers (OEM, or zev) fully. I tried a factory glock pistol and ran into the same issue. I had to heat and bend the tabs on the striker catch on all three. The cheaper Brownells Gen 3 LPK worked out of the bag. The Zev is significantly smoother, but, the trigger bar did drag on the slide; the return tab was also rough and didn't ride smoothly in the slide's kick-out.

I'm not blaming Zev for that as I've got relatively cheap slides, but I did notice it, so even high-end parts can have tolerance issues. In the end, I took my oiled fabric 4k paper and cleaned up the points of contention on all five triggers (two OEM and three Zev). That was the single most significant improvement to the guns. Prior to that, all five would hang up right before the striker's safety plunger. After that, the three compacts had a few issues that normal shooting took care of. The two full sizes were the only ones where I needed to work on the locking block/lugs.
0 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:30 pm

Wow! That is some seriously involved smithing. And a five gun build? Yeah, I guess you know a lot more now. Thanks for the education. And 700 rounds in one range outing?
Very nice report.
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:52 pm

The brass in that bucket above is mostly Norma 9mm. The norma shoots consistently and cleanly. There is one problem; it has a very tiny flash hole.

All of my lee, lyman, and redding depriming die are too big to remove the primer. I happened across a comment from back in 2016 about buying a Mighty Armory spring loaded decapping die with 0.057 pins.

https://www.mightyarmory.com/collection ... apua-brass
https://www.mightyarmory.com/collection ... apua-brass
I picked one up and the decapping pins fit the flash hole. So, today, I ran through about 1200 rounds of my piled-up norma brass.

Finished product

Second note, the wolf springs arrived. I swapped out the factory 17lb for two 19lb.
Factory spring on the left, wolf 19lb on the right.

This is where the slide was catching with the factory spring.

With the 19lb springs it fully locks up.
0 x

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:19 pm

The first batch of the brass is out of the polisher.

Here is another shot of the primer hols. Here are two normal-sized flash holes and the smaller flash hole on the norma case.

Here is the revised drying tray for my food dehydrator. I put some high temp (smoke meats) mesh on it. It keeps the smaller cases from falling through.
0 x

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:28 am

For anyone wondering how many cases were in the bucket, 1796 cases, all primed last night
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:09 pm

Nice stash of 9mm you are working on! I had to do a bit of fitting on my threaded barrel for the Ruger 1911 for it to fully lock in. After some use it locks up every time now. Got to get cleaning on my stash of 45 ACP brass and also load up some more 230 XTP rounds that I like to have around. Mostly shoot all 230 plated round nose.
1 x

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:47 am

I've not started yet on my 9mm, as I am still working on 38spl and 357 magnum. I finished loading 500 38spl. Today I'll start on the 357 magnum.
0 x