Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Super Blackhawk

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Re: Super Blackhawk

Post by Ernie » Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:43 am

Looking at pics on the net I believe the grips are stock with the gun. BM, why would you be concerned about shooting with those grips?
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:49 am

BigAl52 wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:16 pm
Nice guns for sure Marine and Ernie. Cowboy guns rule. There was a Super Blackhawk at my local gun store for sale not to long ago. Think they wanted 750 for it
They sure do. $750 is actually a decent price for a Super in nice shape. Availability of Ruger single actions right now is very tight.

Here's my unfired Liberty (made in 1976) Super Blackhawk and it will remain unfired. I'm currently searching for a nice used SBH for shooting purposes.

Last edited by North Country Gal on Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
3 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:15 am

You guys and gals are having too much fun with wheel guns. I need to grow my collection again now that I’m settled.
2 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:24 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:49 am
BigAl52 wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:16 pm
Nice guns for sure Marine and Ernie. Cowboy guns rule. There was a Super Blackhawk at my local gun store for sale not to long ago. Think they wanted 750 for it
They sure do. $750 is actually a decent price for a Super in nice shape. Availability of Ruger single actions right now is very tight.

Here's my unfired Liberty (made in 1976) Super Blackhawk and it will remain unfired. I'm currently searching for a nice used SBH for shooting purposes.

I had that same gun. We discussed that before. One of my Roommates LOVED that gun and was able to talk me out of it when he got out of the Corps. It was a difficult conversation, but he had just received all his separation pay and kept counting out hundreds until I finally said yes. :twisted: I told him he could buy THREE Single Sixes at the Exchange for that amount, but he wanted the one we had been shooting for the last two years. I threw in the western gunbelt at that price. :lol: I still regret selling him the gun. It was a shooter.
Last edited by BrokenolMarine on Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:31 am

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/973597239

Heres one at my local store. But Im not sure about the return twice to Ruger. Kind of leaves me wondering some.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

PBSnooker
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by PBSnooker » Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:03 pm

Many years ago that hand cannon was my first pistol. I had to put oversized Pachmyr grips on it to keep it for twisting in my hand.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:05 pm

Ernie wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:43 am
Looking at pics on the net I believe the grips are stock with the gun. BM, why would you be concerned about shooting with those grips?
I once was given a set of Mother of Pearl grips for a Snake Eyes Derringer I once owned by an Old Geezer friend of mine when I was a 20 something Marine. (He was a 65 year old retired Tech Sergeant Marine, from WWII) He warned me NOT to shoot the Derringer with the MOP grips on it as they were fragile, to switch back to the walnut grips to shoot the gun and use the MOP grips for display only. I only shot the gun once or twice, with the walnut grips in place. ;) Years later, I gave the gun, with both sets of grips, to a retiring Master Sergeant as his retirement present. He had always coveted the gun. I passed on the same warning. (Funny, now I'm 65 and the Old Geezer.... ) :twisted:
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:30 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:31 am
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/973597239

Heres one at my local store. But Im not sure about the return twice to Ruger. Kind of leaves me wondering some.
Al, I would probably pass on that, myself. Having had a cylinder and barrel replaced indicates the gun was heavily used and/or abused, though if Ruger did the work it would have been done right. Ruger SBHs mostly get very little use by their owners, so you should have no problem finding a nice, lightly used SBH.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:45 pm

Here's what the original grips look like on an Old Model Super Blackhawk or Single Six. On the Old Models, the eagle in the medallion was black against a silver background. When Ruger went to the New Model in the early 70s, the medallion was a silver eagle against a black background, as in my Liberty model, above. Wood was walnut on both, of course.

1 x

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:59 pm

Checked the serial number and found out my gun is not a 1968, it is a 1972.
Looking at options for loading 44 mag. I have several powders on the list to choose from including Tite group, Unique, H110, blue dot, and 2400. Any recommendations?
1 x